Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I think you're really stretching here, or you have your tracks/timestamps wrong. I don't here anything similar in those last two tracks to each other

I do (in fact I pointed it out when the soundtrack first came out!), but I don't see the similarity to the Smaug blend.

0:31 of Fire and Water is the same - I agree. But there is no melody playing.

I hear F# F C# C A# in both examples

I think we have a timestamp issue - are you listening on Youtube?

I listen with VLC player and Audacity and I don't think I had problems with BB and Incanus' timestamps

Nice catch.

He just stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as he could, and before he even knew what he had, he classified it, and named it, and slapped it on a forum post, and now...he's selling it.

;)

What is this dragon-sickness theme you're referring to? Example?

Fire and Water 0:53 (four descending notes then the alternating ones)

It also shows up:

5:15 To the Death

2:58 The Ruins of Dale

In the film when Bilbo looks over the Thorin after Smaug dies, the alternating notes play

OK, listened to all three. The first one (Fire And Water) is just a variant of Smaug's theme to me.

The other two (The Ruins Of Dale and To The Death) are a separate idea and definitely the same melody (though I don't think it's supposed to be a dragon sickness theme. Perhaps a "Thorin's Fate" theme? Maybe it's the death theme Doug was talking about!). Nice catch.

I am pretty sure the eerie choral motif for Thorin's change of heart before the charge which appears in snippets in Ravenhill (was also tracked for Fili's death in the film) and then in earnest in To the Death and at the beginning of Courage and Wisdom is what Doug labeled as the "Death theme".

So I have some cool stuff for you guys to hear:

First: There was always a bit of Mirkwood music in the Music appendice I could never place, so I decided to revisit it last Tuesday and finally identified it! It was unused music for the company carrying Bombur!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9MVE1RzlfemhjQlU/view?usp=sharing

Second: The Extended Edition Beorn scene cue 85% clean!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9Tk9qODBaN09VMGc/view?usp=sharing

Third: More clean Girion, Lord of Dale film version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9WEQtamR5VHhsY3c/view?usp=sharing

Fun fact:

I had actually ripped all the bits of the Beorn cue long before, but never assembled them together, because I would have had to use fake stereo tool on each bit, and to do that I would have had to get around the tool's trial limitation (it adds spurts of random noise all over the place), and there were so many bits (8 files, but some files were comprised of 3-4 different bits!).

But now that I have the new center channel remover that preserves the stereo field, I was able to take the time to assemble all the bits into what I just posted!

Yup, Bree in DOS and Mithril in BOFA both sound really awesome!

It's Hobbit Skip-Beat in DoS! Reference to FotR's Bree scene sure but not music for Bree as such.

Yes that reasoning is sound too.

To my mind it makes a reference to a specific moment for nostalgic connection rather than becoming a location theme for Bree. It is still only the Hobbit Skip-Beat after all with no reference to Thorin or the village of Bree specifically but the moment of the four hobbits arriving there in FotR and hurrying in for shelter.

It's Bill Ferny's theme.

That sneaky devil! An apple right in the nose is what he deserves!

• 3 months later...

The timing in the top left (3:11:54:14) indicates where the composition (mr172) starts.  This composition begins with Feast of Starlight and runs through to the end of The Forest River.

Shore is probably referring to the Woodland Realm sequence as a whole when he refers to it as the first piece written for Smaug.  A significant portion of it (not including the forest river chase) was scored for the two film cut back in 2012 and it was the first sequence revisited for Smaug.

Even if the conforming of the score to the picture is one of the most everyday occurences in the job, film composers really need nerves of steel, a humble ego and zen-like calm to keep up with the requirements of the craft, more so these days than ever.

• 4 months later...
On 23.7.2016 at 6:29 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

I watched the entire second half of this film again. I thought it was interesting that the opening of Beyond the Forest seems to be microedited out of the album (or edited into the credits), and they randomly microedited out part out of the track in the credits (3:02).

The score actually had a great mix when listening through my headphones!

Do you mean that second or two of those strings before the soloist part begins in Beyond the Forest that is present in the credits? I'd say we are not missing much. ;) 

6 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Is it removed from the album or added for the film?

I believe that's a Pope-ism added to the film, and the album represents Shore's full composition

Would would be great is the film version intro to the AUJ song.

Yes!  I really like that piece a lot!

Yeah I very much hope the film version of the AUJ credits song is released some day, complete with the lovely lead-in bit (I reckon I'm probably the only one who wants another version of Song of the Lonely Mountain).