The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Koray Savas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I despise the "score" for the Social Network. IMO this dude's Oscar win is the biggest steal since Santaolalla's. However, the gritty techno-punk-ish elements and creepiness of the novels (which will carry over into these new movies based on the trailer) might just be a good fit for Reznor's style.

I am worried though that it'll all be this atmospheric droning crap. The books are so richly layered with different characters and themes that it should be great inspiration for a composer to create a wealth of themes.

I don't think Reznor can write a decent tune to save his life though. Not for movies at least.

Sigh... When did composers become sound designers and sound designers composers?

the trailer for the film is among the worst I've ever seen. Definately a film to avoid.

the trailer for the film is among the worst I've ever seen. Definately a film to avoid.

You said something similar for Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. ;)

yes and I was wrong, but I won't be here, it's a David Fincher film, so it will be a piece of crap, no doubt the critics will love.

The swede who wrote this stuff had the same writting talent as Stephenie Meyer.

Stephanie Meyer proved that you don't need talent to make a fortune. If only any of us could turn the stories of our lives into multi-million-dollar winning books and movies.

Anybody seen artyjeffrey?

Stephanie lives with glittering vampires? Or it's just a metaphor for mormons.

I'm afraid that's not what I meant.

I have an idea what you meant. I'd personally love to have our arguements filmed, of course I'd embelish them and have lots of CGI effects and explosions, and then Stefan would vanquish us, you to cleveland and me to texas.

What, vanquish and banish? I fail to understand the point, if we'd both be dead.

And who gave Stefan the power?

well lets be honest, we can't really die, and Stefan gave Stefan the power, you'll be stuck watching Peyton Hillis rush for 200 yard and 17 touchdowns on the Steelers and I'll be in Longhorn country with thousand giving me the hook'em horns sign.

As Charlton Heston says, it's a mad house, a mad house.

Love Fincher, love Reznor, love SOCIAL NETWORK (both score and film) and I love what I'm hearing in that clip.

I was not so hot on the Swedish original film, but in Fincher's hands, anything can turn into gold.

At least it won't aggressively ruin every scene containing "music"; I was afraid it would all be like in that horrible, horrible trailer. It may even work for the movie, but still has nothing to do with good film music; it's hard to believe that this is what Fincher likes to hear in his movies. Why couldn't he stay in contact with Desplat?

In any case, not in a thousand years would I ever buy this soundtrack.

Goldenthal is the best composer Fincher ever worked with. Every filmmaker wants this electrotrash to fit the "darker psychology" of their films, but I think that is the type of thing Goldenthal is perfect for, except is not offensive to the ear.

At least it won't aggressively ruin every scene containing "music"; I was afraid it would all be like in that horrible, horrible trailer. It may even work for the movie, but still has nothing to do with good film music; it's hard to believe that this is what Fincher likes to hear in his movies. Why couldn't he stay in contact with Desplat?

So let me get this straight: The music could be perfect for the film and be effective, yet be bad film music? A bit contradictory don't you think? Could you define good film music for me, by the way?

Also, Fincher never worked with Desplat.

Uh, yes he did work with Desplat. Curious Case of Benjamin Button, remember?

I'm definitely not a fan of Trent Reznor's efforts on TSN. A Desplat score in A Prophet mode, Shore revisiting Seven territory, or even Goldenthal would've done wonders for something like Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It's like with Christopher Nolan, Fincher is frustrating with his composer choices since the movies he makes are terrific. Both Nolan and now Fincher favor a more sound-based score than something emotional or orchestral.

Such a shame.

Much the same reactions here as over at FSM, then. Too bad.

This is really the kind of music I listen to these days -- ambient, textural soundscapes, like Isham's CRASH and IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH, Mansell's MOON, Martinez' SOLARIS, Yared and Underworld's BREAKING AND ENTERING and so on. Far more often than I do busy, orchestral music in the tradition of Williams et.al.

So I can never get enough of it. I just hope the rest of the score is as intriguing as the clip above.

This is really the kind of music I listen to these days -- ambient, textural soundscapes, like Isham's CRASH and IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH, Mansell's MOON, Martinez' SOLARIS, Yared and Underworld's BREAKING AND ENTERING and so on. Far more often than I do busy, orchestral music in the tradition of Williams et.al.

