Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

My special edition ripped the first time I tried to get disc 1 out :(

It's as though the capacity to dislodge them is the mark of the true king of the realm.

It's a sign, a sign that your right to rule is divine.

I fear that there will be several of us here jostling for the throne. Presumably he who can best display his knowledge of the myriad motives and their interconnections and developments will be anointed...

I'll gladly battle it out with Incanus and ... well, there's no one else really ;)

I fear that there will be several of us here jostling for the throne. Presumably he who can best display his knowledge of the myriad motives and their interconnections and developments will be anointed...

I'll gladly battle it out with Incanus and ... well, there's no one else really ;)

Excuse me, I've already won. I only display my powers at the utmost end of need.

Excuse me, I've already won.

Are you the Emperor?

I beg to differ. Bring it on!

I'll analyse the crap out of this score so you think the Fellowship theme is a variation of the Song of the Lonely Mountain, written after Shore entered the rupture of the space-time continuum caused by the splitting of JWfan into two halves.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23304&page=103#entry961628

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23304&page=105#entry961783

Basically, my first impression was disappointment. Now, after getting accustomed to it, I quite like it. Its biggest strenght probably is that it sounds much more cohesive overall than AUJ did.

I must be one of the rare people (if not the only person) to prefer the first disc to the second one, though.

I can see why you might. The first disc has been a massive grower for me and there's lots of nice things to discover as well has having the fantastic "Barrels Out of Bond" and "The Forest River".

There's good stuff there :)

I'll analyse the crap out of this score so you think the Fellowship theme is a variation of the Song of the Lonely Mountain, written after Shore entered the rupture of the space-time continuum caused by the splitting of JWfan into two halves.

That's nothing. I can prove every motif in the whole series is just a variation on the Emperor's theme by John Williams!

I don't think the artist in question has done paintings of all the chapters Jason.

Well last year you had chapters 1 through 6, one per month or so leading up to the release of the film - IIRC. Then you had Robin Hood malarky for a while, and it was odd to see you jump right to chapter 12 since 7-11 were also covered in DOS

Also, it seems that some of the tracks (like The Forest River) are multiple cues crossfaded for listening experience.

As great as the track is in its nonstop action, I found this quite noticeable from the multiple slight tempo changes between sections. Would be interesting to see if this effect completely goes away in a "concert" performance of the track with one steady tempo throughout.