Instruments that didn't quite make it, instruments that may not make it

BLUMENKOHL

Been listening to my library and I've noticed the harpsichord has all but disappeared outside of providing a "historical sound" in music, particularly film music. Hell, it hardly survived the baroque period. It's a shame, it's a fantastic sounding instrument, I love the texture.

What other instruments are you noticing have disappeared, or do you expect to take on more of an occasional supporting role rather than an essential of the orchestra?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been listening to my library and I've noticed the harpsichord has all but disappeared outside of providing a "historical sound" in music, particularly film music. Hell, it hardly survived the baroque period. It's a shame, it's a fantastic sounding instrument, I love the texture.

What other instruments are you noticing have disappeared, or do you expect to take on more of an occasional supporting role rather than an essential of the orchestra?

Paul McCartney still uses the harpsichord, even on his upcoming album. John Wiliams too, of course.

The Thomas Crown Affair

Thunderball

The Last Before Time

The Last Run

The Eiger Sanction

Under the Volcano

Family Plot

Get Carter

etc.

What about the blaster beam?

The Thomas Crown Affair

Thunderball

The Last Before Time

The Last Run

The Eiger Sanction

Under the Volcano

Family Plot

Get Carter

etc.

What about the blaster beam?

There are more scores with xylophone in em!

Cowbell.

I was expecting to hear that in Man of Steel, you know, to represent the heart and soul of America.

Even the theremin. Ever hear a theremin being used in film scores in the 2010's?

The rarity of theremin parts may have to do with the fact that there seem to be few first rate players in the world.

The 80's Yamaha DX7

Randy Kerber's synth celesta for Williams's scores is part DX7.

Full-fledged Copland-esque Western scores???

By the year 2005, the blues will exist only in the classical record section of your local library.

He said INSTRUMENTS.