Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

REJOICE!!!
Hans: "We are going to give it away for free...We are just waiting on some additional clearances. But the record company is totally into it. Plus, they are working really hard to make the "Lightbox" available everywhere. It's quite complicated."

I was just browsing Hans Zimmer's half-official website and it seems the issue with releasing the Illuminated Star Projection Edition in other countries has nothing to do with music... but rather batteries that power the thing. They want to make it available everywhere but it's apparently very complicated.

Funny because I guess few people even care about this packaging.

Karol

Or Elfman's Ridiculously Expensive Useless Zoetrope Box With Little Extra Essential Stuff Box Edition That Costs More Than All Possible Comprehensive Expanded Albums Of Each Presented Score.

Karol

So,

Coward covers Coop and Mann's fist fight, etc

Imperfect Lock covers Mann attempting to dock with The Endurance

the music for Coop and Hathaway actually docking to The Endurance is unreleased, and not even on the 2 disc set - and Hans just announced he'll give it away for free

and Detach covers Coop and Hathaway going through Gargantua

Is that right?

Scan of the booklet, courtesy of antovolk at NF. Really annoyed that it's going to be 8-10 weeks before I physically own this. Fuckin' WaterTower!

https://vk.com/doc106510666_342644900?hash=cba4b63ca41a9fd9d3&dl=400f1cd7323a45381d

Large choirs became an investigation of exhales rather than melodies, and creating impossible to sing soft harmonies which served as a human reverb for the pianos

I was right motherfuckers!

So,

Coward covers Coop and Mann's fist fight, etc

Imperfect Lock covers Mann attempting to dock with The Endurance

the music for Coop and Hathaway actually docking to The Endurance is unreleased, and not even on the 2 disc set

and Detach covers Coop and Hathaway going through Gargantua

Is that right?

Isn't the second part of Day One Dark this missing Docking sequence?

Oh wait I guess not. But it's similar. There more brass in that scene.

Karol

Day One Dark must be another one of his theme demos, and not the final orchestral actual film cue.

On this page, HZ announces he's giving away the Docking cue for free, so clearly it's unreleased.

Day One Dark must be another one of his theme demos, and not the final orchestral actual film cue.

On this page, HZ announces he's giving away the Docking cue for free, so clearly it's unreleased.

OK then. Makes sense.

I wonder... what is this missing 30 minutes that we're supposed to be getting with the long set.

Karol

Good, that's my favorite moment in the entire score!

A lot of people have been saying that.

It's funny when a composers idea of highlights differs from the general populace.

Happens with Williams OSTs a lot.

~

I wonder... what is this missing 30 minutes that we're supposed to be getting with the long set.

Probably a bunch of short cues, and/or more of his early suites / demos?

That's doubtful.

~

Correct?

[OST 01] Dreaming of the Crash 3:55
[OST 02] Cornfield Chase 2:06
[DE 18] Flying Drone 1:53
[OST 03] Dust 5:41
[OST 05] Stay 6:52
[OST 06] Message From Home 1:40
[OST 07] The Wormhole 1:30
[DE 19] Atmospheric Entry 1:40
[OST 08] Mountains 3:39
[OST 09] Afraid of Time 2:32
[DE 20] No Need To Come Back 4:32
[OST 10] A Place Among the Stars 3:27
[OST 11] Running Out 1:57
[OST 12] I'm Going Home 5:48
[OST 13] Coward 8:26
[DE 21] Imperfect Lock 6:54
[upcoming Free Download] Docking ?:??
[OST 14] Detach 6:42
[OST 15] S.T.A.Y. 6:23
[DE 22] What Happens Now? 2:26
[OST 16] Where We're Going 7:41

BONUS TRACKS
[OST 04] Day One 3:19
[MovieTickets.com Free Download] Day One Dark 6:57
[DE 17] First Step 1:47
[DE 23] Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night 1:39

The end credits was the very first composition of the score. Its the demo piece that Zimmer wrote based in that one page fable of Nolan's.

But the note from Christopher Nolan in the digital booklet tells us that "Day One" (ost track 4) is that original demo piece.

Oh true.

An interview I read said it was the end credits piece though. Hmm...probably misinformation?

Which brings the question, did Zimmer use the organ in that first piece, considering it was Nolan's suggesgion?

Scan of the booklet, courtesy of antovolk at NF. Really annoyed that it's going to be 8-10 weeks before I physically own this. Fuckin' WaterTower!

https://vk.com/doc106510666_342644900?hash=cba4b63ca41a9fd9d3&dl=400f1cd7323a45381d

Large choirs became an investigation of exhales rather than melodies, and creating impossible to sing soft harmonies which served as a human reverb for the pianos

I was right motherfuckers!

That was confirmed in the last page in a mother article Sharky, but yes, you were right ;)

The standard credits is a combination of Day One and What Happens Now?. The IMAX credits used a brief piano piece that is unreleased so far.

Yeah I heard the IMAX credits and it was a different piano piece. I think that's what Nolan was shown, possibly...

They put different end credits music if you see the film on an imax screen vs traditional screen?

The hell?

Because the IMAX credits were much shorter. They did stable credit cards instead of a scroll, to allow more running time for the actual film since IMAX has its limits.

Imperfect Lock is pretty good too. A driving rhythm that slowly intensifies. But I read in this thread that this cue was supposed to have the most outrageous organ work of the score, and it doesn't. It just stops.

What Happens Now didn't make much of an impression. Impressive soundscaping that doesn't really build to anything.

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night: Poetry Recital set against Zimmer's icy synth tones. Meh...

Well, I was going to check out this score today, by listening to it on Spotify at work. Guess what, it's not on there. Whomp whomp. WaterTower hasn't even put up Desolation of Smaug yet, so why should I be surprised.

Many beautiful moments for sure. But here is the Tristan episode:

Tristan is full of longing and deep desire and since Zimmer is German, it's in his DNA along with the movie. I thought the reference was VERY overt and hadn't heard it mentioned by him in an interview and since Tristan is a revolutionary score, it should be mentioned. It might have been in the temp but this is pretty close to illegal level (ala Gladiator/Holst).

I can see where you're coming from, but the 'Detach' lacks the most characteristic feature of that passage in Tristan - the augmented 4th appogiatura over F. In INTERSTELLAR it's a Major 7th over C,

Imperfect Lock is pretty good too. A driving rhythm that slowly intensifies. But I read in this thread that this cue was supposed to have the most outrageous organ work of the score, and it doesn't. It just stops.

That's the Docking cue that everyone is going crazy about - that's the crazy organ work

But it's not cobbled together by a music editor from those bits; It's an original cue that he wrote to purposely invoke that other material, right?

Has anyone ever used the Z+ app thing? Does it make a noticeable difference in the sound quality?

I heard that it's lame.

it's just a headphone technology to "emulate" the sound of 11.1. I downloaded it on my ipod and wasn't impressed at all. Sounds like they just added some extra reverb. I preferred the stereo mix! Just a gimmick.