What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I've never seen Big Trouble in Little China, just saying that from what I've gather, anyone who sees it for the first time ever when they are like, in their 30s or 40s, probably won't like it, but those who loved it when it was a new movie in the 80s and they were younger, will always love and defend it.

"Did you pay your dues, Alvar?"

Just now, Jay said:

I've never seen Big Trouble in Little China, just saying that from what I've gather, anyone who sees it for the first time ever when they are like, in their 30s or 40s, probably won't like it, but those who loved it when it was a new movie in the 80s and they were younger, will always love and defend it.

Unlike Top Gun, which takes itself seriously. Big Trouble is more like an action comedy.

Yea, that's a great point actually, Top Gun does take itself too seriously, it doesn't really go that far into the fun zone.  It tries some comedy with a guy always spilling coffee whenever Tom Cruise does a fly-by of their ship, which fell flat every time.

There was also serious pacing flaws like a random volleyball game that served no purpose, etc.  If they film had been 10-15 minutes shorter and had more songs instead of reusing the same parts of the same songs so many times it would have helped a lot.

I don't think so.  I mean, I get why a bunch of teenagers joined up after seeing it, because all the pilots are portrayed as badasses, and there's a bunch of shots of planes flying around and doing all kinds of things.

But the bulk of the runtime is spend on character development, the love story, and his inner struggles, there's like 4 scenes of them actually in the air doing stuff

An interesting tidbit about Top Gun's use of the Super 35 format on Wikipedia that Stefancos would find interesting:

"It also received much early publicity for making the cockpit shots in Top Gun possible, since it was otherwise impossible to fit 35 mm cameras with large anamorphic lenses into the small free space in the cockpit."

The Glass House

Surprisingly decent, if not average thriller that puts the lead in that frustrating situation where no-one else believes her.

Shin Godzilla

This is how you make one of these flicks properly. I wish I'd seen this as a child, although the political satire might have flown over my head back then.

Bokeh

Bokeh-Poster.jpg?ssl=1

Intrigued by the movie's title I decided to watch this apocalypse movie on Netflix. It's clearly a cheap independent movie but the real problem is the uninteresting, naive, amateurish writing and the bad acting of the female part. 3/10

bokeh_maika_monroe.jpg

Alex

2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Is it about out-of-focus bits?

Spoilers ahead:

No, the guy is just a photographer. During their trip in Iceland, they wake up one morning to find that all the people of the world are gone (not many people live in Iceland anyway). At first the couple is scared and confused, then they enjoy the world without people, and they enjoy each other. But in the end, the girl can't deal with a world without her friends and family, and so she does something 'dramatic' that makes her boyfriend the last human on earth. It's what people call a depressive movie. I think that Koray might like it.

bokeh-mv-4.jpg

Alex

On 26/7/2017 at 6:19 PM, Jay said:

Related image

Top Gun

Marcy and I watched this the other weekend because we had never seen it, and it was supposed to be this classic 80s movie.

Well, we both thought it was completely terrible!

The cast is fine, but everything else was subpar; Bad story, bad dialogue, boring action scenes, poorly handled love story.  The film didn't even have any real bad guys; It's just them in training for 90%, then one final action scene where Russians are suddenly bad guys, but it wasn't handled well.  I have no problem with a film where the conflict comes from the hero's internal struggle to overcome loss and other personal struggles, but this isn't an example of telling that kind of story well, at all!

The love story was so tacky, they meet, have like one further scene together, then her third scene she's all "I've fallen for him!".  I generally like Tom Cruise is about all his movies I've seen him in, but here he was severely lacking in charisma, so much so they have scenes where other characters have to tell the love interest how lucky she is to have him.

I'm sure the aerial footage was thrilling at the time, but I found it to be edited poorly, with every scene feeling repetitive and too long, like they spent so much money on getting these shots they felt obliged to use them all.  I'm totally all for shooting things for real instead of using all CGI, but you still have to have a good pace and flow to what you shot!

