Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

Ooh, is there a better quality version up. Or did you listen with better speakers or something?

I'll check it out again later today.

why is it that Zimmer fans always seem to resort to personal insults against those who don't like him?

There suffer from a stunted emotional development. In essence they are 14 year old boys at heart. The slightly more grown up version of a Brony.

So is this gkgyver then?

D0kXPoh.jpg

Anyone who takes either side as being serious is just not acclimated to the way this board works. Which makes it particularly obnoxious to show up out of nowhere with these self-righteous proclamations. Come on now.

LOL, what? I think you're reading more into my question then there is. Why the need to be so defensive? But you're right, I'm not acclimated to how this board works nowadays, and I'm not sure I want to be. So this is me leaving again.

Well done, TGP... You made the forum lose one more member...

tumblr_ndts20Qtov1r4zlnbo2_500.gif

Will this be your new standard clapping gif now?

Anyone who takes either side as being serious is just not acclimated to the way this board works. Which makes it particularly obnoxious to show up out of nowhere with these self-righteous proclamations. Come on now.

LOL, what? I think you're reading more into my question then there is. Why the need to be so defensive? But you're right, I'm not acclimated to how this board works nowadays, and I'm not sure I want to be. So this is me leaving again.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I wish Zimmer didn't lean on so much PR bs. Saying the story once was alright, but now it's just too much (he's been quoting it in multiple interviews now).

Score is still good stuff.

I wish Zimmer didn't lean on so much PR bs. Saying the story once was alright, but now it's just too much (he's been quoting it in multiple interviews now).

I'd rather have him tell stories like that than things like: "I did something completely different for that score, unlike anything I've done before! It's completely crazy!" and then the final product ends up sounding like most of his previous scores (not talking about Interstellar here, just in general).

But he's said both!! Just wish he'd stay away from the press for once.

And to his credit, Interstellar is different from what he's been doing lately. But not entirely novel (the usual Thin Red Line derivations, etc, etc)

Score is still good stuff.

You've listened to the whole score?

I hope so. Yeah, a lot of cues were reprised multiple times in film. So I couldn't see the point of the 4CD set. But I guess there might be many alternates.

And film music, I'm judging the music based off of what I heard in film, which was quite good.

"I asked him, 'Well, yes, but what is the movie?' And he started describing this huge, epic tale of space and science and humanity, on this epic scale. I’m going, 'Chris, hang on, I’ve just written this highly personal thing, you know?' He goes, 'Yes, but I now know where the heart of the movie is.' Everything about this movie was personal.'"

Finding the emotional core in a big movie.

Yeah, how completely novel.

It's a good score.

I doubt it'll win the Oscar though. Zimmer's name and this film is just too mainstream for that. It'll probably get nominated, but the Oscar will go to a score for a smaller film, likely by an unknown composer who will define "true auteurship" means for the year...

Does it deserve it though? It's still a bit rough around the edges for that, but naturally I need the stupid album to come out for me to judge!

It's a good score.

I doubt it'll win the Oscar though. Zimmer's name and this film is just too mainstream for that. It'll probably get nominated, but the Oscar will go to a score for a smaller film, likely by an unknown composer who will define "true auteurship" means for the year...

Does it deserve it though? It's still a bit rough around the edges for that, but naturally I need the stupid album to come out for me to judge!

Well, Gravity got it! Wasn't that a mainstream movie?

Also, was it you that mentioned that it's like Thin Red Line?

I love that score...

By the way, I guess this is fake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0WaPHBV5-E

It's a good score.

Well, Gravity got it! Wasn't that a mainstream movie?

Also, was it you that mentioned that it's like Thin Red Line?

I love that score...

Right, but Gravity was by a nobody at the time. And his experimental sound made for good promotional BS. Zimmer is still a big shot name

And yeah it was me I believe. The main theme follows a similar elegiac progression in style (as a lot of his post-2000s work does), you can hear it here:

There are also some organ "droning" bits that recall the opening build-up of Thin Red Line and some of the other more atmospheric cues in that score.

But other than that, it's pretty different actually. It's not as subtle as TLC, but it has some lovely atmospheric moments (I remember hearing some beautiful clusters for the quieter space scenes). Zimmer's score takes on more of a Glass vibe to it, and it has a certain hypnotic quality to it.

Some of the minor downpoints is that the main theme gets repeated a lot, for nearly all the emotional beats. And the score does get a bit too loud at some points. But really, from what I heard in film, this sounded like something special.

This is one of the louder and more abrasive cues in the score, you can hear a bit of the Glass vibe in the second half:

Other than that, we'll just have to wait till the score is out.

I really wish those strings in the trailer music were real ones. (maybe muted in the start)

Those samples sound too harsh for this kind of music.

So, that is indeed the main theme and is heard in the film?

Yup, that is the main theme heard in the film. But he may have used real strings in the film, because what you hear in the video was composed last year, for the teaser.

Unlike a lot of Zimmer's more synthetic efforts though, the organ really helps lend an organic sound to it.