Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

I HATED the score to Gravity, and still LOVED the film.

There are tons of films I love with completely forgettable or downright bad scores. Shame you can't get around that...

THIS!

Unlike Jason I dont hate the score, but I do think its by far the weakest aspect of a great film.

I sampled a few tracks on Youtube and removed from the film it just sits there as synthetic/orchestral sound effects for the most part.

Nolan's Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and Inception are great films with horrible scores. I love his Memento and couldn't even tell you who scored it or what the score sounded like.

Man Of Steel had a horrible score but I enjoyed the film

The first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Skyfall

Watchmen

The list goes on and on.

Skyfall a horrible score?

I find it incredibly boring.

Man of Steel had a horrible score?

Inception had a horrible score?

Absolutely terrible, among the least interesting scores I've ever made myself listen to.

I tried to hate the Pirates score but I can't, so I stopped. It is relentless and a complete score release would be too much, but I like the highlights.

I didn't hate the score to Gravity. It helped complement the visuals when SFX would have been inappropriate, namely for the exterior shots in vacuum. And it had some quiet or serene moments when Ryan and the audience were permitted to breathe, which were decently pretty. I would have to hear it outside of the film to know if I hate it.

what does computer speakers have to do with anything?

I don't think the Inception, Skyfall, or Watchmen scores hurt the films, they are just completely uninteresting to listen to separated from the film.

Just the stock speakers that came with the Mazda, but my car has auxiliary in so it's a perfect line-in from my ipod

what does computer speakers have to do with anything?

I don't think the Inception, Skyfall, or Watchmen scores hurt the films, they are just completely uninteresting to listen to separated from the film.

Must it be taken literally? Speakers. The film score doesn't hurt the film but I don't like it so it's a bad film score. What?

Of course, Cosman, but my point is that it's not really proper to go around hailing a bunch of titles as horrible scores when you would say that they do what they're supposed to, which is service the film.

When someone says, "the score doesn't hurt the film", it doesnt' automatically mean that "the score helps the film".

And also there is a big gap and difference between "just serviceable" and "great"!

I haven't also heard a score that hurts the film. All usually are serviceable.

(except maybe the TD score for LEGEND, although I haven't seen the complete theatrical film to have an overall opinion)

The last 2 years. or so

What film did you see that that really made you think the score was not working at all?

No Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...too easy! ;)

That was one of my choices :P

Argo and large chunks of The Hunger Games.

Yes. And yes.

Saying you loved a film but hated the score pretty much just says that you don't like the soundtrack album on your computer speakers.

Baloney. I have a great deal of respect for you, Koray, but I don't follow you at all on this one. I haven't (yet) listened to the score for Gravity apart from the movie, and I consider it just about the only bottom-scraping element of an otherwise phenomenal film. I hear what you're saying; I know and agree that certain scores work perfectly well for the visual story they support, but sound like dog doo-doo when you're listening to them on their own. But there are plenty of examples of scores for great films that just plain sucked, whether considered with or apart from their cinematic counterpart. It doesn't have to ruin the experience of watching the movie (unless you're a composer, I guess), but it's usually a noticeable quantity along the way.

- Uni

Saying you loved a film but hated the score pretty much just says that you don't like the soundtrack album on your computer speakers.

Baloney. I have a great deal of respect for you, Koray, but I don't follow you at all on this one. I haven't (yet) listened to the score for Gravity apart from the movie, and I consider it just about the only bottom-scraping element of an otherwise phenomenal film. I hear what you're saying; I know and agree that certain scores work perfectly well for the visual story they support, but sound like dog doo-doo when you're listening to them on their own. But there are plenty of examples of scores for great films that just plain sucked, whether considered with or apart from their cinematic counterpart. It doesn't have to ruin the experience of watching the movie (unless you're a composer, I guess), but it's usually a noticeable quantity along the way.

- Uni

I'm not arguing against this, just the more specific notion of calling something horrible when it 'doesn't detract from the film at all.' It may be horrible if you're listening to it on your preferred media device, but it certainly isn't when it's paired with the film like it's supposed to be. To me that's not something that can be considered bad. I feel, similarly to filmmusic, that a film's score is roughly responsible for 50% of its net worth. I'd probably love Woody Allen's Cassandra's Dream if it wasn't for Philip Glass's ever presecent doodling.

Yes. And yes.

Bullshit. Both wonderful scores.

Ah. Well. Guess I stand corrected.

- Uni

Yes. And yes.

Bullshit. Both wonderful scores.

Ah. Well. Guess I stand corrected.

- Uni

Nah he's just misguided. They were both shit scores.

I think it's pretty incredible that at this rate, Gravity could end up overtaking Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to become Cuaron's highest grossing movie in the U.S., though probably not worldwide. But even considering it's the lowest-grossing Potter flick, that's impressive. I didn't expect that.

Anyone remember LucasArts game The Dig? It reminded me quite a bit of Cuarón's movie, but just a bit. Apart from being both centered in space, there's not much connection between them; expect maybe the opening scenes in outer space.

I remember that game! It's one of the few Lucasarts / Sierra adventure games I never beat. Not cause I didn't like it, I think I just moved on to something else and never returned. I should revisit it.

I think it's pretty incredible that at this rate, Gravity could end up overtaking Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to become Cuaron's highest grossing movie in the U.S., though probably not worldwide. But even considering it's the lowest-grossing Potter flick, that's impressive. I didn't expect that.

Yeah, but you are forgetting inflation.

I still have all the old Lucasarts games on discs and floppies, I treasure them!

I have the OST CD for The Dig as well, not sure if I've ever listened to it though!

Oh yeah, it's a killer soundtrack. Probably one of Land's best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8kBCO8x2JE

It was going to be a movie at some point, probably later resulted in what Spielberg wanted to do with Interstellar. But then maybe he saw what Cuarón was doing and gave up on the idea.

The game was terrific, but some of the puzzles were real headscratchers. I seem to remember that it was written by Orson Scott Card of Ender's Game fame. And the score was done by using samples from Wagner's work

Saw this film last night. A beautiful looking effects reel, but not much more than that. There just isn't enough meat to the bone behind the high concept premise, to justify its 90 minute running time. Score was one of the worst I've heard in quite a while.