What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

That, plus images on none native devices don't adequately demonstrate the actual visual difference anyway. See the bridge in panning motion, blown up on a big UHD screen, and it'd be incredibly striking. 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Can someone finally tell me what the fuck HDR is?

4K TV's have more pixels, and thus give you more resolution. More resolution is fine, but it's like making computers laptops thinner and thinner...it's not a great leap forward, and the law of diminishing returns has already kicked in on resolution.

HDR, on the other hand, makes each one of those pixels better...whites are brighter, blacks are darker, and everything in between shows much more clarity and nuance. Colour is better (10-bit...about a billion colours vs. 16 million for blu ray), contrast is better, brightness is better.  Anyone can immediately see the improvement with HDR on any size TV at any distance.

Also, the HDR you see in photos on your phone (which is created by combining multiple exposures taken of each shot) is not the same as you'll see on a true HDR monitor with native video HDR content. It's still HDR, but it's a different tech which can produce varying results.

That's why I replied to Drax with "Lol". Because his comment was both ignorant and quaint. 

HDR is a tough sell, simply because nobody has the necessary tech to view its demo material. There's plenty of HDR videos online, but they all look exactly the same as standard videos - when viewed on a standard non HDR capable device. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

That's why I replied to Drax with "Lol". Because his comment was both ignorant and quaint. 

Incorrect.

I was referring to screencaps of HDR movies vs non-HDR movies, not HDR shots taken with multiple exposures with a camera.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

HDR is a tough sell, simply because nobody has the necessary tech to view its demo material. There's plenty of HDR videos online, but they all look exactly the same as standard videos - when viewed on a standard non HDR capable device. 

Brands do make an effort though. Samsung has TV ads for their Quantum Dot 4k screens. Not understanding the fallacy of trying to show off the image quality of a brand new TV on a 9 year old LCD one.

Bless them.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So would that $600 Panasonic I could get have HDR, or no?

Real HDR at that price? Unlikely. What's the model #?

If it does have it I bet its a achilles heel will be its MS response. Only the still prohibitively expensive sets tend to come with both features as spec'd up as I'd need them to be. 

If I'm reading the thread correctly, he's looking at a 1080p plasma, which most certainly won't have HDR (though that Panasonic is an excellent plasma TV Jay....I'd buy it over any similarly priced LED 4K set, unless you sit relatively close to your TV, or are using it in a very bright room).

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

If I'm reading the thread correctly, he's looking at a 1080p plasma, which most certainly won't have HDR (though that Panasonic is an excellent plasma TV Jay....I'd buy it over any similarly priced LED 4K set, unless you sit relatively close to your TV, or are using it in a very bright room).

I buy that Panasonic Plasma over any $2000 LED 4K set. The whole LED backlight concept is unnatural (and invented because it was cheap to manufacture).

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:

As home entertainment was meant to be.

Then why don't you sell your Panasonic ZT60 to Jay? He might give you 600 US Dollars for it!!!

Can you prove that you have a Panasonic Plasma, Drax? Why don't you take a picture of it with that Canon 6D of yours?  ;)

But now I'm having the satisfaction that you're making things up, Drax. Is that what you want? One little piccy of your Pana playing Godzilla can take that satisfaction away. It is in your hands ...

Why would someone lie about owning a TV? You make it sound like I claimed I keep the Ark of the Covenant in my house. There were plenty more expensive TVs in 2013 that I passed over in favour of the VT60.

7 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Why would someone lie about owning a TV?

The above posted photo is actually an elaborate photoshop combining various elements of my internet persona: Star Trek, Titanic, film scores and Sony Trinitrons.

17 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

The above posted photo is actually an elaborate photoshop combining various elements of my internet persona: Star Trek, Titanic, film scores and Sony Trinitrons.

Fake! There's no E.T. anywhere.

Yesterday I saw the new Sony OLED models (55" and 65"). Playing was a typical 4K demo and bits of Passengers which looked way better on my secondhand Samsung Plasma, BTW.

Yes, as on all TVs, the typical 4K HDR demo looked incredible but that doesn't mean a thing. 

lgoledhdr-2l.jpg

Typical demo images

You mean Alien Covenant, right? As for looking great, I first have to see it before I believe it. Maybe it's the settings.

The only TV technology that sorta looks looks tube TV is Plasma. 

BTW, when it comes to IQ, it seems that the OLED TV has already reach it technological ceiling:

The only difference between the 2016 and 2017 models is purely cosmetic. And for that you pay almost twice the price. Hahahaha!