TWIN PEAKS

Romão

Not Pete, Pete is great. He had some of the best lines in the show

There's a fish in the percolator

True, but he had many great little moments. I'd agree about the other two though (except Catherine dancing with a grief-stricken Leland, that was awesome)

Pete was a fantastic character, and an integral part of the David Lynch style (Jack Nance -- as most of you know -- was a recurrent actor in most of Lynch's films untill his untimely death). He seemed to be "crazier", the longer into the series you went. Which I absolutely loved!

While the actor who plays Pete is good and Pete is a typical Lynch figure, he was still  very much a part of the weak and soapy Sawmill story with Josie and Catherine. I don't understand the love. Steef is right. They dragged him down. He never truly soared. The Sawmill characters didn't do the series much good.

Alex

Those little Pete moments are pretty much an integral part of the appeal and peculiar tone of Twin Peaks. The show would've been weaker without him. It's not so much about his importance in the grand scheme of things

Indeed. Jack Nance is what Richard Dreyfuss and Tom Hanks (and now also Mark Rylance) are to Steven Spielberg -- the 'alter ego' in the films. The one belongs to the other. It's a shame about Nance's tragic death; I'm certain Lynch had Nance in mind (as inspiration) when he wrote THE STRAIGHT STORY. He would have been perfect in that role.

Wasn't there a scene around the table where they were in stitches about the breakfast face? I loved that. I liked that it showed history in one small incidental moment between those two blokes, who were evidently very old friends. 

I've always been one for little details in dialogue, I've always appreciated that extra embellishment in anything tv and film! 

I don't know about the breakfast scene, but I recommend the 2002 documentary I DON'T KNOW JACK. The whole thing is on Youtube:

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

You don't know about the breakfast scene? 

No, I'm not quite sure what you refer to. Is it a breakfast scene between Lynch and Nance's characters at the diner or something? It's been ages since I saw the series, so details like that have escaped my memory, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool poster!

"An 18 episode event".  Why not juts call it "an all-new season"?

i guess that's what Fox did too, with their X-Files revival, they called it "a 6 episode event"

Still, I love to buy the blu-ray and get 18 episodes for the price of one season. You really think Lynch is not going to meet Golden Age standards?

The offiicial word was that while they filmed 18 episodes at once, it will be aired as two 9-episode seasons, in 2017 and 2018.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Has there ever been a Golden Age quality series of 18 episodes in a season?

The original Twin Peaks was the best thing on TV a the time, but wildly uneven. Do you think Lynch is more consistent now?

As consistent as Dune

;)

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The original Twin Peaks was the best thing on TV a the time, but wildly uneven. Do you think Lynch is more consistent now?

Lynch only directed 6 episodes, and he was hands-off for good portions of it (especially while he was filming Wild at Heart)

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Lynch only directed 6 episodes, and he was hands-off for good portions of it (especially while he was filming Wild at Heart)

Quote from Lynch on the matter:  I had very little to do with Season 2, and I’m not happy with it. Up until “Who Killed Laura Palmer?” I was with it 100 percent, and then it drifted away. […] We had a little goose that was laying golden eggs, and they told us to snip its head off. But it’s a great world, the world of Twin Peaks, and it holds many possibilities.

Via http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/david-lynch-true-detective-ronnie-rocket-kanye-west/#ixzz49aPByHs0

I agree with the last part of his statement, that they world they created was filled with possibilities.  But what were they going to do, not solve the Palmer murder?  Just keep milking it?  The problem was not that they ended one story, but that they never came up with another one.  It floundered around until the last couple of episodes.

I think the original plan was to make the actual Palmer case gradually fade into the background as an ongoing enigma while slowly digging deeper and deeper into the more abstract and nutty lore of the town and probably the eventual battle between good and evil. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...