The music was poorly handled too; I'm not going to say the pop songs in the movie are bad, I mean they are what they are, but they were also repetitive; Danger Zone was used TWICE within the first 10 minutes, and both times it was the same opening bit of the song - same with Take My Breath Away, it was used 3 times I think, each time the opening part of the song again.

Truly a terrible movie with nothing for me to recommend at all.  I think all its fans are ones who first saw it when they were kids, like a lot of other 80s movies like The Goonies or Big Trouble in Little China or whatever.

Top Gun takes itself seriously but you shouldn't!

it also plays Danger Zone three separate times. Heart of stone Jay, heart of stone!

I thought you were going to point out that for Maverick to get the close photo of the MiG pilot, the jets would be overlapping each other. Nobody ever dwells on that. 

2 minutes ago, Woj said:

I thought you were going to point out that for Maverick to get the close photo of the MiG pilot, the jets would be overlapping each other. Nobody ever dwells on that. 

You shouldn't dwell on any aspect of it!

10 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Top Gun takes itself seriously but you shouldn't!

it also plays Danger Zone three separate times. Heart of stone Jay, heart of stone!

I didn't take it seriously though; I went in expecting a fun summer popcorn movie, that would have scenes and lines that would make me go "oh, that's where that's from", cause its supposed to be such a "classic". But it was just kinda boring, with no memorable dialogue to speak of or any really good memorable scenes.  It was just a stupid 80s movie.  No big deal.

And I'm not saying the songs like Danger Zone are bad songs, simply that they shouldn't have repeated the first minute of them throughout the movie, they should have had more variety.

Just now, Jay said:

I didn't take it seriously though; I went in expecting a fun summer popcorn movie, that would have scenes and lines that would make me go "oh, that's where that's from", cause its supposed to be such a "classic". But it was just kinda boring, with no memorable dialogue to speak of or any really good memorable scenes.  It was just a stupid 80s movie.  No big deal.

And I'm not saying the songs like Danger Zone are bad songs, simply that they shouldn't have repeated the first minute of them throughout the movie, they should have had more variety.

Ah maybe you're right, maybe you do have to see it at an early age. It's a silly movie I put on from time to time when I just want a silly movie. I think it fits in the "so bad it's good" category. 

The need for speed line is a classic though. 

Check out the Honest Trailer by the way, it's one of the rare good ones!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I also think Top Gun is a worthless piece of crap that shouldn't even be enjoyed ironically.

Youre a worthless piece of crap! 

:crymore:

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I didn't take it seriously though; I went in expecting a fun summer popcorn movie, that would have scenes and lines that would make me go "oh, that's where that's from", cause its supposed to be such a "classic". But it was just kinda boring, with no memorable dialogue to speak of or any really good memorable scenes.

But Big Trouble In Little China has plenty of that. Hence your comparison was bad.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Big Trouble In Little China has plenty of that. Hence your comparison was bad.

I have tried to watch that movie twice in my life, and both times inspired me to stop watching the movie and just have sex. 

:eh:

I need to try to watch this movie more often. 

Does Quint think Hans Zimmer scored Top Gun, and not Harold Faltermeyer?  Or was he replying to some other line of posts?

It was a similar-ish score to Beverly Hills Cop, but less fun and funky and more serious.  Still very 80s, though!

TOP GUN is s truly awful film. It's an empty, narcissistic, exercise, which is always looking in the bathroom mirror, to check to see how cool it is...which it's not. In that respect, it's the perfect 80s movie.

Cruise must have been the first actor in film history to go from brother, straight to brother.

Die Hard. 

Shamefully I'd never seen this before but it's a hell of a lot of fun. 

Bruce Willis with hair is unnerving. 

Alan Rickman is a massive loss to cinema. 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Great film, though the third one is obviously the best one (expect people who are wrong to disagree with this statement).

I was given a lend of 1 and 3.... does this mean I have to watch 3?