Nuking The Fridge versus Fueling the Plane.

19 members have voted

1. 1. Nuke The Fridge versus Fuel The Plane?

• Nuking The Fridge is a far more ridiculous scene
    • Fueling The Plane makes Nuking the Fridge look plausible
    • They are both stupid and ridiculous
    • I like them both.

SPOILERS!

THIS THREAD HAS SPOILERS!

BIG SPOILERS, SPOILERS OF DEATH!

Among the action scenes in Tintin there is a scene were the plane Tintin and Haddock are flying is about to run out of fuel. Haddock climbes out of the cockpit to refuel it in flight, but he forgets the fuel. So he BREATHS into the fuel tank, and his drunken,alcohol ridden breath is so strong that it actually keeps the engine running long enough for them to sort of crash safely.

I dont know if this scene is in the comics. But if this scene was doen in a loive action film, people would find it ridiculous, like they think Nuke the Fridge is ridiculous.

Somehow, in animation, the brain accepts thing it will not accept from live action. spielberg took full advantage of taht fact for Tintin.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People may have other opinions then me Roald. I know it's shocking, preposterous and unwise, but there you go.

Did you see the film btw?

Not yet. Hope to see it next week. Did you already see it..?

DUH!

Why else would i start a thread comparing scenes from 2 recent Spielberg films?

Oh yeah... So; did you like it...? ;)

DUH!

Why else would i start a thread comparing scenes from 2 recent Spielberg films?

He only posted his review in 3 different threads...

:lol:

That's one of the scenes I was thinking of when I said, "The movie's a little over the top..."

The other scene is when the opera singer shatters a bullet-proof (!!!) glass across the hall, which is not even enclosed (!!!), just with her voice!

Still, it's no biggie. The movie as a whole is phenomenal, and these two little details don't change that fact.

I like the Nuke the Fridge scene, but the fueling the tank scene was hilarious. It's not in the books, but it's totally in the spirit of Hergé as others have said

I thought it was quite funny and in the spirit of Hergé.

I'm trying to remember if it was in the books, it certainly could have been.

I don't think it was, no.

Wouldn't "Hanging on the electric line whilst driving the motorcycle and reaching for the falcon" be a better choise.

Or is one big ship flying over another big ship while both are burning on the high sea any more plausible, for that matter?

Hi there.

You know, I didn't get thrown by the fuelling the plane action at all. I rather liked it and it was credible (no need for it to be realistic I'd say) within the tone of the movie and certainly the Captain's behaviour.

More broadly, I didn't think it was any less enjoyable or playfully silly (a strength of Spielberg's work I'd suggest in how he spikes action sequences) than Short Round being pulled back and forth between mine cars for example. In a sense the Captain's weakness for drink became his saving grace in that moment, setting in motion the larger emotional rescue of his character.

Hi there.

You know, I didn't get thrown by the fuelling the plane action at all. I rather liked it and it was credible (no need for it to be realistic I'd say) within the tone of the movie and certainly the Captain's behaviour.

More broadly, I didn't think it was any less enjoyable or playfully silly (a strength of Spielberg's work I'd suggest in how he spikes action sequences) than Short Round being pulled back and forth between mine cars for example. In a sense the Captain's weakness for drink became his saving grace in that moment, setting in motion the larger emotional rescue of his character.

Well said. I found the scene extremely well visualized and downright funny..!

But I must admit, I found that of the 'Nuke The Fridge' scene as well.... The jungle monkeys in KOTCS bothered me a lot more than that damn fridge...

monkey-tragic-indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-2008--630-75.jpg

I thought it was quite funny and in the spirit of Hergé.

I'm trying to remember if it was in the books, it certainly could have been.

It's really great.

He also liked 'nuke the fridge'...

There's nothing half as daft as Indy in the fridge. By comparison the Tintin fuel scene looks like something out of a Mike Leigh film. I like them both, but the latter is on an entirely higher plain of quality, pun intended.

Fueling the plane is the more plausible one for me. Even if it did not happen in the original comics, in the film it works just brilliantly as a joke. I bought it completely, perhaps because of the nature of the film and because it is an animation. And in the end it does not even work, fueling the plane with alcohol breath, Haddock's silly attempt at redemption for drinking the stuff that could have saved them or prolonged the flight a bit further wasted. But it is a fun scene in every respect, in spirit of the roller coaster ride that is the Adventures of Tintin.