Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Yeah, I thought it wouldn't be because you saw the film before me and mentioned it here. But then, it proved not to be the case. It cuts off at the exactly same moment.

Karol

No, it doesn't. The last 10-15 seconds were cut off. It was originall meant to end with the crescendo to the black screen.

Well, in any case, they made a good decision this time. Grand crescendos leading into black screens are horrible clichés.

Karol

I watched the film again tonight with some friends. I'll share some thoughts/observations later, but I agree. I really liked how the music dialled out in the end this time around. What I didn't like was the cliché, dramatic, trailer boom that closed the film. I think they should have just left the silence to linger while Ed Sheeran's questionable song begins to play.

the order of soundtrack is even odder seeing it the second time around

'Durins Folk' begins with the ending part and ends with the beginning?

Now I am imagining Thorin robbing the armory after the Master gives him his welcome

Has someone who has seen the film a couple of times figured out at which point the unedited album version of the Minas Morgul music would start? The film version omits half of it.

Btw, I think that piece could profit enormously from some, ahem, "epic" chorus.

I really dislike when scores aren't in chronological order. The standard edition should have been modified for "a better listening experience" with the Special Edition being as close to the film as possible.

Another thing that warrants a CR release for these films IMO. AUJ has loads of unreleased music, DOS has less but is all over the place chronology wise.

Has someone who has seen the film a couple of times figured out at which point the unedited album version of the Minas Morgul music would start? The film version omits half of it.

wait I thought the Minas Morgul music was one of the bits from 'Spell of Concealment' that didnt get cut?

I was thinking exactly the same thing! Time for an epic choral version of Sauron's theme or some seriously twisted chanting of the Power of Mordor! Or perhaps draw parallel to another Gandalf duel and use a similar choral line that was used in his confrontation with Saruman in FotR.

Well that was rather excellent Georg! It really gave some epic ooomph to the whole thing. :)

I actually like how the final section now also has choir although it ends a bit abruptly. Very well done Georg! Now send word for London Voices to do a quick choral overlay over the weekend so we can put some of the real good stuff on to the orchestral track. ;)

Question for Doug.

What's producing that lone drone at 3:40 in Smaug (Extended Version)?

My first thought was didgeridoo, but it sounds a bit too clean and pure for that.

Question for Doug.

My first thought was didgeridoo, but it sounds a bit too clean and pure for that.

Don't have the audio with me at the moment, but if I'm thinking of the correct passage, it's a tuned gong. Will check later.

D

Shore has a beautiful writing studio.

I agree with croc, that was the coolest vid yet. I love Pope's dynamic spirit and charisma in the recording sessions! And for those who kept questioning Shore's health (I'm looking at you Steef!), he seemed in a rather cheery mood (compared to the grave solemnity of the recording sessions vid for AUJ). See the gamelan orchestra playing around was cool too!

I know its unlikely, but I'd love to see more of this!

Shore has a beautiful writing studio.

I agree with croc, that was the coolest vid yet. I love Pope's dynamic spirit and charisma in the recording sessions! And for those who kept questioning Shore's health (I'm looking at you Steef!), he seemed in a rather cheery mood (compared to the grave solemnity of the recording sessions vid for AUJ). See the gamelan orchestra playing around was cool too!

I know its unlikely, but I'd love to see more of the recording sessions videos for this!

Let's hope for a proper 20-30 minute featurette on the EE next year.

Karol

Excellent production video log! Alternate passages of music! Excited Howard Shore! Doug Adams! This one has it all!

And Conrad Pope, despite the awful criticism showered on him by some, is one top bloke. :)

Oh my, the violinist who gets interviewed must be of Finnish descend. No one in the world can have name like Vesa-Matti Leppänen but a Finn (not Neil Finn but a Finnish person).

EDIT: Ah he is from Finland and is the concert master of NZSO. Hehehe a nice Finnish connection to DoS soundtrack right there.

Wow. I never knew that Pietari Inkinen, another Finn, is the musical director of NZSO. :eek:

We need Pasi Tiitinen, Finlands great hornist to be in that orchestra next year!

Good docu, needs more of Shore though.

I am hoping for a longer docu on the score for DoS EE next year and even a longer one for the eventual TABA EE. :)

The NZO seemed pretty buzzed to have the opportunity to record this score. I'm glad it was acknowledged that they were also used for parts of FOTR. (i always LOVED the Dwarrowdelf music).

Because Shore wasnt in NZ, he feels more detached from the rest of the crew the in the LOTR docu's.

It's a very nice video - probably the best one yet. :)

And a clean snippet of some unused music too. (Unused on album, I mean)

Karol

Around when does this play? dont have time to watch the full vid right now

I really wonder why they keep such lovely scoring documentation in the vast deep of the internet instead of putting it on the EE DVD. Sometimes I really don't understand these people.

Did I hear that right, 16 new themes in DoS?

Question for Doug.

Don't have the audio with me at the moment, but if I'm thinking of the correct passage, it's a tuned gong. Will check later.

D

Cheers. Would that have been recorded with at Wellington Town Hall with the full orchestra, or with the Gamelan ensemble we see in the vlog?

I'm guessing it's the gong ageng. Amazing sound!

BTW, what's the crazy spiral-shaped cymbal being bowed at 7:27 in the vlog? Never seen that before.