Somewhere In My Memory vs Somewhere In My Memory

crocodile

Somewhere In My Memory Deathmatch!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Somewhere In My Memory do you prefer?

• Somewhere In My Memory (children chorus) from Home Alone
    • Somewhere In My Memory (adult chorus) from Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

The children's chorus version. To my mind it somehow fits the nostalgic rather innocent tone of the song better. In other words it is a children's carol.

I actually prefer the adult version. There is something more somber about it, which tones down the sugary theme a notch.

Karol

To each his own I guess. To me the adult version is a tad too dramatic and has indeed that slight solemn undertone that doesn't quite have the same effect on me as the children's chorus.

None the less both will be heard at my house during Christmas. I just bought the Joy to the World Boston Pops album which features the adult chorus and both Home Alone and Home Alone 2 are staples in my Christmas music repertoire.

Oddly enough I was just discussing this with my girlfriend last night. (We were listening to a Christmas channel on Pandora, and both versions came on). I prefer the children's version, and she prefers the adult version! For me it's probably because I was used to the original children's version for years and years before I ever got the Home Alone 2 CD, but for her she feels adults singing those lyrics make more sense.

I actually prefer the adult version. There is something more somber about it, which tones down the sugary theme a notch.

Karol

To each his own I guess. To me the adult version is a tad too dramatic and has indeed that slight solemn undertone that doesn't quite have the same effect on me as the children's chorus.

None the less both will be heard at my house during Christmas. I just bought the Joy to the World Boston Pops album which features the adult chorus and both Home Alone and Home Alone 2 are staples in my Christmas music repertoire.

By the way, Joy to the World contains what I think is a superior version of Star of Bethlehem - less bombastic and more.... again... somber.

I like somber. Maybe that's why The Book Thief appeals to me so much.

Karol

Karol

By the way, Joy to the World contains what I think is a superior version of Star of Bethlehem - less bombastic and more.... again... somber.

Karol

Star of Bethlehem is of course a more solemn and introspective and melancholy piece (somehow Christmas time brings together joyous celebration and this sense of somber reflection often associated with being alone) but the orchestra and chorus version brings it to a strangely effective melodramatic crescendo that impresses by its sheer rise and those clashing dissonances Williams quite adventurously introduces in that apex (also present in the fully orchestral version. There is something very powerful about the whole piece and the way it combines very dramatic turns and solemnity. Quite brilliant.

I also like the much more humble sounding original version from Home Alone as well. Quite a different effect when sung by the children's chorus with subtle organ accompaniment.

I don't really have an opinion on "Somewhere in My Memory", which I've never really been a fan of in the first place, but the rendition of "Star of Bethlehem" (a far superior song) is much better in HOME ALONE 2 than the first one. More gravitas.

I just noticed yesterday what the difference was in both versions (i was compiling a 'chritsmas cd'). I noticed all the reprised songs in HA2 were sung by adult choir while in the 1st film it was children choir.

I prefer children's voices for the carols. And star of bethelem ends ominous and scary in HA2, while it is fine in one.

EDIT: and i just noticed that the HA version has adult male backup choir in the background...

Good question. Both have different feels that have their own strengths. The children's chorus is more traditional and innocent but there is a, well, maturity to the adult chorus that captures another side of the Christmas season, more melancholic. I definitely prefer the adult chorus with "Star of Bethlehem", which is the piece I prefer honestly. I actually like "Christmas Star" more as well, also a more somber piece.

What's wrong with mature?

Good question. Both have different feels that have their own strengths. The children's chorus is more traditional and innocent but there is a, well, maturity to the adult chorus that captures another side of the Christmas season, more melancholic. I definitely prefer the adult chorus with "Star of Bethlehem", which is the piece I prefer honestly. I actually like "Christmas Star" more as well, also a more somber piece.

I agree this is exactly what gets me. The children version is just to saccharine for my tastes. Christmas carols from where I come from (originally) are much more, as you say, melancholic.

Karol

What's wrong with mature?

I agree this is exactly what gets me. The children version is just to saccharine for my tastes. Christmas carols from where I come from (originally) are much more, as you say, melancholic.

Karol

I don't hear much melancholy in either version of Somewhere in My Memory. Nostalgia perhaps but very little melancholy. Star of Bethlehem on the other hand covers that type of Christmas carol perfectly. And I should know, Finnish Christmas carols are very full of melancholy, probably some of the most melancholic in the world.

An example (my own quick translation):

Hey little elfs now jump for joy,

it is time again for great gladness.

Life it lasts but short a while,

and most of it is so dark and vile.

So little elfs now jump for joy,

it is time again for great gladness.

(Elf here is perhaps equivalent of a Finnish tonttu, a Santa's little helper and a figure of our folk lore before this Father Christmas business, who looks like a smaller version of the jolly santa with a hood and red clothing)

The song is very cheerful and it actually just means that you should celebrate as life is short so you should seize the moment and be happy but it sounds rather morbid all the same.

While listening to my original CD of Home Alone, I wanted to know more about the Expanded Edition and even buy it (a Christmas medley on it seems very interesting...)

Well, to discover that it's been issued on La-La Land... and currently Sold Out on their website... :huh:

It was a great expanded edition, superior presentation to the original album.

It was released on November 26th, 2010, limited to 3,500 copies, and sold out on March 25th, 2013.

There are new, sealed copies available on Amazon.com for $19.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004F4CV5Y/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Oh Sorry, I did not make the search, because I was sure that this kind of release were only sold by the manufacturer, thanks!

Yea, the original OST is wildly out of order, misses some great little cues, and mixes 3 non-Williams non-Film-Music source songs into things. The LLL release is a fantastic listening experience.

Not likely, they want good feedback, so the description needs to be very accurate. It's supposed sealed unused copy with barcode punched (a promo/free sent to someone, perhaps?). I say: get it now! You won't get it at better price than this.

Karol

I'm not afraid of Amazon itself, but anybody can sell on their marketplace. That price for a double-CD supposely SOLD OUT... it's suspect I think.

The album has sold out in the speciality stores (like LLL, Intrada or SAE), but some copies might be still available elsewhere.

This copy has a barcode punched out, so it wasn't supposed to be for sale originally. Probably someone got it as a promo or demo. Maybe someone got a free copy to review or something like that.

Karol

Oh, you know I already found it on the internet. Close Subject :mrgreen:

I prefer the Home Alone 1 version :)

[EDIT] LLL and FSM should think about selling their future releases on-line.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a tough call... I prefer the original choral recording (the children's chorus), but like the orchestration better the way it's presented in HA2. Ultimately, I'd have to say the original - there's something about the upper registers in the Home Alone 2 version that feels off. My favorite iteration of the melody though would be "Listening to Carson."