GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Since the internet had such a positive response to it, I'm sure there will be more early in Season 7.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Nice easy to understand graphic showing Jon Snow's parentage

13582111_992978427485082_261999412393519

I wonder if Sam will discover this information hidden in the Oldtown library. Otherwise I think they'd need a dragon to smell the Targaryen in him. 

4 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

I wonder if Sam will discover this information hidden in the Oldtown library. Otherwise I think they'd need a dragon to smell the Targaryen in him. 

Yeah, Three Eyed Raven or not, I doubt the word of Bran Stark will suffice to convince most people of Jon's true parentage.

I think Bran is the only one who knows, and he'll get the word to Sansa/Jon in Winterfell somehow

What Sam might find out in Oldtown is if Rhaegar and Lyanna were married or not, as that's the difference between Jon being a bastard or a trueborn king

I just hope there's an interesting endgame for this plot twist, otherwise what's the point? To me, Jon sitting on the Iron Throne is not an interesting endgame. I want to be surprised!

I don't think any of the established characters sitting on the Iron Throne would be a satisfying end game.  The destruction of the kingdom-wide monarchy and setup of each of the 7 Kingdoms having their own ruler, perhaps?

There's no precedent for democracy in the GoT world. No ancient Greece or Rome to harken back to. 

Is there? Was Valyria? Turned out well for them. 

11 hours ago, WojinPA said:

There's no precedent for democracy in the GoT world. No ancient Greece or Rome to harken back to. 

Is there? Was Valyria? Turned out well for them. 

In Valyria anyone who owned land had a democratic vote. Valyria is likely based on both Ancient Rome and Greece, just with a more dramatic downfall. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the exact direction they're going with.

I would have liked to keep reading, but couldn't, because mobile sites are still an absolute affront to humanity.  Utter trash and most sites should be ashamed of themselves for it.  

HBO has published a summary of GOT narrated by Samuel L Jackson

The only thing I don't understand is, it only covers the first 5 seasons.  So why didn't they release this before Season 6 started, instead of once its already over -- or make it longer and include season 6 in it?

19 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Arya forgot to put "Rorge" on that list!

Shhhh! Don't spoil a nice moment with pedantry!

Finally got around to watching the season 6 finale. As a result, I can't write any coherent review because all I can really think of is that cello cue, so some random thoughts will have to do:

- The trial cue was amazing.

- Is it me, or are the choirs they use in GOT nearly always sub standard and does Djawadi's style always totally change for finales?

- I find Jon Snow's revival cheap, but Mellisandra's language is pretty cool there.

- I still hate Cersei, but liked her in the finale.

- Hodor's death was soooo sad.

- Can someone work on a cut where the Waif doesn't spend hours and hours beating Arya? Having said that, that storyline sucks.

- The flahsback result didn't surprise me at all since my brother has been telling me about fan theories on this subject for a year.

- I still want Ros back.

I think I agree with all those points.

I also think this Season 6 album is the best of them all. I like the developments of so many themes and I've listened to this album more than the others combined - infact, as an album, where I just selected mp3s from the previous 5 albums.

Yes, my compilation also seems to focus heavily on season 1 for some reason... Just can't stop listening to Light of the Seven. Also gonna miss Pycelle's 'your grace' mumbling and now I can't help liking Cersei a little bit.

This may have already been posted, but here's Bryan Cogman's explanation of why it seemed like everyone could fast-travel this season

http://www.gamesradar.com/heres-how-those-game-of-thrones-characters-travelled-so-fast-in-season-6/

Yeah I understand the reasoning intellectually, but it still takes me out of the experience while watching the episode. It's just not how my brain has been trained to process visual narratives.

About that, I still think what I thought at the time: having an actor, whose character was clearly dead, show up on set in costume was one many small efforts made towards obfuscation of the main issue that people were interested in during that production period.

On 6/27/2016 at 3:58 AM, Jay said:

Funny how we tried to figured out who'd be king if Tommen died but didn't think what if Margaery died too.

I thought the "line of succession" discussion was purely theoretical! Margaery's fate in Episode 10 was already pretty well known, by that stage, to anyone following the production closely enough without spoiler aversion. In any case, I think the outcome in King's Landing confirms that (at least in the show's world) the line of succession doesn't count for a lot compared to the ability (or the apparent ability) to take and hold power by force...

5 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Margaery's fate in Episode 10 was already pretty well known, by that stage, to anyone following the production closely enough

Wha?  I had no clue she was gonna die.  Why would I follow spoilers to figure that out ahead of time instead of the show revealing it to me?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would I follow spoilers to figure that out ahead of time instead of the show revealing it to me?

You wouldn't! I said that knew about it. (Or, at least, that's what I meant.)

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Why would you do that to yourself?

Heh! You make it sound like some sort of self-flagellation!

It's not that I went reading spoilers and leaks impetuously or without consideration. I generally avoid spoilers for films or TV programmes which I'm likely to watch. For Seasons 2 and 3 of Game of Thrones, I avoided spoilers like the plague; I'd no idea what this "Red Wedding" thing was until about nine months after most of the rest of you. But, at this stage, I'm simply not in it for the (potential) thrill that can come from not knowing what will happen - something which is really only relevant for the first viewing anyway.

So is there a GoT OST track that even comes close to being as good as "Light of the Seven"?  I've never paid much attention to the music in the show over the past 5 years since I started watching (outside of the main theme of course) but I have to admit "Light of the Seven" is just a fantastic cue.

I find myself on the verge of actually buying the Season 6 soundtrack!  It helps that it's only $9.99 on Amazon.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So is there a GoT OST track that even comes close to being as good as "Light of the Seven"?

Nope!