Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

It would be interesting to hear PJs and Shore's reasoning for dropping The Misty Mountains theme out of the movies completely in DoS.

It would be interesting to hear PJs and Shore's reasoning for dropping The Misty Mountains theme out of the movies completely in DoS.

It would be interesting to overhear a private conversation between them on the matter. My vision of it has Shore in Paul Giamatti mode ("I'm not gonna drink any fuckin' merlot!").

Indeed. Even after the breaking of the fellowship their theme was still used throughout in LOTR.

But...while I found it surprising the theme wasn't used at all, I can't say I've missed it at all. It was never part of the fabric of Shore's score as much as The Fellowship theme was.

Indeed. Even after the breaking of the fellowship their theme was still used throughout in LOTR.

But...while I found it surprising the theme wasn't used at all, I can't say I've missed it at all. It was never part of the fabric of Shore's score as much as The Fellowship theme was.

Well that is true. This film focuses on the journey and the set pieces in its themes more than giving the company an overearching idea, until the final section where the House of Durin rises to be the main theme of defiance against Smaug. That said the Woodland Realm's themes (I consider Tauriel's themes an extension of that world) become surprisingly prominent after they are introduced as the elves start to mettle in the affairs of the mortals.

Oh I think The Laketown theme is eminently hummable, and a few others aren't far behind.

I don't think we've seen the last of the Misty Mountains theme. As I said before, I could see its return being linked to that song they sing inside Erebor at night, which features the same melody.

I really can't wait for Shore's music for the Five Armies. The potential for all manners of themes intertwining is tremendous.

Well that is true. This film focuses on the journey and the set pieces in its themes more than giving the company an overearching idea, until the final section where the House of Durin rises to be the main theme of defiance against Smaug.

That's why I wonder if Shore would have featured such an obvious theme for The Company if he had not been asked to use the Plan9 theme. He might have wanted to take a slow burn approach, and work his way to a triumphant development of the Dwarrow-ish material over time.

Oh I think The Laketown theme is eminently hummable, and a few others aren't far behind.

If I had not listened to the score before the film came out, I think the Laketown theme would have been the only new theme I'd be able to hum after.

The opening of #HowardShore's first #Hobbit score combines the melodic shape of the House of Durin theme (as heard in #DOS) ... (https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/411611706201079809)

... with the #4-5 harmonic resolution of the History of the Ring theme (as heard in #LOTR).

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/12/13/howard-shore-hobbit

Looking forwards to the production diary too.

Nice to see this confirmed :) Hidden connections like these are what helps making these scores special.

I have a pretty good idea of the order after seeing the film once (it helped that I listened to the OST probably 30-40 times before seeing the movie)... I have to write it all out to till though. And I might see the movie again tomorrow to confirm things.

But yes, Shore definitely seemed to have combined cues from different places of the movie into single tracks this time, so the chronological order will require splitting tracks up.

BTW, is this the very first LOTR/Hobbit score without an appearance of Nature's Reclamation, Isengard, Lothlorien, or any of Gollum's themes?

It kind of has Nature Reclamation as the fundament for Beorn's theme.

Well that isn't exactly the clearest possible reference even though it might a connection to that particular theme. ;)

Does that grand statement of Tauriel's theme appear in the film?

It seems all of Tauriel's theme statements made it.

Also' I think Legolas entrance had some percussion (cymbals I think) instead of the bit on the soundtrack.