Thor (Patrick Doyle)

Brónach

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When there is a new and upcoming composer and is sounding like Zimmer, ok , it's understandable.

But when an established composer with his own style is turning to a Zimmer clone is a real pity.

And I'm sure it's not the composer's (or composers') fault but the directors'!

Producer's, rather. I think Branagh would be the last one to demand a Zimmer sound from Doyle.

That said, I still haven't heard the score and still have hopes for it.

Producer's, rather. I think Branagh would be the last one to demand a Zimmer sound from Doyle.

That said, I still haven't heard the score and still have hopes for it.

If you liked Jablonsky's first Transformers soundtrack, you may like this one. If not, then I'd be surprised if you do. It's the same kind of generic, low-grade musical entertainment, which, at times, can albo be surprisingly catchy.

It doesn't sound note for note the same, but it's basically the same RCP-type of writing - it has already been pointed out well enough by Prometheus in the review section:

It sounds completely Venturised, IMHO. Same mechanical, soulless ostinati; pompous taiko drums; 'power anthem' chord progressions; and sentimental piano tinkering.

And here I was thinking we've moved past those days of "EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE ZIMMER WHAAA WHAAAA WHAAAA"

No, composers or their bosses don't let this happen.

Thank god Doyle wrote Goblet Of Fire before Thor.

Oh don't worry. The old acoustic Doyle is alive and well. It is one of the best scores of 2011 already, easily. :)

Karol - who has yet to hear Thor

OK I just finished my first listen.

I can see why many people are disappointed. But then Doyle was probably asked to take a more streamlined and simple modern route. And as such, the score is very successful, I think. This kind of approach wasn't right for Eragon, but this is a real blend of action movie, myth and superhero genres. And the score reflects that. There is some really lovely string writing in there. We find also quite a bit of modern ostinato driven action. And it works. Mostly because it is done with a sense of regal (god-like) elegance. It is clearly Patrick Doyle, of Shakespeare adaptations' fame, with all his trademark hymnal writing, but in contemporary blockbuster context. We'll see if it holds up after repeated listens. For now I find it to be quite enjoyable 71 minute album.

Oh one more thing. You know what would be absolutely perfect for Thor?

lair.jpg

Karol

OK I just finished my first listen.

I can see why many people are disappointed. But then Doyle was probably asked to take a more streamlined and simple modern route. And as such, the score is very successful, I think. This kind of approach wasn't right for Eragon, but this is a real blend of action movie, myth and superhero genres. And the score reflects that. There is some really lovely string writing in there. We find also quite a bit of modern ostinato driven action. And it works. Mostly because it is done with a sense of regal (god-like) elegance. It is clearly Patrick Doyle, of Shakespeare adaptations' fame, with all his trademark hymnal writing, but in contemporary blockbuster context. We'll see if it holds up after repeated listens. For now I find it to be quite enjoyable 71 minute album.

Oh one more thing. You know what would be absolutely perfect for Thor?

lair.jpg

Karol

For me Coronation by Ilan Eshkeri will be a great Thor Main Theme: http://grooveshark.c...on/2jdM8P?src=5