BloodBoal

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, not sure.

My Dear Frodo feels less stitched together than the Prologue from Fellowship, and is a bit more diverse in colour, but the FOTR one has the Ring theme, which is hard to beat.

Tie.

I think they're both great cues, but the FotR prologue has greater thematic presentations and I still love the awesome snares.

Having said that, there are other cues that can compete with LotR material in The Hobbit (ex. Out of the Frying Pan).

I think The Prophecy would be a better match.

I vote The Hobbit, it has an awsome snare march as well (one of the Dwarf themes, either Erebor or Thorin theme)

Prologue from FotR. Even though many think it sounds stitched together I have from the first listen in the cinema thought it was such a brilliant overture that draws you inside this world and gives you a taste of things to come. Plus it has that pitch perfect use of the History of the Ring theme.

This one was never a favourite of mine, because it relies heavily on the History Of The Ring theme, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

It's become my favorite theme from the franchise, followed closely by the nature theme.

How can you not like the Ring theme BB? It pretty much forms the foundation of half the themes in the score!

The FotR prologue just acts as a more enticing overture with greater themes presented IMHO.

Ha ha! I can almost picture Shore sitting at his desk and thinking: "I can spend my afternoom writing something new and fresh that will be fondly remembered by the awkward crowd of film music fandom.... Or I can just copy and paste something I already wrote and spend the rest of the day drinking beer and watching some football with Hans!"

Back to the subject, though...

Tough choice... On one hand the LOTR piece is part of my fond memories of watching the first film and, like many said, introduced a lot of now famous material. One the other hand, it is not as effortless musically as its original version (as heard on the Rarities disc) or in fact The Hobbit opening...

Karol

Another reason why I'm not really fond of that theme is that I think that there are many vastly superior themes to be found in the score: the Gondor theme,. I find the History Of The Ring theme to be pale in comparison with these.

You must prefer the Original version of "The Argonath"/"The Fighting Uruk-Hai" then ;)

I do agree that sometimes History of the Ring doesnt get varied enough, but I like the extended statement in "Foundations of Stone" and the statement in Sammath Naur.

My Dear Frodo is better music. End of story. It flows much more smoothly, it covers a more diverse range of music while doing so, and

The action is more exciting as well, drawing on the best Lord of the Rings action music like Khazad Dum and Glamdring stuff. The action in Prologue/One Ring to Rule Them All sounds very awkward and inelegant.

If you suppress your nostalgia, there is only one answer here, and surprisingly it's losing.

Name me one section of Prologue/One Ring that sounds as wonderful as the contrast of choir and the Khazad Dum-ian action following 5:29-5:42...and beyond. There isn't. It's just a variety of show of Middle Earth themes, none of which are as great as statements heard later on through the Rings scores.

The Rarities disc version is even better. You know, the one with yet another version of Gondor theme.

Karol

I agree, it finds the perfect balance between originality, and "thematicness"

Though I prefer the film version of the music for Gollum finding the ring, with The Nameless Fear motif and so on.

I prefer "One Ring to Rule Them All". As said before, I think it's a great overture to The Fellowship of the Ring. I love the scene as well.

I think it's quite difficult to compare them from an objective viewpoint. The main difference here is the the context of both scenes. I enjoyed both, but my preference is for Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All.