La La Land re-releases THE FURY!

Oskar

So... a couple years ago, I tried this score and film and didn't manage to connect with it. Then 2 months ago Tidal's Daily Discovery gave me the Main Title track... and I was intrigued. Listened to it all... and this time I liked it! Then I put off listening again until I could buy it... and discovered I couldn't buy it digitally. Then there were posts in this thread about a cheap ebay sale and I got dragged into it but couldn't get it... then @ChrisAfonso helped me out and I could finally get it.

And now I love it. OST, that is. Great performance and recording, really well assembled. An overlooked gem of one of JW's peak eras, full of JWisms similar to Dracula, Empire, a little Cowboys, SW, WotW, but also unique enough Herrmannesque moods and textures with the ARP for example. While the film score's not as well performed and overall a definitely worse program, for the album he improved on it all. It felt very strange to do my usual edit by keeping the OST and assembling the unique or different enough cues or parts of cues of the film score into a suite at the end. :lol:

Oh and since I grew to like it in the meantime, I thought I'd give Jaws 2's OST a try too, same timeframe, similarly didn't like it - well, I still don't except for a track or two. Somehow it just feels like some other composer kinda trying to ape JW for a Jaws sequel score, except when not even trying to. I dunno.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

It felt very strange to do my usual edit by keeping the OST and assembling the unique or different enough cues or parts of cues of the film score into a suite at the end. :lol:

What did you end up putting in your suite?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

What did you end up putting in your suite?

On 11/09/2021 at 7:24 AM, Delorean90 said:

Hello hello! Been away for some time, but I was going through The Fury recently, and I can shed some light!

Timings for extensions/cuts don't necessarily allow for extended measures of repeated material, but you can see where passages were adapted. Timings indicate score recording passages.

01. Main Title
     "End Title"

02. For Gillian
     "For Gillian" (extended/embellished at 0:58-1:15, extended at 1:32)

03. Vision on the Stairs

"Vision on the Stairs" (0:00-1:18)

"Father Meets Son" (trimmed 0:48-0:52, 0:57-1:53)

04. Hester's Theme and The House

"Hester's Theme and The House" (0:00-1:41)

"Before Dinner" (0:00-0:17, 0:37-end)

"Approaching the House"

05. Gillian's Escape

"Gillian's Escape"

06. The Search for Robin

"Remembering Robin" (extended at 1:26)

07. Gillian's Vision

"Gillian's Vision"

08. Death on the Carousel and End Titles

"Coming Down the Stairs"

"Calliope Goes Wild/Death on a Carousel"

"Gillian's Power"

09. Epilogue

With the help of this, I quickly compared these parts, and only ended up keeping the parts of these tracks that weren't used in the OST tracks, and Gillian's Power which is kickass and different enough to be a finale. For the calliope setpiece I only used Calliope Waltz and then Death on the Carousel (Original Version). I also used all other film tracks and non-source bonus tracks aside from Out of the Water. I put Thru the Alley inside Fog Scene to serve as an action climax to it, put Wild ARP + Hester Eavesdropping + TV Surveillance + ARP Theme + Bed Scene as a "variations on a theme" segment. I haven't actually listened to the final result yet so I might throw it all out and redo it, no more details yet :lol: