Grammys!

ST-321

The nominations are out. It looks like JW has two nominations:

Composing/Arranging - Best Instrumental Composition

(A Composer's Award for an original composition (not an adaptation) first released during the Eligibility Year. Singles or Tracks only.)

? Hedwig's Theme

John Williams, composer (John Williams)

Track from: Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone - Soundtrack

Film/TV/Visual Media Best Score Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

(Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series or other visual media.)

? Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

John Williams, composer (John Williams)

[Warner Sunset Records]

--------Other nominated scores -------------------

? A Beautiful Mind

James Horner, composer (James Horner)

[Decca Records]

? The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring

Howard Shore, composer (Howard Shore)

[Reprise Records]

? Monsters, Inc.

Randy Newman, composer (Randy Newman)

[Walt Disney Records]

? Spider-Man

Danny Elfman, composer (Danny Elfman)

[sony Music Soundtrax/Columbia Records]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The competition is stiff for the Best Instrumental Composition category:

Hedwig's Theme - from "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (Williams)

The Ride of the Doors - from "Monsters, Inc." (Randy Newman)

Inspiration (Kenny Werner) -- not from a film

Signs Main Title (James Newton Howard)

Six Feet Under Main Title (Thomas Newman)

I love all the tracks from the films and the TV show. Every single one of them belongs in this category. It would be a very hard choice to make. I love Hedwig's Theme, of course. The Ride of the Doors was my favorite sequence in the film, and I knew "Signs" was going to be a great film after hearing the main title music. And though I don't watch "Six Feet Under" since I don't have cable, I do like hearing the music when I do watch it.

As for the soundtrack award, it's just another round from the Oscars (for those who don't know, the Grammys awards year runs from the beginning of September 2001 to August 2002, which is when all of these soundtracks were released). Of course, AI is replaced by Spider-Man, but that's not an equal replacement.

It will be great to see JW get another Grammy, and I think he should for Hedwig's Theme. As we all know, it is an exciting piece of music that ends in that wonderful Williams BANG.

And I can't understand why Spiderman is nominated for best score  :wow:

Maybe because it was good?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Mine is that the score to Spider-man by Danny Elfman was extremely well done.

I have noticed that a lot of people criticised the score for not having a 'hummable' theme that sticks in you mind when you leave the theater. You know, like one for Superman or Batman.

And everyone immediately says that if the superhero doesn't have a great theme, the score must be bad.

Unfortunately those reviewers who already seem to have made up their mind about the music don't take the time and really listen to the score that it was intended for in the movie. You'll find that Elfman really took the time to write some wonderfull themes. You just can't hear them in the movie or when you listen to the soundtracks on cd once.

But there is actually a real Spider-man theme! And one that sounds great and one that I find myself humming and whistling quite a lot.

Then there are of course some great subthemes, most notably for the character of Peter Parker, one for his relationship with Mary Jane Watson and a great Evil theme for the Green Goblin (my personal favourite).

When you watch the movie and pay attention to the music at the same time you'll notice that Elfman is really good at creating an overall 'superhero' sound. And you can also hear that he had great fun while writing the score. The action cues are top notch and they're some of the best 'ol Danny has done in a long time. Plus and the endings of both 'Parade Attack' and 'Farewell' offer some of Elfman's most beautiful choral work since Edward Scissorhands. Especially the latter is absolutely gorgeous and mends perfectly with the exciting visuals that are presented on screen.

That's why I think those Grammy people nominated Danny Elfman. :sigh:

Of course the score is not so good as FOTR, which I personally hope will win the Grammy. ;)

maybe the Grammys can correct the mistake the Oscars made and not allow FOTR's dog of a score to win. Harry Potter is so much better.

At least two of the PS tracks are already in my top 30 or so Williams tracks of all time ,and one probably in my top 10:Hedwig's Theme and Harry's Wondrous World.

K.M.Who thinks those tracks are Williams at his very best.

you know, when i taught those two songs to the kids and used my listening maps, they were COMPLETELY enthralled and could totally pick out each theme..... and I personally could never get tired of listening to them.

Personally, I hope Danny Elfman wins for Spider-Man... because it was good. As much as I thought The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring was good as well, Shore got the naked golden rod, so he's out for me.

About Spider-Man being criticized for not being "hummable" (what kind of bloody word it that to defame a score?), I actually found it extremely memorable and deserving of official recognition, thank you very much. I also find it unfortunate that his scores have been overlooked all over the past decade for whatever reason. But that's just my opinion.

;)

I have noticed that a lot of people criticised the score for not having a 'hummable' theme that sticks in you mind when you leave the theater. You know, like one for Superman or Batman.  

And everyone immediately says that if the superhero doesn't have a great theme, the score must be bad.

Funny, I don't like the score and I think it has a quite hummable theme, only one... and a pathetically short one but any how.... the rest of the score is just a mess to my ears.

I've always said that Shore deserved his FOTR Oscar over Williams. But I've also always said that Williams deserves a Grammy for the Potter score.

Heretic! I smite thee and call apon the truily devout. A holly crusade to drive the evil Shore worshiper out of this land!

Back to the topic,who cares about grammys?Quincy Jones has truckfulls and he's not really great

K.M.Who never watches that.

So you missed John Williams conducting a live orchestral suite of Star Wars music in 1999?

Same here, it's not a bad score, far from it actually, but it's hardly remarkable in any way.

Stefancos-  :?

the movie was quite sweet and good, IMHO, add that to what I call a sympathy vote for Newman and there you have it.

And hedwig's theme MUST win the grammy.

I like the Spider-Man score quite a lot too, particularly the Main Titles. But it's nowhere near Harry Potter, nor is any other score on the list. Hedwig and Potter should win.

Ray Barnsbury

Why are some of the nominations from last year?

Because the eligiblity period is October 1 through September 30 of the awards year. So, for the 45th annual awards, the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences considered only releases from October 1, 2001 to September 30, 2002.

In other words, they're weird.