Elmer Bernstein's The 10 Commandments (Intrada 6CD 60th Anniversary Collection)

Ollie

Which suggests, of course, that there is still a project in the works. That in itself is a morsel of good news.

Really? I hadn't heard about that change. Wonder what the reason is for bucking tradition.

• 4 months later...

Small update from Doug

Could one of the events be the announcement of something coming within a few hours or days befitting a 30th anniversary celebration. Are you thinking what I am thinking ? " So it is said,so let it be done".

Hi Monte. Don't want to dash all your hopes but hang on. Yes, that one's no secret, and it's forthcoming, but not for a little while. A lot of hoops to jump through. Everything you've hoped for it shall be, however, including oodles of stuff you've never heard before. So let it be written, so let it be done. But the actual 30th Anniversary celebration will be focused more on our achievements up to this point. That's keeping us pretty busy right now, too. :)

--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=73724#p73724

• 6 months later...

With Easter coming up, I wish what I wish every year: For a proper, expanded release of Bernstein's score for "The Ten Commandments."  Has anything more ever come of this planned release by Intrada?

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They should remake the film!

They did! Randy Edelman scored and Dougray Scott played Moses. Then Christian Bale did too. 

• 4 months later...

Looks like this is finally coming out next Monday, August 23rd

Roger's clues are

Golden agers start saving.

and

I might have misread you guys..but I thought all the golden age folks were pining away for some comprehensive attention focused on Hugo Riesenfeld.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7172

Both of you, save your money. It's not up your alleys. An old biblical epic with thunderous brass and tender love themes, glorious processionals and ethnic dances and mysterious music is not of any interest to fans of film scores younger than Jaws. 

I can't get into many Golden Age scores, but there is plenty of pre-Jaws stuff I like, especially Henry Mancini's stuff from the 60s

Just now, Jay said:

I can't get into much Golden Age scores, but there is plenty of pre-Jaws stuff I like, especially Henry Mancini's stuff from the 60s

If you can't, don't. You're too old to learn a new genre of soundtrack listening. Stick to Giacchino and other new stuff. 

I grew up watching this movie on TV every Easter so I have heaps of nostalgia for the score.  But even trying to set the nostalgia aside, I do think it has some of Bernstein's coolest themes he ever wrote.  It's definitely in the very top tier of ancient history epic film scores.

3 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

It is probably the most accessible. 

I agree completely.  Lots of really memorable melodies and crowd pleasing moments.  Which fit the movie well of course.  I could definitely see people who haven't been wild about other Biblical epic scores liking this one more.