Of those I've heard, I find them to be much better than the clips above. Ambient, textural soundscapes, yeah, but they are more than that.

So let me get this straight: The music could be perfect for the film and be effective, yet be bad film music? A bit contradictory don't you think? Could you define good film music for me, by the way?

Well, I think there are many different possible definitions out there; I'm of course speaking for me. And for me, good film music is music that serves the movie well, enhancing the experience of watching the movie, but is also a good listen on its own. I particularly enjoy intricate and intelligent music, usually with a clever use of themes that make it possible to relate to the movie while listening to the music separately. Given that we are at a John Williams fan board, I sort of expected many people would agree.

What I find interesting is, that while I understand that you can love JW-style scores yet also Death Metal, Alternative, Country or whatever other style of music, many people here seem to think that just because they enjoy these disparate styles of music, everyone who doesn't must have no taste. I thinks this borders a little on projection. I'm of course not quite free of such thoughts (it's hard for me to believe that anyone can see any merit in Reznors and Co.'s electro-whatever, but so be it), but at least I try to understand that other people have different tastes.

In any case, Koray, I said that this music may "work for the movie" (I should probably have emphasized even more that it may not almost ruin it like it did for me in the Social Network), not that it would be "perfect and effective" (there is a huge, huge difference, and if you understood it as such, I didn't make myself clear enough); Yes, it can serve as basic mood enhancer for a movie (TSN didn't even do that for me), but still be very bad film music (just watch some Syfy TV movies, and you know what I mean), and, according to my taste, music in general. Good for you guys who like this, bad for me, who had hoped that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would get a score that I would be able to enjoy. At least it will probably not let me exit the theater in horror (hopefully).

Both Nolan and now Fincher favor a more sound-based score than something emotional or orchestral.

Such a shame.

That's actually an interesting point... I think the style of music employed by Reznor (at least judged by what I had to hear so far) is not very good in enhancing specific emotions (I would say it gives some general mood, such as suspense, harshness, etc. at best), and at its core Dragon Tattoo has to deal with some intense emotions, which especially the main character, Lisbeth, hides under seeming indifference or aggression. the movie could really use a first-rate score to enhance these largely hidden and subdued emotions.

Well, I think there are many different possible definitions out there; I'm of course speaking for me. And for me, good film music is music that serves the movie well, enhancing the experience of watching the movie, but is also a good listen on its own. I particularly enjoy intricate and intelligent music, usually with a clever use of themes that make it possible to relate to the movie while listening to the music separately. Given that we are at a John Williams fan board, I sort of expected many people would agree.

What I find interesting is, that while I understand that you can love JW-style scores yet also Death Metal, Alternative, Country or whatever other style of music, many people here seem to think that just because they enjoy these disparate styles of music, everyone who doesn't must have no taste. I thinks this borders a little on projection. I'm of course not quite free of such thoughts (it's hard for me to believe that anyone can see any merit in Reznors and Co.'s electro-whatever, but so be it), but at least I try to understand that other people have different tastes.

In any case, Koray, I said that this music may "work for the movie" (I should probably have emphasized even more that it may not almost ruin it like it did for me in the Social Network), not that it would be "perfect and effective" (there is a huge, huge difference, and if you understood it as such, I didn't make myself clear enough); Yes, it can serve as basic mood enhancer for a movie (TSN didn't even do that for me), but still be very bad film music (just watch some Syfy TV movies, and you know what I mean), and, according to my taste, music in general. Good for you guys who like this, bad for me, who had hoped that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would get a score that I would be able to enjoy. At least it will probably not let me exit the theater in horror (hopefully).

Alright, I get where you're coming from. For me, the job of a film score is to enhance the images and ideas on screen. I personally don't think a composer should even bother thinking about whether it will be a good album. I found Reznor's and Ross's score for The Social Network to work wonderfully with the film. It was truly unique and effective and matched Fincher's visuals well. It was cold and electronic, just the characters. As for this 7-minute cue, or possibly suite, it doesn't do much. I'm sure after hearing the entire product, I will feel differently.

• 1 month later...

Mara looks fantastic in the role, and markedly different from Rapace. But I love how all the UK actors in there (Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Joely Richardson) aren't doing Swedish accents -- it's like they're not even trying. I know Craig has done accents in the past (Munich, Cowboys & Aliens) but choose not to do one for Tattoo, which is lame. If you have six months to prepare for a role, that gives one plenty of time to perfect a Swedish accent.

I also like how Fincher and Zaillian have made Lisbeth a bit more social compared to the book. Lisbeth's silences work well in the book to illustrate her isolation and reluctance to socialize, but it wouldn't work as well on film.

But I love how all the UK actors in there (Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Joely Richardson) aren't doing Swedish accents -- it's like they're not even trying. I know Craig has done accents in the past (Munich, Cowboys & Aliens) but choose not to do one for Tattoo, which is lame. If you have six months to prepare for a role, that gives one plenty of time to perfect a Swedish accent.

Interesting idea, but flawed.

How does doing English with a Swedish accent help believability?

Also Christopher Plummer is not English.

New trailer is up.

Looks good, very very good actually.

http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi3830160409/

really, I think this film looks like a total piece of shit. It's another turd from Fincher.

absolutely nothing about it appeals to me, and the girl with the dragon tatoo with the Freak haircut and facial piercings is repugnant to look at. The music in the other preview, and the pacing was almost as big a turn off as the card that says

A film by David Fincher.

still waiting for Benjamin Button to end....

Most people will agree, that of all the movies Fincher has made, only Alien3 is a turd. Okay, I haven't seen Ben Case And His Curious Buttons but going by the response, it's far from a turd either. Even if he's not your cup of tea, there's always something personal and stylish about his films and the technical level is high.

Alex

Most people will agree, that of all the movies Fincher has made, only Alien3 is a turd. Okay, I haven't seen Ben Case And His Curious Buttons but going by the response, it's far from a turd either.

Alex

you don't have to believe me, but it is a poor cinematic experience. It's the dullest story. Fincher made a movie about a guy who ages backwards dull. There is zero chemistry between the two main stars. Still you should watch it and make your own decision. Finchers Fight Club is a turn. Panic Room is an effort in tedium. He's an excellent video director. He's much better in the short medium.

The subject of a man getting younger doesn't sound very appealing to me. It also sounds like a movie where they used a lot of make-up to show the various stages of age. I don't like that either. That's why I havent' seen it. OTOH, I thought I was going to be bored with The Social Network too, but boy, was I wrong.

But I'm sure it won't be a "turd". If it is, he would've distanced himself from it. ;)

I've already said that Fincher is one of my top favourite directors, and that means I even like ALIEN 3, especially the extended cut, which -- although still a way bit from Fincher's original vision -- fares much better.

I don't see what it solves. The things I hate about the movie are all still there, extended cut or not.

Well, the sequences certainly help flesh out certain narrative points or characters more properly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fincher almost cast Scarlett Johansson in the lead role!!!!!!!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Fincher-Explains-Why-He-Didn-t-Cast-Scarlett-Johansson-Dragon-Tattoo-27358.html

Do you think if he had, she would have gotten nekkid?

This movie is based off of (from what I understand) is supposed to be a really good book, correct? I'm thinking of reading the book after I see the movie that way I wont be disappointed by another movie killing my opinion on a book.

Fincher almost cast Scarlett Johansson in the lead role!!!!!!!

http://www.cinemable...ttoo-27358.html

Do you think if he had, she would have gotten nekkid?

She would've -- Fincher expressly pointed out that if she was cast as Salander, he said that the audience "... can't wait for her to take her clothes off". He said Salander should be like E.T..

This movie is based off of (from what I understand) is supposed to be a really good book, correct? I'm thinking of reading the book after I see the movie that way I wont be disappointed by another movie killing my opinion on a book.

The book is alright. Slow to start but it picks up about halfway through.

Yes, he is.

BTW, Kaya, if you haven't read "Girl Who Played With Fire" yet -- you should. Lisbeth is front-and-center in that book, and I couldn't put it down once I started. "Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" is lengthier, more convoluted and protracted, but I enjoyed it. But with that, you could tell Larsson hadn't fully completed rewrites and trimmed the fat before he died.