Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

It's loud and yet doesn't it seem mixed differently than usual? It sounds much more organic, without a hyped up bass.

Yeah, if this is the equivalent of Oil Rig for this score, that is, as patience-testing as the score gets, then we're in very good shape.

Yeah, I agree. I think the prominent organ and lack of significant brass really helps. And the way he's mixed his low woodwinds pretty high up gives that Glass vibe to it, which is what I'm digging right now. Or is that all in my head?

No I think you're right on.

As a side note, I've had that little piano line from the teaser in my head for almost a year now, wondering what would come of it, if anything, and finally hearing it in another context, developed, gave me instant goosebumps.

Yeah, I didn't think much of the melody when I first watched the teaser (thought it's grown on me quite a bit as the year passed). But hearing it in a different setting really gives it some real substance.

Was the teaser piece what Zimmer wrote when Nolan asked for a piece about the father/daughter relationship before he started production?

I'm not sure. I got the impression that was only part of it, but maybe it was just those couple minutes.

So about these themes, this is what I've read....

The teaser (excluding that piano line) is like the musical "frame" for the film, opening and closing it, and appearing throughout in other variations. The IMAX theme is sort of the "adventure" or "wonder" theme or whatever you want to call it. And now this latest is a theme for bad goings-on.

Yeah I'm going to be entering a delirium of anticipation and then rapture over the next few days. I won't subject this forum to any more of it.

Wrong thread. Bitching about the film goes in the film thread. Bitching about the score will go here.

Acceptable posts for this thread:

WHY IS THERE NO JEWEL CASE RELEASE?

WHY IS THIS $40????!!!

WHY IS THE COMPOSITION AND COLOR OF THE COVER SO SUB-PAR??

WHY DO I CONTINUE TO FOLLOW AND LISTEN TO SCORES BY THIS GUY I HAVE AN IRRATIONAL HATRED FOR???

If you think I'm going to listen to this deliberately, you are sadly mistaken. And it's hardly irrational.

I didn't post it Karol, because then I'd just speed up its removal from the web. ;)

And like TGP said, if this is the score's equivalent to Oil Rig, then I think its safe to say we'll be getting something quite good this time round.

I'm all for actually paying for music and giving the composers their due. I don't want people stealing my music either. But when the studios pull this sort of double or triple dip shit, it's hard to feel so terribly moral about collecting the loose ends.

I think the OST will have a solid presentation, but the box set might be a bit excessive. I guess I'll see based on what we hear in film.

Am I imagining it or is there a hefty dose of Dies Irae in there as well?

Think you're imagining it. The main motif has a similar sort of minor mode stepwise motion, but it remains its own thing, thankfully.

Yeah five days left!

Karol

Two and a half. ;)

I'm banning myself from message board, Twitter and FB for those three days then.

Karol

Good plan. I vaguely read something extremely significant yesterday that I definitely did not want to read and now I'm considering lobotomization to rectify it.

Clusters? Where? In the beginning?

EDIT: Nvm, I see what you're referring to. Yeah, I actually really like the opening.

I know that for the BRAAAAM BRAAAAM low Ds in INCEPTION, Hans had the brass players in church, and got them play directly into the strings of a piano, with a book on the sustain pedal. I know how his experimental mind works -- he probably wanted to try the same effect with voices.

What do you mean by playing directly into the strings? Like directing the sound into the piano? Or playing with an open piano in the center of the seating arrangement or something?

masonhamlinpianorestored3-lg.jpg

That's a grand piano with the lid open and strings exposed.

The brass players simply stand around the piano (which would be mic'd - both close and ambient) from various distances, and direct their bells at it. Likewise with singers.

It's a avant-garde technique that comes from spatial music. The exploring the natural resonances of instruments and how spaces distorts what we hear.

Very cool! That probably explains a lot of the reverb and resonance you hear with the choral clusters. I wish we got to see some footage of such sessions.

Considering the amount of sessions Interstellar had, I'm guessing there was a lot more of that kind of similar experimentation with this score. Especially with the organ and use of the big church space acoustics.

The brass players simply stand around the piano (which would be mic'd - both close and ambient) from various distances, and direct their bells at it. Likewise with singers.

It's a avant-garde technique that comes from spatial music. The exploring the natural resonances of instruments and how spaces distorts what we hear.

Trickery that Zimmer had to employ because he isnt able to just compose a normal score like many of his peers. So he has to resort to gimmicks like this to try and sound unique.

Trickery that Zimmer had to employ because he isnt able to just compose a normal score like many of his peers. So he has to resort to gimmicks like this to try and sound unique.

You are painfully clueless.

E.T. is boring. It's got big schmaltzy tunes that appeal to witless posers like yourself, which would be fine if you didn't take that astonishing ignorance to the next level by being such a critical prick about people who want to think about music, the theory behind it, and experiment with it.

If that seems like an overreaction just consider it a response to the numerous times that you've taken your quasi-superior position against people who can't just "enjoy the music".