Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

And this is a good thing! Zimmer never was a composer adapt at musical complexity and with Interstellar it sounds that in some ways he returns to what he basically is. A "pop" composer, who's strengths lie in rhythm, texture and ambiance rather then pure compositional excellene as the more traditional composers he is often negatively compared with.

What recent musically complex scores are you talking about? To my ears MAN OF STEEL and RUSH sounded very pop-inspired, at least in an American sense. INTERSTELLAR has a more rarefied European sensibility - like the prog rock you mention (which you could also extend to early electronica like Tangerine Dream).

Instrumention is part of the "actual score" you know.

well not quite.

I mean, usually instrumentation is there to serve the musical thoughts of a composer.

I really can't explain exactly what I mean...

I wish you could, because it sounds like you have misconceptions about some things.

well, maybe you understand better what I mean by this comparison?

"In opera the music is there to serve the text, and not the other way around."

or

"this great actor is there to serve the role of this film", and not "this role in the film was created to serve the actor".

Unfortunately I don't.

There are several parameters of music. One of them is color. Instrumentation, whatever you want to call it. That's as legitimate a thing to start with as a motive or a rhythm or a harmony.

Zimmer definitely works by defining the palette for a score and then starting to build with that in mind. Also how Horner works I believe. And it's how I work. The colors and textures of a piece are the first things that come to me. It's just an instinct, a feeling about what the nature of the music is going to be.

Indeed. Unless you still live in the Romantic Era or something...

well, yes, it's true that older music is more melodically/harmonically driven than instrumentationally driven like contemporary music..

Thing is Grey, some think that reducing a score to a piano lead sheet is 'the way' to judge the compositional quality of a piece.

I think you put it better than me..

The instrumental color is there to express the musical ideas of the composer.

A musical piece can exist whether you play it in the piano or in the orchestra.

But an instrumental color can't exist(?) if there is nothing to play..

This is what I mean, when i say, the instrumentation is there to serve the music (or the score)

Which is a shame. Writing like John Williams isn't the only viable musical approach to take you know...

And Zimmer's work is hardly the first to rely predominantly on textures and colours. So not sure why that's not considered a valid take on writing.

well, yes, it's true that older music is more melodically/harmonically driven than instrumentationally driven like contemporary music..

Thing is Grey, some think that reducing a score to a piano lead sheet is 'the way' to judge the compositional quality of a piece.

And older is better, as always, right?

And I don't think Sharky is saying you're right to think of it that way....

Which is a shame. Writing like John Williams isn't the only viable musical approach to take you know...

And Zimmer's work is hardly the first to rely predominantly on textures and colours. So not sure why that's not considered a valid take on writing.

Many compare Zimmer with more traditionally clasically trained composers like JW, Goldsmith etc because they all work in film music.

But it really is like comparing Wagner with Led Zeppeling.

Well yes. In those days, melodic writing was pretty much the sole parameter for writing music. Now our definitions have broadened, and as Grey pointed out, colour IS a legitimate parameter for writing music, and this began with the likes of Ligeti. Music has progressed, the limitations and boundaries of the past has broken down. So why let the outdated rules of the past limit you to enjoy the more adventurous pursuits of the present?

Zimmer relies more on colours and textures these days, which is where his strengths lie, and allow Interstellar to work more on a visceral level (the score that is).

I would probably be terribly bored as a composer like Fauré, who wrote achingly beautiful music but was a real curmudgeon about fancy colors and orchestration. Music is not just about notes!

Even a more traditional composer like Shore relies on the texture or color of instruments. the ambiance of the hall he records in etc.

It's perfectly valid, imo

Shore is a very textural composer. And it produces fascinating stuff.

Didn't say anything about Williams.

I'm still not sure of your use of the word "instrumentally", Filmmusic.

I used "instrumentation" to include synths and electronics too.

Orchestration takes the mind of the reader usually to symphonic instruments.

And older is better, as always, right?

And I don't think Sharky is saying you're right to think of it that way....

I didn't say he was.

The funny thing is that you all took what i said negatively. :lol:

Which I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Why did you reject the notion that I just said it without meaning it in a negative or a positive way?

I didn't take it in any way. I just didn't get what you meant at all.

Ok.

Anyway, don't know what else to say to make myself clear.

I just found this comparison too that fits perfectly (I like talking in comparisons as you see :P)

Clothes are there to reveal and support a person's personality.

If you change "clothers" for "intrumentation" and a "person's personality" for "music", there you have it.

Clothes are there to cover a persons body so they don't walk around naked! It also protects them from the cold, rain, or sun exposure.

yes, that too.. :lol:

But we're talking now about more aesthetic needs than basic biological needs.

Anyway, don't mind me.

Just go on with your discussion about the score.

I just made an observation based on my impressions on the score.

I would probably be terribly bored as a composer like Fauré, who wrote achingly beautiful music but was a real curmudgeon about fancy colors and orchestration. Music is not just about notes!

That is fine but to use Stefancos analogy of Wagner and Led Zepplin, it is as if Wagner was hired to do that orchestral music thing of Led Zepplin. That is the why it greatly annoys some composers is it is not about a unique soundscape that the composer has but because the "standard" is now that that is what orchestras do so talented composers are now asked to do the Zimmer approach.

Does someone else miss the vocals in here? - http://condenastl3cdn.cust.footprint.net/videos/5446f00e61646d41b4130000/d9013528-b384-4abf-b3a3-236b905daaf3low.webm

Edit: Wait a sec, need to find the right video. It is in the featurette which I can't find.

Around 2.40. Also the music before it, I couldn't hear that in the film, did I miss it?

Yeah, that's mysterious. No clue what it's from.

Most of what's in that video is just library music, but the vocal stuff sounds actually good. Maybe we'll hear it in unused suites, maybe it's just oddly good library music.

I hope it's on one of the releases, I like it a lot. I would be surprised if it isn't a part of the score.

Really? Is it library music around 2.00 ->? The music around 0.30 for sure. Even if the music that plays after that generic part ends isn't a part of the score I want to know more.

Quite sick if that is library music, then they really succeeded.

Even a more traditional composer like Shore relies on the texture or color of instruments. the ambiance of the hall he records in etc.

It's perfectly valid, imo

This is true, but his compositional process involves writing a barebones counterpoint, very much the music itself, before he decides what instruments will play it.

Many beautiful moments for sure. But here is the Tristan episode:

Tristan is full of longing and deep desire and since Zimmer is German, it's in his DNA along with the movie. I thought the reference was VERY overt and hadn't heard it mentioned by him in an interview and since Tristan is a revolutionary score, it should be mentioned. It might have been in the temp but this is pretty close to illegal level (ala Gladiator/Holst).