Michael Bay reuses footage from The Island in Transformers 3

Jay

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I never saw the Island it was fresh and new. I read the source novel to the Island and found it to be a fast read.

Should have had Horner do the score.

Though to be fair, this used to be the standard in Golden Age Hollywood. The classic swashbucklers often reused battle scenes of the silent movies they were remakes of.

Should have had Horner do the score.

Though to be fair, this used to be the standard in Golden Age Hollywood. The classic swashbucklers often reused battle scenes of the silent movies they were remakes of.

Many war films found recycle footage from previous ones of use stock or news footage.

Bay is just copying Woolie Reitherman!

But to be fair, Disney was almost bankrupt during those days, and it's not like they were stealing other people's animation. They did it, so they can use their previous work whatever way they want. It's not that different to rotoscopong from live action reference, actually. As a kid I loved spotting these; I always saw it more as a sort of easter egg than anything else.

Yeah, I believe that's what they did. I don't know the actual details on how they did it, but as far as I know in traditional animation pre-production and planning takes the most time and money out of the budget, so I guess that having these movements already planned and animated saved them a lot of time and therefore, money.

And also, in traditional animation (even in the cheaper 70's days) you got a set of animators, the lead animator who does the key drawings in rough forms, and then comes the in-betweener who does the drawings in between the keys the top animator did. And after that, comes the clean-up guy, who takes the sketch or rough drawings and polishes the line and adjusts the character model to fit whitin the model sheet. I imagine that when reusing old animation, they could hand it over to the least skilled animator and just having him draw the new character over the old one, following the same movements. So there you don't have to do in-betweens as everything is already planned for you.

At least that's how I've always viewed it.

He read his "As a director..." line before the Samsung guy asked the question it was supposed to be in response to, then instead of saying it again after the Samsung guy asked the question, he got flustered, and the teleprompter was bouncing around trying to figure out what to do, so he took off