Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

People say Sheeran's song clashes with Shore's score, which is true. But in the film's context, I think that digression is justifiable. The song underscores a moment of great change in the narrative ("what have we done?"). SOTLM cheers the company on when they consider themselves righteous. "I See Fire" sees that righteousness tattered . It's a musical left turn representing a dramatic one.

One can rationalise everything.

In my book, it's just an awful dramatic choice.

One can separate one's distaste for the song without deeming it inappropriate. Besides, the song's not such a wild left turn in the cycle of these themes. If it's an awful dramatic choice, so is "Into The West". It's the exact same type of thing.

I'm not sure why that matters. It's still the exact same kind of song. I'm not saying anyone has to like it, but the track is far from unprecedented. It's not Heavy Metal or anything. We've got Christopher Lee for that next time!

Except Shore worked on Into The West

And that it had Shore's recognisable and tender orchestration, the Hobbity instrumentation, a main theme from the film as the refrain, lyrics that aren't emo, and not to mention a wonderful intro before it.

Just watched the production diary, and it was awesome. Cool to see so much footage of the recording sessions not to mention Howard Shore talking about the score. I do wish it features more of Doug and Howard at his house. That was really cool stuff.

BTW, you can learn some cue numbers from the video :)

I have to say away from the film, the Sheeran song isn't that bad. I can actually listen to it and not hate it when I listen on it's own (I've definitely heard it over 30 times now). The problem is when I hear it after the film or after the score. It just sounds so out of place and wrong.

On it's own as a pop song, it's decent and better than most of Sheeran's other stuff. As the ending to a Middle-Earth film it's terrible. I'd have left straight away every time if it wasn't for the fact that the far greater Beyond the Forest plays after it.

Anyway, the production blog was great. I hope we get to see more of this kind of thing. I don't even mind waiting until the TABA EE as long as it's of significant length.

No fire can frighten me after being locked in a car with four women for 22 hours.

But - they noticed the connection between the AUJ "bookend" theme and the House of Durin theme on first listen, without any didactic input from me, so I can't complain about them. :)

No. Only through The Forest River is chronological. Everything from Bard, A Man of Lake-town through Smaug is out of order. Hopefully today or tomorrow I can post a definitive list.

Okay here goes, it will be interesting to compare with what Jason finds later

The first ten tracks are in chronological order, so no need to list them

(Though I will add that I heard new material in Mirkwood, Flies and Spiders, The Woodland Realm, Barrels in Bond and of course the Forest River)

Then it went something like

The High Fells

Bard, a Man of Lake Town (but just a small part of it I think, I dont know if the rest was all dialed out, or placed elsewhere)

The Nature of Evil

Protector of the Common Folk (with some new material as Bard talks to the people as they dump fish into the barrels)

Thrice Welcome

Girion Lord of Dale (Dont know for sure, but I did hear Bards theme here where the OST didnt have it, so in the middle some of 'Man of Laketown' it might be placed)

Durins Folk (as I mentioned elsewhere, this track is out of order. The first 2 minutes come last, the last minute comes first)

In the Shadow of the Mountain (with some new material as they take Kili to Bard)

A spell of Concealment (right up until 1:25, though the middle is wholly replaced with new material, including that nice Gandalf theme)

On the Doorstep

Hunters (the first 20 seconds)

The Courage of Hobbits (up until 0:45)

The rest of A Spell of Concealment

The rest of The Courage of Hobbits

Inside Information (Smaugs reveal has a new rendition of Smaugs B Theme)

Smaug (from 2:30 to 5:20)

Hunters (from 0:20 to around 3:00)

A Liar and a Thief

Smaug (the very last bit)

Hunters (from around 3:20 up until 5:45, right before the Dwarven theme kicks in)

Kings Foil (the first half about, with some more elvish unreleased material in it)

Smaug (The first part, might go all the way to 2:30)

The rest of Kings Foil

The rest of Hunters

My Armor is Iron (with a lot of different unreleased Smaug music before it starts)

and the end credits are about the same

BTW fun fact, the unreleased bit (Leggy Moment #3 I guess?) from The Forest River is the first piece music we heard from the Production Diary.

yeah thats a fine example of how new material is just inserted into the music from the soundtrack for the movie

Not sure if that makes it a part of the recording sessions or not

If I remember correctly, there's a lot of cool unreleased bits from The Forest River.

It'd be great to have the entire action cue released in complete form.