The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

I had never heard of this Klaw guy before either. Not that I'm an expert in Marvel comics by any means, but he must be on the more obscure side

I'd never heard of him either, but he looks the part. Weird, a beard with no mustache, but that's the character. Sound solidified, wearing a sonic emitter of sorts? OK.....

According to FSM user Adam Krysinski, Brian Tyler has already written the score, and

Recording session started today at Abbey Road Studios in London with London Philharmonic Orchestra !

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=100844&forumID=1&archive=0

I'm not surprised Tyler's already recording the score. The film has to be done early to mid-April, in order to get prints ready for the international roll-out in late April and then its U.S. release on May 1.

I wonder if the AFM will attack Disney over recording outside of Hollywood.

They already did it for Iron Man 3 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Wouldn't be surprised if they did picket again, but Marvel and Disney can use their tax credits as they see fit.

I don't think Watchmen could be translated successfully to big screen, to be honest. Snyder gave his best shot and it's probably as close as you can get. But that doesn't make a good adaptation or even a good film.

Karol

Which is good for you.

The thing is Watchmen as done by Snyder is a superhero film, whereas Watchmen comic book was about superhero genre. The director seemed to be determined to match everything, from camera moves to colour palette to basic plot. But he missed core point of the thing he promised to religiously realise on screen. Thus, he turned his film into what it's source material was mocking.

Plus, he turned his villain from the smartest person on Earth to quite dumb.

Karol

The thing is Watchmen as done by Snyder is a superhero film,

We must have seen a different movie. I saw a malfunctioning vigilante group of psychos.

I see crazy guys in even more crazy suits trying to kill off each other. The smart one says his former friends have to die or bow to his vision. Is it too far out? Is this not in the comic book?

I'm talking about filmmaking/choreography/superhero moves. That goes completely against the supposed "realism" of the premise. But even that got somewhat sacrificed when Snyder decided to replicate comic book panels. You see, as long as something is drawn on page, it feels more real than live-action adapatation of the same thing. A lot of stuff in comics works on a symbolical level and when it's directly translated, the meaning is lost. So the fake drawing in a way is more "real" than moving image. Because your brain is forced to fill in a lot of gapes, depict movement and stuff. So comic medium is more advanced in that sense than film. Funny but true.

But then, you two are of the group that thinks comics is worthless medium anyway, as it's unfortunately labelled by mainstream audiences. In fact it might one of the most underrated artform of all. And underused, too.

But I might be wasting my time here...

Karol

Here's the problem. Snyder intended to do the ultimate adaptation. That was his intention - to match original as accurately as possible for a 200 million film. And I can judge that.

Now, with stuff like Blade Runner it is a different. Because the source material is so different and Ridley Scott, along with his crew, created a completely unique vision that wasn't a "moving and talking" replica of Dick's story. So there is some artistic merit to whatever they were doing.

Karol

Exactly! Adaptation!

You cannot translate a book or comic book to screen without adapting it from one medium to another. A word for word, or this case panel to panel retelling on film would be completely pointless.

Having attempted to read the comic, i found it unappealing visually, and wasn't getting nearly as much out of it that I was getting from the film.

That doesn't mean I dismiss it though, just....apples and oranges.

Exactly! Adaptation!

You cannot translate a book or comic book to screen without adapting it from one medium to another. A word for word, or this case panel to panel retelling on film would be completely pointless.

That's not what I meant. He's doing just that, replicating imagery and superficial content, without even understanding the context of these things.... and then missing the larger message of this story.

If that's what "adaptation" is, then cinema is doomed!

Believe me or not, I can actually see your point. But that's not the standpoint I can relate to personally.

Karol

I don't see the fighting in Watchmen as typical superhero movie fighting. It's a lot more violent than Marvel, but yes, the landing pose is a comic book movie cliché. I'm sure it's meant tongue-in-cheek. Watchmen is also a movie about movies. ;)

I don't see the fighting in Watchmen as typical superhero movie fighting. It's a lot more violent than Marvel but yes the landing pose is a comic book movie cliché. I'm sure it's meant tongue-in-cheek. Watchmen is also a movie about movies. ;)

The way I see it, it's there mostly because of the film's budget. So that whoever financed this thing is assured more people will turn up to see it and won't get (completely) bored. No real point of it being there.

Karol

If money was the sole motivation, like Crocs seems to suggest, then there would've been a lot more action and other big public stuff. Snyder happens to love choreography. Is the choreography realistic? Nope! Then again, nothing is realistic about Watchmen. Everything is exaggerated, especially the storytelling style, but that's why I love it.

If money was the sole motivation, like Crocs seems to suggest, then there would've been a lot more action and other big public stuff. Snyder happens to love choreography. Is the choreography realistic? Nope! Then again, nothing is realistic about Watchmen. Everything is exaggerated, especially the storytelling style, but that's why I love it.

Well, he does inject action whenever he can. And he doubles the cataclysm multiple times from what it was originally.

My point still stands.

Karol

I find it really fascinating how re-watchable this film is. There doesn't seem to be anything remotely distinctive about it. The whole enterprise is just one big marketing gimmick. But the ingredients are so well mixed together, that it just... works.

Karol

Well, he does inject action whenever he can.

Karol

Then why is there so little action? There's more action in Nolan's Batman movies. One of the most heard complaints is that it sucks because there isn't a lot of action.

I find it really fascinating how re-watchable this film is. There doesn't seem to be anything remotely distinctive about it. The whole enterprise is just one big marketing gimmick. But the ingredients are so well mixed together, that it just... works.

Karol

It's perfect comfort food.

Yes!

Then why is there so little action? There's more action in Nolan's Batman.

Because he's adapting an already written story and he can have any more if he doesn't to deviate any further. There are no real action sequences in the comic book. If any.

Karol

Apparently the audience at large thought it wasn't 'fixed' enough. They felt they were watching a talkative drama. They want fun and action like The Avengers.