What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

Maybe it stems from the tube era. Them glass fishbowl screens literally looked indestructible. 

388509af060eeca42c037feff833a991.jpg

Unrelated (but merged anyway thanks to Jay's forum management):

Remember I said that people don't have a clue about sound and vision?

Was it as funny to you as it was to me?

Regular monochrome computer monitors. Somehow they are very befitting of the Alien universe.

But more importantly, how many of you thought the colors of that KS8000 video I posted were actually perfect?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't buy any new TV without first testing/knowing its input latency. All newer reviews from good outlets will provide this now essential information. 

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The Panasonic 55 is really interesting, yes. Especially since it's Plasma at its very best.

How's the $600 price tag?  These are all used TVs.

It's a 55" and the last model they made (Plasma improved with each generation). If it's a demo model, it would cost 800 to 1000 Euro over here.

@Jay That's the model I own. I bought it 3 years ago for $1500 before they got discontinued. I'd say $600 is a great deal but I don't know how newer models compare to it. Just looking on Amazon right now that TV ranges from $2400 to $6000. 

I bought our Samsung LCD TV in 2008 and it still works perfectly fine so I've done zero research into what technologies and whatever else have come out in the TV world since then.

Yeah, we're still perfectly fine with the Vizio we bought in 2010.  I'm not blown away by the difference between 1080p and 4K like I was between 480p and 1080p.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I bought our Samsung LCD TV in 2007 and it still works perfectly fine so I've done zero research into what technologies and whatever else have come out in the TV world since then.

THIS!

Though I bought my Samsung in 2008.

60" Panasonic Plasma.  Wonderful deep blacks and great cinematic picture. It's 1080p of course, and I thought about upgrading, but I can't find a 4K TV with a better picture, at least with HDR, at a reasonable price. And at the distance I sit from the TV, the benefits of upgrading to 4K w/o HDR are negligible. 

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

THIS!

Though I bought my Samsung in 2008.

Turns out I was off a bit; I bought the condo in December 2007, but didn't get the HDTV until January 2008.

I bought this one, back then, for $1500!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N50S5Y/

The bezel on it now is so enormous compared to modern TVs!

13 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

60" Panasonic Plasma.  Wonderful deep blacks and great cinematic picture. It's 1080p of course, and I thought about upgrading, but I can't find a 4K TV with a better picture, at least with HDR, at a reasonable price. And at the distance I sit from the TV, the benefits of upgrading to 4K w/o HDR are negligible. 

Yeah I don't get this impulsive need to upgrade TVs every year with some people. Can't they buy a TV and be happy with it for at least five years?

41 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Yeah I don't get this impulsive need to upgrade TVs every year with some people. Can't they buy a TV and be happy with it for at least five years?

Given the distance most people sit from their TV's (8-10') and the average TV size (42-50"), the benefits of upgrading to 4K are very limited, if not nil. The eye can only make out so much detail at distance. All this amazement people feel at putting their face right up to the screen at the local Best Buy or Curry's just doesn't translate into most home viewing conditions. And those conditions won't be changing, nor will the eyes ability to see fine detail improve. If you're in the market for a new TV b/c your old one died or you want something bigger, by all means 4K is the way to go (because that's the new standard and why not). But most upgrades from perfectly good 1080p (or even 720p) TV's are a waste of money (as are all so-called "Smart" TVs).

HDR is another matter of course, and really can dramatically improve the viewing experience, but widespread, affordable, true HDR TV's and content are a ways off.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

No one has yet been able to explain HDR to me in a way where my eyes don't immediately glaze over.

More detail in the shadows, Stu.  Are you running to Best Buy now?

HDR is awesome, and an absolute must feature in whatever TV I eventually upgrade to in a couple of years time. HDR is transformative in regards to image detail and clarity. You think 4K looks great? It does. But 4K HDR is immediately superior even to that. It's a night and day difference. 

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

HDR is awesome, and an absolute must feature in whatever TV I eventually upgrade to in a couple of years time. HDR is transformative in regards to image detail and clarity. You think 4K looks great? It does. But 4K HDR is immediately superior even to that. It's a night and day difference. 

Isnt it just a gimmick though?

It's out of your price bracket mate. Remember: anything new which is too expensive for your wallet is a gimmick. 

One time, colour was a gimmick. Then it was stereo sound. Then it was wide-screen. Then DTS. They were all "gimmicks", when they were pricey. 

I never bought a 3D TV. But good HDR capability will be integral to my future TV purchase. 

No I didn't. To you it's probably a gimmick you can live without (mainly because you've yet to see a good HDR demonstration and because of the aforementioned premium attached to the technology at the moment). To me it'll eventually become an essential component of all televisions. This is a fact though: it'll be standard in 5 years, same as 1080p is now.  

It could be that bargain buy pride and joy you love for a few days, until you see your buddy's new TV a few weeks later, and he showcases to you the awesome High Dynamic Range it has, and straight away you have the buyers remorseful realisation that your bargain buy is already obsolete, because you now have that gutting feeling that you wish you'd held out for a bit longer. We've all been there. 

HDR isn't a gimmick. 4K (or UHD) isn't a gimmick either..but it's pretty damn close to being one. And 8K, whenever it rolls around, will definitely be a gimmick.

The difference is, 4K isn't going to deliver a noticeable increase in picture quality under most normal home viewing experiences. It's simply an increase in resolution, but the underlying LED/LCD tech is the same.   If you're sitting 10' away from a 42" TV, you're probably not going to be able to tell the difference between a 1080p TV an a 4K one. In fact most likely the 4K won't look any better than a 720p TV at that distance. Get a bigger screen and sit a little closer, with very good eyes, and you might notice a slight difference, but it will mostly be on the margins. Sit very close...closer than most people are comfortable watching TV...and yeah, you'll notice the increased resolution. So what? Who watches TV like that.

HDR is something different altogether. A good HDR picture (and certainly all HDR TV's are also UHD) isn't quite a dramatic as the difference between B&W and colour...but it's pretty damn close. If you don't think HDR is a big deal in terms of the future of TV's, you've never seen a real HDR image.  A real HDR image will make a big difference in picture quality on a 32" TV in your dorm room.

Go to Best Buy or Currys and look at an OLED TV. That's where things are going.  

When I saw HDR in action, I just couldn't believe all of the extra detail in the shadows being resolved, it was amazing - that for decades that stuff has been literally invisible to us. Imperceptible before, due to image shortcomings we've come to take for granted.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Can someone finally tell me what the fuck HDR is?

Steef, HDR stands for high dynamic range. In theory that means HDR equipment can capture more light between light and shadow in the same shot. Why is that important? Well, our eyes have a greater dynamic range than standard cameras or film. Imagine a scene under a bridge on a sunny day.  In order to control the extreme brightness (from the light that falls next to the bridge), the overall brightness needs to be lowered so nothing in the frame is overexposed. The result is that everything that is under the bridge will be too dark and with less color (without HDR).

Praha-IMG664345tonemapped-XL.jpg

HDR shot from under a bridge.  If this was shot with normal dynamic range, the area under the bridge would be very dark, and the boats would almost be overexposed.