GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Did you like it?

Oh, yes, especially the first half of the battle. It felt like it was designed to put the viewer right in the middle of medieval battle chaos (similar to the Normandy scene in Spielberg's SPR). The previous other action scenes in this season were disappointing to me (even the dragons burning the ships scene) but luckily The Battle Of The Bastards made up for it. That's why I wrote "Finally!". The moment when Bolton's soldiers formed a circle with their shields and spears was incredibly doomy. A truly Game Over moment.

bolton-shields.jpg

Alex

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's not the same at all

Indeed. I actually found that part of the battle incredible effective, as Jon Snow almost drowns in a sea of the dead.

Other people seem to prefer the Hardhome battle, which was good, but essentially just a zombie apocalypse.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed. I actually found that part of the battle incredible effective, as Jon Snow almost drowns in a sea of the dead.

Other people seem to prefer the Hardhome battle, which was good, but essentially just a zombie apocalypse.

It was the best damn fantasy zombie apocalypse I have seen committed to film.

What made it so effective was a very long build-up and gradual reveal of these monsters during the whole show, which made you already deadly afraid of them but then seeing a huge tidal wave of them coming was all the more effective and chilling as you knew the Wildlings didn't have a (Jon) snowflake's chance in hell of defeating them.

But still just a zombie apocalypse. That's actually starting to become a slight niggle I have with where the series seems to be going.

The White Walkers and their armies are essentially just zombies. No attempt has been made to instil them with any character or motivation. Sure they are scary, or they used to be. But the more we see them, the less interesting they seem to become.

Just now, Stefancos said:

But still just a zombie apocalypse. That's actually starting to become a slight niggle I have with where the series seems to be going.

The White Walkers and their armies are essentially just zombies. No attempt has been made to instil them with any character or motivation. Sure they are scary, or they used to be. But the more we see them, the less interesting they seem to become.

We are going to get to the root of the whole conflict in the next season. The white walkers or Others have even more nebulous goals in the books. In the series they have now revealed certain backstory that in part explains their existence and thus the reasons they are on their humanity annihilating rampage.

You have eyes but you don't really see, BloodBoal. The resemblance between those two shots is merely superficial. The difference lies in the content or in what the two shots are suggesting. The first shot clearly implies the Jesus figure, the one everyone wants to touch/ to be blessed by. The second one implies pandemonium, carnage and doom!

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You have eyes but you don't really see, BloodBoal. The resemblance between those two shots is merely superficial. The difference lies in the content or in what the two shots are suggesting. The first shot clearly implies the Jesus figure, the one everyone wants to touch/ to be blessed by. The second one implies pandemonium, carnage and doom!

Life and death, ice and fire Alex! Together equilibrium!

8 minutes ago, Incanus said:

It was the best damn fantasy zombie apocalypse I have seen committed to film.

I agree.

Just now, Incanus said:

Life and death, ice and fire Alex!

Ssssst. BloodBoal is not ready yet ...

A 7/10 as always? The girl with no name arc was a fairly cliche. Cersei and her Mountain knight always put fear into me wherever she goes. And surprise, surprise ...

www.cinemablend.comimagessections1415471

... Gilly almost looked like a princess.

Overall, I didn't like all the choices but okay ...

One more eppy to go though ...

Also, characters die, but then they are not really dead. Jon Snow, The Hound, ...

And wasn't The Mountain resurrected as well? If that's the case, bring back Oberyn Martell!

48 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Arya's arc was pretty poor. And the big fight with the other girl was preposterous (Arya gets stabbed, lands in filthy water but is still able to run and fight and doesnt die from some horrid infection?)

It was certainly no Brienne vs The Hound. Because that enthralling 1v1 and Hardhome are the two very finest moments in all of Game of Thrones. 

17 minutes ago, KK said:

And the Battle of the Bastards was done well, but it doesn't match Hardhome.

You didn't feel the storytelling lost lost track of its own setup? It should have completely concentrated on the enclosing of the circle of death formation. It started great with a feeling of total chaos followed by doom and despair but somehow it got muddled ...

Oh I agree Alex, which is why I felt it didn't live up to its big battle predecessor. The claustrophobic nature of the circular formation was impressive, but the predictable LOTR-style Knights of the Vale rescue diminished the spectacle and scale.

Well...hearing about this trailer, I did a Google search and stumbled upon a spoiler. Bugger me!

If anyone is interested...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-7-trailer-hbo-stills-images-arya-jon-sansa-stark-teaser-a7442971.html

The last episode was the least good one, IMHO. I'm not a fan of resolutions and buildups for the next season. Still, the 'Shame' scene (Cersei's revenge) was downright chilling and way better than Sansa's revenge on Ramsay.

wine%20boarding.jpg.CROP.promovar-medium

Alex