Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

nonsense! thats only a small surcharge!

Those $1.50-$3 surcharges quickly add up, and then even more if you're going for genuine IMAX. 80% of Gravity's opening weekend gross came from the 3D and IMAX showings.

You saw it in 3D?

I have no time for 3D.

huh? don't understand.

the same amount of time you spent on the 2D, you would spend on 3D.

English phase 'I have no time for x' means I'm not interesting in seeing another film in 3D. With the exception of AVATAR, the 3D-ness has detracted from my movie going visits.

I've seen Gravity in both formats -- and the 2D is nowhere near as immersive. I would say the 3D adds to the experience like Avatar did... it's not something the studio threw on to make more money.

filmmusic, considering a good amount of people around that age bracket (40-79 year olds) came to see Gravity -- they were perfectly fine. Some were a little frazzled by the experience, but in a good way.

I'd say if you make it through the Ben Gardner moment, you'll survive the rest.

English phase 'I have no time for x' means I'm not interesting in seeing another film in 3D. With the exception of AVATAR, the 3D-ness has detracted from my movie going visits.

If the 3D worked for you in Avatar, then it certainly will here as well.

Yet I've never consciously noticed so many of 3D's flaws as here - most likely due to the space settings, strong contrasts, sharp contours etc., and of course the standard 24fps jerkiness. A 48fps version of this might have convinced more people than The Hobbit.

What separates Gravity from most other converted to 3D films ive seen is that Cuaron directed every shot with the intention of it being seen in 3D.

3D requirs a different style of shooting.

A film like Iron Man 3 features a lot of quick cuts and shaky cam in its action scenes, which dont work in 3D because that style if shooting and editing ruins the immersive quality good 3D has.

Avatar, Hugo, Tintin, Gravity all use a lot of sustained, fluid shots which give you much more a feeling of depth even in 2D.

DePalma should do one in 3D...

• 2 weeks later...

If you are shooting a film which is almost completely CGI, and you intend to have it converted to 3D, what would be the point of "shooting" it on film.

For the exterior scenes, spacewalk stuff everything is CGI with the exception of the actors faces. So even the space suits arent real.

Doing that on film has no benefit what so ever.

It would be creating a film on a computer, transferring it to film, and transferring it back to digital again so it can be played on digital projectors in the cinema.

I'm impressed with the CGI then if even the space suits weren't real.

There's behind-the-scenes photos of Clooney and Bullock... and it looks like they wore half of a suit, while the rest was motion-capture. I find it extremely impressive that they generated the visors digitally, but I guess they did that to control any potential glare from the set lights.

• 1 month later...

Specs on the upcoming blu-ray release.

Could "Gravity: Silent Space Version" be a version without score?

Seems like it could be an alternate sound mix offered, with the score dialed out. I don't know how it would fare, since Price's score pulls double duty in the film. Sounds interesting though.

I don't know why WB is offering a 2-disc DVD for this. Unless "Collision Point", "Gravity Mission Control" and "Sandra's Surprise" are really lengthy -- you could fit all the extras with the 91 minute film on one disc with no compression problems.

Ooooooh, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!

BTW, your "specs" link just brings me to the top of this page.

I think Koray meant to link to this page:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/gravity.html

• 4 weeks later...

Whoops, sorry about the link. I was referring to blu-ray.com's article of it.

Either way though according to a poster in the comments for the UK release, the US version isn't getting the Silent Space Version.

Also, Cuaron wanted it to be a silent film in every sense of the word, except Guillermo Del Toro convinced him not to.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight Gravity won 7 Academy Awards out of 10 nominations.

It won Best Director, Cinematography, Film Editing, Original Score, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and best Visual Effects.

It didn't win Production Design (lost to Great Gatsby) or Best Actress (lost to Cate Blanchett) or Best Picture (lost to 12 Years A Slave)

I remember when I saw it, I really liked it and thought it was a great movie. Didn't know it would go on to be a commercial and critical success, and win so many awards. Let alone a best picture nomination!

Planning on watching it at home soon, I am curious how it will compare to the time I saw it in the theater, in IMAX....

It's great how Alfonso Cuaron won not one, but two Oscars for this movie. Best Director and Best Film Editing.

That makes me feel better about Gravity being passed up for Best Picture. Cuaron got the kudos and awards he deserved.

Cuaron delivered a visceral and potent experience -- and he rightly deserved praise for it. That's why he and his son didn't win Best Original Screenplay.

I'm glad he got best director, yes. It was one hell of a ride and felt brand new.

But these ongoing Best Pic/Director divides are bullshit and don't work.

But all the director does is yell ACTION and CUT!

The producer is the driving force of a film!

Yes! They drive around the backlot during the shooting and shout at people to hurry up. Also they constantly remind the crew that time is money and use whips to drive them on with ever hurried pace. But mostly they just drive aimlessly around the studios all day long.

Whenever two or more producers meet or work together they form a driving force. It is a tad scarier than say Delta Force but there is a lot of driving involved. Usually in Porsches.

But all the director does is yell ACTION and CUT!

The producer is the driving force of a film!

Yes! Why is there no Oscar For Best Producer?

There is one. It's called the "Academy Award for Best Picture". It goes to the producers.