Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Got my answer (in relation to the teaser music)!

I believe the orchestral Misty Mountains was recorded in London in November/December 2011, not long after the Hugo sessions. The rest was electronic, though it was produced around the same time.

Karol

Missing Footage Card!

Why is the quality so low? Bloodboals' videos are 720p!

Because I don't want to wait 2 hours to render a video? seriously, its just a quick and dirty mockup.

High Fells is rendering as we speak..

Over Hill / The High Fells!

Later on in the scene, Radagast says "These are dark spells Gandalf, old, and full of hate", it sounds sooo Tolkien, even though the scene is not at all from Tolkien.

Yes PJ and co. obviously have a handle on improvising when it comes to the Necromancer storyline. I'll take all the content of that type I can considering that it will be a very long time before we get anything else with that "Middle-Earth history" vibe.

Hey just watched the video. I think the sync is off a bit for the whole beginning part, seems like the shots change a few seconds before the music does.

For the High Fells part, why switch to audio with dialogue and sound effects? Would have been cool to be a total iso score like the beginning of the vid

Because its rare that I get to make a video with the original SFX without having the music in the film blaring in the background.

Alright, these are for a theory of mine I am discussing with BB:

The Coming of Smaug (Alternate):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9WURrVklnaFVNWDg/edit?usp=sharing

It Cannot Be (Alternate):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9RFhQaWJLWlF3Y0E/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, I am not so sure of the last one either, though I had to use the choir bit in It Cannot Be (instead of having it in The Coming of Smaug) so that it would sound musical, it would not sound at all musical with just the build up bit.

I'm hearing a nice piano demo of Thorin's theme as I'm watching the appendixes. As brief as it is, I like it.

I don't think its a demo, its edited with the "Axe and Sword" etc sped up underneath it, I think (along with the guitar pieces) that it is by Stephen Gallagher or someone with some musical training just playing his theme.

Nah, it's just the kind motif that's characteristic of Shore's writing. Purely coincidental, that's all. No danger motif activity here. Kind of like the way you can here recurring phrases (often a little minimalistic in style) in the Williams early 2000s scores.

Just watching the Radagast part of the appendices. Turns out Sylvester McCoy had quite an obsession with playing the spoons and really wanted to sneak it in the film. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Shore put them in the music.

THAT, my friend, was an entire massive action set piece ripped nearly note for note.

Kuhni's example is a 3 note motif we're talking about here :P

3 notes, 3 chords, 3 bars, 3 measures, 3 cues, its all the same!

And I still think it was supposed to sound like Orthanc (

)

Also, I figured some people might be interested in how the first disc of my edit sounds at the moment:

Spending this Sunday afternoon singing along the chorus in AUJ. Much fun.

Zah tah ree ka, kee zah rim, ab dul talm!

:woop:

Is that your own interpretation of the Khuzdûl lyrics or do you have an actual source for the words?

3 notes, 3 chords, 3 bars, 3 measures, 3 cues, its all the same!

And I still think it was supposed to sound like Orthanc ()

Also, I figured some people might be interested in how the first disc of my edit sounds at the moment:

Could you post the link to your edit, I'd like to listen on my PC and for some reason jwfan is blocked on there.

Please watch this video and you will see!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9eHZsUXhDRWNZUm8/

(Though his sync points are off, with the shot changes coming in a few beats before the music changes)

Video made by Faleel and originally posted here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22197&p=953074

I encourage you to also check out Bloodboal's thread, where he made similar videos for every other OST track

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23483

Throughout the Appendices there's a version of Thorin's theme played on piano. Anyone know the story behind this or was it just additional music generated for this release? The theme sounds quite beautiful played this way.