What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

They tout the wider and superior colour range of UHD, yet remasters of older films seem less colourful, like Independence Day, which looks more sepia now in its new 4K remaster. So what's the point when the original blu-ray has more colour?

Less color is what's fashionable these last years, even when redoing the master, I suppose (you know, to make your old film look more like a contemporary movie). But some still want classic, saturated colors. 

5 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I just want it to look like it did when it came out and on previous home video releases. 

I agree ... even though I'm really happy with the Blu-ray of Alien. That's right! Ridley Scott updates the look of his movies too. I guess that deep down inside they are all little Lucasses.

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

And in 30 years, people will say "the teal look is so 2010s, I can't believe they changed older films to match some dumb new fad".

In thirty years, old movies will be once again adjusted to the new taste.

• 4 months later...

So we're in the market for a new TV.  It's gonna be 55", and seems like having Smart TV features built in at this point is pretty ideal.  

Does anywhere here have a TCL brand TV?  This one seems nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/15815602/tcl-roku-tv-4k-series-review-best-budget-tv

BTW: Do I really want Dolby Vision or is normal HDR fine?

Good, support the American economy!

In Europe, when it comes to TVs, we can only support the Japanese or Korean economy. Wait, I forgot about Philips! 

Well I can find plenty of good 55" 4K HDR tvs in the $400-$800 range.

If I were to go OLED for the same size, I'm looking at $1500+.  Dunno if OLED is worth an extra grand in our current financial state, ya know?

5 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I'd recommend either a Sony or Panasonic OLED. Brownie points to Sony for using Android. The Panasonic Viera interface is slow and cumbersome on my Panasonic plasma, but maybe they've improved it since 2013?

LG is much cheaper. Can't you buy last year's model LG OLED, Jay? The difference between 2016 and 2017 models is purely aesthetical.

I tried to find deals on 2016 LG OLEDs but they all still seemed to be over $1500.  Maybe your googling can be better than mine?

This link might work

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=LG+55"+OLED

There's really barely a price difference between the 2016 OLEDs and the 2017 OLEDs, really...

My folks have a five year old LG smart TV but I can't figure out how to make it properly see files on the network, to see vacation and baby photos on the big screen. So I bought them a Chromecast to do the same thing. They have limited data which makes it easier to go offline. 

That TCL has a neat feature where you can pause live TV coming in from the antennae.  I guess its tech inside is smart enough to record the digital signal for however long of a pause buffer it lets you have.

We currently have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Starz, and HBO Now so having everything built into the TV and not needing external boxes and wires sounds nice.

I put out a broken rototiller at the end of the driveway once and it was gone like an hour later.  People take anything

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So we're in the market for a new TV.  It's gonna be 55", and seems like having Smart TV features built in at this point is pretty ideal.  

Does anywhere here have a TCL brand TV?  This one seems nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

BTW: Do I really want Dolby Vision or is normal HDR fine?

That’s the best 4K TV you can get for the price range. I plan on picking that one up when I make the switch to 4K.

Best Buy has it for $600 last time I checked. Amazon’s used to be $650 but went up. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s the best 4K TV you can get for the price range. I plan on picking that one up when I make the switch to 4K.

It looks like it goes on sale for $599 every 3 months or so.  I'll let you know if I see a bargain on it, which could happen around Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday

Best Buy has it for $600 last time I checked. Amazon’s used to be $650 but went up. 

Close.  Best Buy has a slightly different model - 55P605 instead of 55P607.  The difference is the remote, the 607's remote is better.  And since it will go on sale for $599 at some point and the 605 seems to be a steady $599 at BestBuy all the time, I'll wait for a deal on the 607.

I'm behind on TV tech.  Can you go into detail about what that is and what to look for on TV specs /  what you saw in the specs for this TV that tipped you off to it?

~

Quint, this review gives the TV a 9.7 out of 10 for input lag.  What made you think this TV has input latency issues?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607

~

And this page says this TCL line is the BEST cheap TV for gaming

https://www.easypcmod.com/5-best-tv-gaming-2017-837

~

This review says "Gamers will also be satisfied, because the P-Series offers some of the lowest input lag around on a 4K TV when you toggle on the game mode setting. "

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/15815602/tcl-roku-tv-4k-series-review-best-budget-tv

Oh... So you posted an uninformed opinion that wasn't based around something you noticed in the specs for the TV I was asking about, and the opposite of what you assumed was true was actually the truth.   Thanks for worrying me over nothing! :lol:

What? No, I posted an informed opinion about it but without looking at any of the TVs you listed. I only noticed your figure, which is why I chimed in. 

Don't worry, I'll not bother next time. 

But I didn't list multiple TVs, I posted about one specific TV.  You assumed it had latency issues (for... reasons?) and got me all worried that it did, so I looked it up and it turns out it has no input latency issues, and is considered an excellent TV for gaming. 

And I'm in the wrong here?

And that is great advice, of course.  But you only said that AFTER I had done all the googling because your ORIGINAL post reads as if you had examined the TV I asked about, and noticed that it had input latency problems.  I don't know why you can't follow this or why you're getting so angry at me, but its all good man, and I appreciate the concern. :up:

3 hours ago, Jay said:

We currently have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Starz, and HBO Now so having everything built into the TV and not needing external boxes and wires sounds nice.

I really hate this "Smart TV" trend.  I wish you could have the option of buying kick ass 4K, HDR TV w/DolbyVision, etc. without it being Smart anything and not having to pay a premium for that crap. Because the reality is, Smart TVs aren't smart. They're actually quite dump. Their apps are generally average performers at best and eventually get less and less responsive and antiquated looking. Eventually, the manufacturer just stops supporting them and they just start sucking.

Meanwhile, you can buy something like a Amazon Firestick or Roku every couple years for next to nothing, and can be confident that you'll have the latest tech that will be reliably updated by a company that actually cares about the apps.

Nothing against what you're looking for in a TV Jay...that's a fantastic set for for the money. I just wish and other sets like it were available without the bloat. It's why, for the moment, I'm sticking with my 1080p Panasonic Plasma.  

Well, Smart TVs don't seem to cost any more than TVs with the stuff built in, and many companies don't seem to even be bothering to make TVs without it built in any more.

And we already have a great Amazon Fire box, so we can always just keep using that if we don't like the built-in version.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well, Smart TVs don't seem to cost any more than TVs with the stuff built in, and many companies don't seem to even be bothering to make TVs without it built in any more.

Well, that's all a Smart TV is...an internet connected TV that has apps built into it.

And yeah, unfortunately I know..."Smart TV's" are no more expensive than "non-Smart" TV's because unfortunately pretty much all mid to high end TV's are Smart TV's. I'm just saying I wish there were options for those who don't want it.

Has anyone else noticed CRT TVs all over modern films and TV shows? It's like all the CRTs that normal folks no longer own have been donated to film and TV sets.

vlcsnap-2017-10-09-19h13m12s151.png

Just now, Nick1066 said:

I wish there were options for those who don't want it.

I guess the solution is to just never use the built in apps, and just keep the TV permanently on HDMI 1 or whatever