What Is Your Favorite Non-Shore Middle-Earth Score?

Faleel

Despite some occasional cheesiness due to perhaps the idea that he was scoring an animation it would have to be Leonard Rosenman's The Lord of the Rings.

It's not a score, but I'm partial to Johan de Meij's LOTR symphony.

One of my favourites as well.

Not a score, but I love Donald Swanns song cycle The Road Goes Ever On

I still need to listen to this one.

Oh and another great Tolkien interpretation is the Tolkien Ensemble's 4 disc recording of all the poems and songs from Lord of the Rings. Some really beautiful writing and accomplished vocal and instrumental work there.

The only non-shore Middle-Earth score I've heard is Rosenman's LOTR, and I'm not too fond of that.

So like Stefan, I'd vote Meij's LOTR symphony, which is a great piece of music.

Despite some occasional cheesiness due to perhaps the idea that he was scoring an animation it would have to be Leonard Rosenman's The Lord of the Rings.

Absolutely. I love this score. I have the CD and the two-record vinyl set. Beautiful artwork, and a real "English" feel to the themes. I much prefer this score to any of the Shore scores.

For me, the Rosenman score is an awful listen from start to finish, except "Mithrandir". The awfully cheesy "Mooooooooooooooooooordooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor" chants and the frequent dissonance is pure torture.

Given the material, it's even worse than Star Trek IV.

Indeed. I've tried to like the score several times, but it just doesn't work for me. Far too cheesy. I recall when watching the film, hearing that silly main theme ad nauseam made me want to pull my hear out. It's just hard to take the music serious (especially with those Mordor chants...). It's like hearing music from a silly kids tv serial. And then a lot of the dissonance doesn't help. It's not a very well balanced score in truth.

Having said that, it had some moments of great music. But those aren't worth going through most of the painful material.