Twin Peaks - am I the only one?

Kevin

This isn't meant to be an inflammatory post but I certainly know who will respond instantly to it.

Am I the only one who thinks that Twin Peaks isn't that good?

I'll explain.

I think the reason why I feel this way is that there were too many subplots with characters that were not that important in the show and the subplots took away (or took up space away) from the main plot of the show. The murder of Laura Palmer is the reason why everyone tuned in. Had the show's writers stuck to the main story and characters with only a few subplots (even turning it into the TV-miniseries rather than a TV-show) and wrapped it all up at the end of the miniseries, it would have been remembered as one of the best series ever produced.

The reason why people stopped watching Twin Peaks was because it took too long to solve the murder of Laura Palmer because the subplots were taking up unnecessary episode time. By the time when the murder was actually solved, [relatively] no one cared. And then the show went really downhill after that.

The reason why people stopped watching Twin Peaks was because it took too long to solve the murder of Laura Palmer

Endemic of the largely simpleton reward-hungry mentality tuning in. With hindsight it is glaringly obvious to see that the major error in judgement as far as that show's short-lived lifespan was concerned was that they in fact solved the Palmer case far, far too soon (mid way into season 2 seems quaint compared to Lost's big unanswered question)- robbing the whole world of Twin Peaks and its characters of its all encompassing hook and central anchoring device.

But in a way, it still works out for the best - considering the marvellously sublime ending we got, which I just wouldn't change for the world.

I still consider it the greatest TV show I have ever seen. Before the grand finale, there are 6 or 7 filler episodes that I could do without, but all the rest is pure gold. And Fire Wal with Me elevates the whole thing even more

I probably should, considering that I have run out of Firefly episodes to watch, and will conclude Serenity this very night.

Ah, Serenity. A bittersweet yet unmistakably super treat you're in for :thumbup:

I still consider it the greatest TV show I have ever seen. Before the grand finale, there are 6 or 7 filler episodes that I could do without, but all the rest is pure gold.

Agreed, as I detailed in my review of sorts.

And Fire Wal with Me elevates the whole thing even more

Disagreed. In contrast to your apparently (and interestingly) highly positive reaction to the film, I was actually sadly surprised at what a disappointing waste it was.

I still consider it the greatest TV show I have ever seen. Before the grand finale, there are 6 or 7 filler episodes that I could do without, but all the rest is pure gold. And Fire Wal with Me elevates the whole thing even more

What Merkel said :)

Disagreed. In contrast to your apparently (and interestingly) highly positive reaction to the film, I was actually sadly surprised at what a disappointing waste it was.

It ties so many threads, it gives us such a strong confort for the fate of Laura Palmer and the imagery is so powerful (Lynch must have had free reign in this medium) that I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed. Many plot points only made sense and came full circle after seeing it. And the score is best music ever written for this universe

The best thing about Twin Peaks, as something that makes it really special, are things you'd consider as filler and subplots in other shows and films. Lynch never intended to resolve Laura Palmer's murder.

Karol

It ties so many threads, it gives us such a strong confort for the fate of Laura Palmer and the imagery is so powerful (Lynch must have had free reign in this medium) that I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed. Many plot points only made sense and came full circle after seeing it. And the score is best music ever written for this universe

Hmm, I am definitely of the persuasion who prefers the unanswered questions remaining that way and the odd loose ends kept distinctly untied. For me the lingering questions and what ifs are in keeping with the overriding spirit of the show. I believe some mysteries should remain unsolved, and I just love how I can dip into my memory and imagination every now and then and surmise my own theories etc etc.

As for the music, well I hate to seem like I'm being contrary for the sake of it (I'm not) but I just can't have my Peaks fix without Audrey's Dance ;)

The movie doesn't really answer the questions straight up (it's David Lynch, after all). But gives you a much more deepers understanding of the relationships beetween the various entities (Bob, Mike, Man From Other Place, etc), It's more than a spin off and has nothing of a cash in. But Lynch clearly aimed at something beyond the boundaries of the TV Show. He blows up a TV set in the main titles, for all things :)

Twin Peaks is my second favorite show ever, and anyone on this thread "thinking" about watching it needs to START watching it. It's on Netflix, if that helps, though it's also in full, 1080p HD on iTunes. Looks stunning (the entire show as shot on film). I can take or leave Fire Walk With Me, though. I *love* all the FBI stuff at the start, but when we go to Laura's story, I tune out a bit.

