The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

Obviously. But apparently the death of Glenn will have more legacy than the deaths of other original Atlanta survivors like Shane, Dale, T-Dog, and Andrea. Considering that Glenn leaves a wife and unborn child, I kind of see that.  

Well that was a typically light episode to catch the audience's breath and follow one with so much bloodshed.

Carol's reactions are priceless regarding the lunacy of Ezekiel's court, but I think the character is interesting.  

They're clearly setting the stage for the three lesser communities to unite against the Saviors, which could be delayed for years. 

Yeah, light episode -- especially compared to the first -- but a very necessary one.

I loved the part where Carol, dazed and hurt, sees the zombies as living humans before they're killed. I wonder what that means?

George A Romero has been doing a little bitchin' about how the likes of World War Z and The Walking Dead have now made it impossible for him to get funding for another of his 'socio-political' zombie flicks.

Online opinion seems to be broadly that it's not having a 'message' that's preventing him getting funding, it's more that the likes of Survival Of The Dead was terrible.    

Yeah ... he has of course mostly worked in horror, but there's also the likes of his second movie ('There's Always Vanilla') which was a romantic comedy and 'Knightriders' from the early 80s which was about a travelling Renaissance troupe. But more recently he's been all about the zombies, to increasingly diminishing effect.    

• 4 weeks later...

So the consensus among everyone I know who watches this show is that Season 7... kinda sucks, or really sucks, depending on who I'm talking to.  Do you guys agree?

The ratings have taken a huge hit, though that could be not only by declining writing, but by going up against Westworld too; I dunno

ddb6275421609f188b2f44fea69e029f.png (1100×330)

It was like that last season too. Except those six episodes happened simultaneously. At least these are spread out over time. Too spread out over distance. They're building for a climactic battle and payoff that won't be worth the wait. Rick has been too badly cuckolded, he's no longer a compelling hero. 

He's dead to me after these last couple of episodes. Unforgivable.  

It's interesting that they say its the highest fall in ratings seen since season 3; which was probably the best season of The Walking Dead in its entire run so far. Wasn't that a the prison one? Had the Governor too? T'was great stuff, sheer pulp zombie fiction! 

This one though, what it has suddenly become... it's pathetic. 

• 1 month later...

Episode 2 s7: King Ezikiel and tiger: Zzzzz! 

nintchdbpict000278944573.jpg?w=640

Ezikiel and Carol sitting on a bench: "When I was young, blah, blah, blah, then I went to ...  

39E5E7A000000578-3888458-image-a-42_1477

... blah, blah, maybe people need hope, blah, blah, blah, ... " Zzzzzzz!

Episodes 3 & 4 were more entertaining but it's bewildering why nobody shoots that insane Negan in the head. It will be a relief even for his own men.

Jeffery is actually very good at emulating the character he's based on apparently. The trouble is that character behaved in that way on paper, in reading form. It's too much for live action. It's one big, annoying caricature. His performance makes you want to punch him in the face, constantly. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

How is The Comedian, Alex?

He's having fun with the over-the-top character but, like I said, it's hard to believe that nobody shoots a bullet in that megalomanic head of his.

It was also hard to believe nobody capped the Governor either when they had a chance. Human villains drive the plot more than the dead ones, though. 

The sad part of the show is how cuckolded this has made Rick Grimes. He's a shadow of his former badass self, and two of his most useful ass kickers are wasted in the Tiger Kingdom. 

Rick doesn't deserve to be a part of the group anymore, I can't accept his leadership after the lows he stooped to last time. 

Quintus - despises trendy keyboard teenager clique terms like "cuckold".

The Governor was crazy too but he was two-faced. He knew how to conceal his craziness and often played the 'kind' leader, which fooled his people. Negan, on the other hand, openly terrorizes everyone. You can see the fear in the eyes of his men. They are all scared yet nobody in the whole camp seems to have any doubts about their situation. It's too black & white, just like Rick's reaction.  Instead of saying, "We keep quiet until we figure out how to strike back", he says, "From now on Negan is in charge and we will have to live with it until the end of days". Eh ... What?!

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The season is too all over the place. Eugene's episode with Negan is good, as I had forgotten how he and Dwight first, ah, bonded until they discussed it on Talking Dead. But I don't see how they're going to resolve any plot threads. 

The second half of season 7 is better than the first but still not brilliant. I watched some of the first season today, amazing how the quality has declined. 

The seasons based around the prison were its glory years. And Shane (great character) didn't even feature. 

I miss the Governor. Hammy villainy done right. 

The Walking Dead seems to have forgotten its pulpy appeal.