Drew Struzan Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom pencil sketch

Jay

An early pencil drawing by Drew Struzan would later become the final artwork for The Temple of Doom (minus the skulls).

374499_10151789196098284_1452888756_n.pn

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151789196098284&set=a.10150888336533284.407461.7601848283&type=1&theater

What an incredible artist. Something about seeing a great artist's work in pencil or pen always strikes me as especially astounding, since the workflow is so simple and familiar. It's really nothing but a sheet of paper, a drawing implement, and a hand skillfully guided by a shrewd brain. There's no mystery whatsoever in how Struzan created this sketch...it's just a simple matter of putting down the right amount of graphite in the right spots. Yet none of us could do it.

The more popular Raiders Posters were made by amsel. Struzan made several but most were not used. One was used in europe and was later used for the film's 10th anniversary.

raiders.jpg

The TOD poster used in the OST (the teaser) was not made by Struzan.

All Crusade and KOTCS posters were made by him.

Such a great image, sums the tone of the movie up perfectly.

I agree. One of those posters that just nails the feel of the movie. The other films' didn't do that near as well. Yes, the Amsel Raiders posters are still awesome, despite the bizarre hint of Tom Selleck-ness in Ford's likeness on the first poster. Crusade's are the weakest, although the "Man with the Hat is Back" version has a pretty iconic rendering of Ford with another great tagline.

Temple's posters feel exactly like the movie. I'm talking about this one and the one with torn shirt Indy in the archway holding the machete.

Temple's posters feel exactly like the movie. I'm talking about this one and the one with torn shirt Indy in the archway holding the machete.

Funny the teaser depicts a situation or scenery nowhere to be seen in the film :P