What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

WHD is loaded with too many modern Emmerichisms like bad CGI, dodgy blue/green screen work that looks unfinished, and lame characters. There's a raw simplicity in Universal Soldier that makes it superior.

Is that the one with the 300 guy? I liked it for the reasons you mentioned. A perfectly bad but good movie.

Just now, Quintus said:

Is that the one with the 300 guy? I liked it for the reasons you mentioned. A perfectly bad but good movie.

No, you're thinking of Olympus Has Fallen.  I much preferred White House Down, which starred Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The 1996 Summer movie season is one of my favorites of all time.

There are a bunch of really good movies, but these 4 alone!  Lots of good popcorn entertainment!

Twister

Mission: Impossible

The Rock

Independence Day

Ahhh, The Rock ... back when Bay wasn't an asshat. 

Speaking of 90s actioners ...

The Peacemaker - hadn't seen this Clooney 'n' Kidman number for 20 years. Pleasingly, it held up rather well ... pacy and tense, with lots of action.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Ah, you see, when I watched it, all I could think of was "Is this how the ID4 sequel is gonna look and feel?" -- my fears were confirmed.

Edit: Oh shit, you're talking about OHS. Well WHD is terrible.

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Are you looking forward to Devlin's mess of a new disaster film?

I'll be interested at least to see how he fares as a director. He worked as 2nd unit director on ID4, and I've seen footage of him almost co-directing with Emmerich in old EPK footage.

Geostorm looks like standard fare though.

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's as if ID42 doesn't even exist.

It's interesting you say that because all the more recent Universal Soldier movies have ignored the second one, which is no longer canon.

The same could potentially be done if Fox wants to ever make a proper sequel to ID4. However I suspect they'd have to get past Emmerich first, who I speculate has the IP tied up with his production company (to avoid another Stargate SG-1), otherwise Fox would have moved much quicker on a sequel with or without him.

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

When has any film with Will Smith performed to expectations in recent years?

Well Suicide Squad is the only blockbuster he has starred in since Men In Black 3, which performed extremely well. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Cinematic? I'm guessing this wasnt BBC?

The way it was framed, lit, shot, edited, and scored all served to make it seem like a long feature-film had been cut into smaller parts. Apart from GOLDENEYE, it's Martin Campbell's greatest achievement.

Searching For Bobby Fisher - 8 / 10

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, that one could have been better.

I mean it has a lot of imaginative scenes & visuals, but at least 20% of that film is a blatant product placement for Papa Johns and it's not handled very well either. Lord!

cherry-2000_340px.jpg

I kind of liked this one. Give me 80s (any genre), and sci-fi in particular, and I will most likely enjoy it!

However, the thing that did a big impression on me (and in a negative way) was the Basil Poledouris score.

I often felt it didn't fit the scenes it was composed for, at all! Especially action scenes! :huh:

And I very rarely get this feeling that a score doesn't fit the film.

33 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

cherry-2000_340px.jpg

I kind of liked this one. Give me 80s (any genre), and sci-fi in particular, and I will most likely enjoy it!

However, the thing that did a big impression on me (and in a negative way) was the Basil Poledouris score.

I often felt it didn't fit the scenes it was composed for, at all! Especially action scenes! :huh:

And I very rarely get this feeling that a score doesn't fit the film.

I remember avoiding that movie like the plague. I mean, look at that poster! How could this be good?!

19 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I remember avoiding that movie like the plague. I mean, look at that poster! How could this be good?!

The poster is very misleading regarding her clothes! :lol:

I expected, she would be like this in the entire movie, but she wore that top for a few minutes, and it wasn't wide open like this!

I Imagine the frustration of many who went to see the movie just for this!

Blood Father

Exciting, Mad Mel thriller with almost the same premise as the last one I watched.

There's only one issue I have with movies like this - how the hell can the goodies so successfully evade the psycho baddies, but they somehow manage to find them everywhere, every single time? Are they omnipotent? If only the police had the detective skills these maniacs have!

Erin Moriarty, who plays Mel's daughter is a cheeky little thing. I hope she's in more good flicks.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why would a movie like that need a classy poster, Alex? 

Classy poster for a classy movie. I mean look at it, it looks better than Kubrick.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why would a movie like that need a classy poster, Alex? 

It doesn't it!

Cherry-2000-Poster-Art.png

But this one is way better!

The Russia House

Intelligent, emotional, entertaining and complex. Spy thriller, political drama and love movie all at once - and it works! Brilliant!

It's a joy to see Jerry Goldsmith scoring such an excellent movie, which is quite rare. His music was truly not wasted in that movie!