Sidenote relevant to this community: the Twin Peaks Archive at davidlynch.com contains nearly every music track ever from the show, is amazing, and is only around $70 for lossless.

Just remember to have your sensibilities set to "older" first ;)

Noted. :)

Having almost finished Breaking Bad, I'm not sure what to tackle next

Indeed Ren, but I was actually referring literally to the age of the show and recommending that K.K. bear in mind that it's a little over twenty years now since it originally aired :)

To a younger viewer (and a lot of older ones too) it'll likely feel very dated - that is until you slowly fall in with the rhythm and vibe of the series after two or three episodes in, and come to understand that it's all part of the appeal and fibre of Lynch's creation, the longevity of the show is a direct result of it's look, quirks and feel. Once it clicks, it REALLY clicks.

Twin Peaks is my second favorite show ever, and anyone on this thread "thinking" about watching it needs to START watching it. It's on Netflix, if that helps.

Netflix has been my chief resource for the episodes, seeing as I've refused the DVDs in the hope that the Blu-rays will eventually materialise.

This has only nostalgic value, I tried to watch some rerun but no, not anymore. It was cool stuff back then though.

The atmosphere, cool chicks, the jazzy music and the suspension..."little bit" dated now.

I hope that my all time favorite series Lost will not face the same fate; after 20 years totally dated and uninteresting.

Indeed Ren, but I was actually referring literally to the age of the show and recommending that K.K. bear in mind that it's a little over twenty years now since it originally aired :)

To a younger viewer (and a lot of older ones too) it'll likely feel very dated - that is until you slowly fall in with the rhythm and vibe of the series after two or three episodes in, and come to understand that it's all part of the appeal and fibre of Lynch's creation, the longevity of the show is a direct result of it's look, quirks and feel. Once it clicks, it REALLY clicks.

I think you misunderstood, I'm just looking forward to watching it now what I'm older. I don't care about dates. Lol

God I must really be tired. I don't understand why he needed to explain how his point differed from my own. I just stated I was looking forward to viewing it again as an adult. I wasn't arguing. :scratch head: lol

This is what I get for staying up late

Oooohhhhhh ok,

I see now. I replied right after he said the sensibilities set to older. I get him now. That's not what I was talking about. But I can see how it was taken that way

Can I get any blonder lol?

The best thing about Twin Peaks, as something that makes it really special, are things you'd consider as filler and subplots in other shows and films. Lynch never intended to resolve Laura Palmer's murder.

Karol

Thanks Karol. I thought I'd read something about Lynch intending to leave the murder unsolved. Good to know the memory's still good. I read that Lynch wanted to explore the dark side of small town life in the show, and the murder's main plot purpose was to bring Cooper to town. The filler and subplots were meant to be the real meat of the show. I loved the show at the time (hard to believe it was twenty years ago) and really should watch it again soon. The soundtrack was one of my first CDs and I read a spin-off book My Life, My Tapes which was meant to be Cooper's autobiography, It ends with him being sent to Twin Peaks and gives a different version of the Teresa Banks case referenced in Fire Walk With Me.

I probably should, considering that I have run out of Firefly episodes to watch, and will conclude Serenity this very night.

Ah, Serenity. A bittersweet yet unmistakably super treat you're in for :thumbup:

Indeed it was! Like saying goodbye to an old friend who I just met. I daresay that if the show had lasted another season, the movie itself would have turned out differently, i.e. two really great and underdeveloped (one more than the other) characters would have been treated much differently. Were the show to return, it just wouldn't be the same, and removing the chase element would turn it into just another aimless sci-fi series. As it stood, it was a roughly sixteen hour miniseries, utterly brilliant and eminently quotable that I wish a) I had discovered much sooner and 2) was still on the air, regardless of aim.

But I don't think that anybody can truly watch, understand, or appreciate Serenity before watching all of Firefly. It's not essential, because the movie summarizes enough, but...I'll miss watching these wonderful characters and learning more about this dysfunctional star system.