Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

I wonder is this means the opening theme of DoS will turn out to be a major new theme for TABA.

I hope so, if only to see all of the speculation on how the opening of TABA must be a premonition of the main theme of Silmarillion 1. :D

Well year after its release James Southall reviews The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey at Moviewave.net and surprise, surprise gives it 2 shinining stars out of possible 5!

I am still in the process of writing an analysis, not a review. In the light of recent revelations by Doug Adams I have had to go back and re-write long passages of it. Perhaps I can finish by the time TABA comes out. Or just in time before Doug's book. ;)

You will trump him by releasing your analysis a few days before his book is due, and nobody will buy it anymore! Shame on you!

And BB, do keep up! That thematic connection has been discussed here weeks ago!

Well year after its release James Southall reviews The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey at Moviewave.net and surprise, surprise gives it 2 shinining stars out of possible 5!

Not surprised, James and Erik were never fans of the score and were pretty vocal about it last year.

There's just this large amount of low frequency hum in the background, it just gets rid of it. The actual low frequency elements sound better now that I can pick them out.

What I really need to do now though is add a few Zimmer style Inception blasts at random points of the score. You know, to reflect Bilbo's growing infatuation with the ring. Nothing says seduction like BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!, God, these scores really need a bit of work before they match my vision for Tolkien.

That is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned.

Removing the RCP-esque mixing, and bringing it closer to the actual sound of the recording instead of a artificial sound?

Fine.

Removing the Loudness Wars mixing, and bringing it closer to the actual sound of the recording instead of a artificial sound.

And plenty of other scores actually. Like EVERY Brian Tyler score. Lots of Arnold ones etc etc. You are being unspecific.

He's pretty RCP as it is. Although he's better, Too many drums though.

There's just this large amount of low frequency hum in the background, it just gets rid of it. The actual low frequency elements sound better now that I can pick them out.

Is it possible now to listen to Girion, Lord of Dale on a louder volume without your car vibrating?

The Appendices Part 7 - End Credits

OK, this one is weird. There are two cues in there. I have no idea what the first cue (the first 53 seconds) is supposed to be, but I do believe the music heard here is related to the film for two reasons: firstly, because it might have been meant as an instrumental accompaniment for The Man In The Moon (since it plays when they talk about this song in the documentaries) , and secondly, because of what comes right after that. It's a guitar rendition of the Company's theme! I believe it might be one of the first versions of Song Of The Lonely Mountain, or maybe something by Stephen Gallagher (the guy who did Blunt The Knives, since in the credits of The Appendices, it's written Additional Music: Stephen Gallagher) or Plan 9. I wonder if this was meant to appear in the film or not.

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/2g6qrgac9j/The_Appendices_Part_7_-_End_Credits.mp3

Was there ever any light shed on what this tune was supposed to be? I've been meaning to search and/or ask about that here for weeks now. I was initially convinced that it was intended to be a musical setting of The Man on the Moon on account of the fact that the rhythm/metre seems to fit and, more particularly, the dropping of the melody by an octave at one point in the middle verse would fit perfectly with the line "now squeaking high, now purring low". Bofur's rendition of the song in Rivendell doesn't back this theory up, but perhaps that's because it was traditionally known by a different melody in the Blue Mountains...

I just assumed it was a version of The Man on the Moon. Haven't listened enough to know whether it was a musical accompaniment or made for the documentaries. My guess would go with the latter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i think sfx and voice can be dialed out in the lego games, so at least could be recorded.

It sounded shore to me... maybe they got Pope to write new music for the game.... :P

Really with so many late changes and rescorings, i can see this being from some early session, maybe when Plan 9's theme was still not going to be used as the main theme for the dwarves...

It would seem rare that the developers hired an orchestra and choir for this game (never done that before) when they have available 3-4 hours of music from the hobbit films and 2-3 hours usable from LOTR...

Well, I was able to rip the DAT file!

There was a few seconds that sound like they could be unreleased, and the Goblin King's song (not the EE one) clean.