Video games can never be art

More and more video games (and please stop referring them as computer games because they are not all played on the 'computer') are interactive storytelling experiences, with complex stories and rich mythology that rival books and film series.

Tell me how those are like board games ???

So there are video games that are like Dungeons and Dragons, or LOTR roleplaying.

I still don't see where the art is!

That's because you haven't played many video games.

Who is the Rembrand of video games? The Mozart?

Look at the way a Final Fantasy title is produced. It's like a movie.. there's storyboards, costume designs, character designs, environment design. Even the music is worshiped by some people . These things take years to complete

Just the cut scenes (the parts where you don't play) are pieces of art in themselves

If sports and games cannot be art, as many here say, then computer games cannot be art either.

I genuinely don't know if you're just trolling, but you keep ignoring the distinction between *playing* a game (which you may liken to sports) and the game itself, which is, technically mostly like (as in: made from similar individual parts as) a film.

Hey, don't diss board games. Modern board games can be quite sophisticated and well-designed.

They are computer GAMES!

So like chess, darts, cardgames etc

More and more video games (and please stop referring them as computer games because they are not all played on the 'computer') are interactive storytelling experiences, with complex stories and rich mythology that rival books and film series.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

Yeah we don't mean the "playing" part of the game. That's just skills.

Maybe Stefancos is only thinking about "arcade" style games, and not the complex story driven open world games

This is great actually. It's like disputing a point with a mini me version of Ebert, but without any of his grace, eloquence, sophistication, intelligence and wit. It's basically like trying to provide insight to a complete drooling nincompoop who licks the windows while riding the bus.

I've never seen someone readily throw themselves to the wolves before!

Wolves? Please dude. A bunch of whiny and nerdy gamers?

I still remain unconvinced that something interactive like a video game can be art.

What's your definition of art, sunshine?

This is great actually. It's like disputing a point with a mini me version of Ebert, but without any of his grace, eloquence, sophistication, intelligence and wit. It's basically like trying to provide insight to a complete drooling nincompoop who licks the windows while riding the bus.

I've never seen someone readily throw themselves to the wolves before!

321337-bert.jpg

The only games Stef has played are Tetris and Pacman. He knows what he's talking about!

I would argue that the minimalism and abstract concept of Tetris could potentially be considered art.

Engaging an activity is the fundamental reason we play games, and is the very soul of their art. Many games don’t tell any story at all. Some games eschew graphics almost entirely. But every single game creates an activity. Games allow me to participate in activities that are utterly unlike anything I could do in real life. There’s no analogue for Tetris in some other medium, without the art of games, that is an activity that could never be engaged in. Playing Tetris is like experiencing a gallery room full of abstract paintings, it’s like being in a modern architect’s building, it’s an artistically crafted experience that isn’t necessarily saying anything. But it is artifice with an aesthetic presentation that creates a meaningful and unique response in its audience. I don’t see how an open minded and self-critical person could claim that that it isn’t art.

http://www.culturecrisis.com/2013/08/18/video-games-and-the-nature-of-art/

The only games Stef has played are Tetris and Pacman. He knows what he's talking about!

I would argue that the minimalism and abstract concept of Tetris could potentially be considered art.

Those games are art, I'm simply pointing out how out of touch he is.

This notion that games are or aren't art is tedious. I don't really care if games are art. They don't have to be art for me to want them or enjoy them or want to invest my time and money in them. They are what they are. A cheeseburger can never be a filet mignon, but goddamn if that's what I sometimes want.

Nor have I seen the Mona Lisa, or listened to Verdi's Requim. But I know they are art!

That's because history and society has convinced you they are art.

Much the same way that most people are convinced there is a God, when no one actually has proof.

This notion that games are or aren't art is tedious. I don't really care if games are art. They don't have to be art for me to want them or enjoy them or want to invest my time and money in them. They are what they are. A cheeseburger can never be a filet mignon, but goddamn if that's what I sometimes want.

That is actually a very sensible.

Indeed gaming is an activity. Something one does for fun. Like competing in games or cycling, It's a pass time.

Some of you think I am taking the piss, but i really, genuinely don't see where the "art" side of it comes in.

In the design of some games? But chess is a simple but wonderfully designed game that has lasted for hundreds of year or longer now. It generally isnt considered a form of art.

Stefancos, come back to me when you've played a good few games. Until then, I can't take you seriously.

Marian, have you played Thomas Was Alone?

Stefancos, come back to me when you've played good few games. Until then, I can't take you seriously.

Quintus, come back to me when you've watched a few seasons of Doctor Who. Until then, I can't take you seriously.

What would you say to the millions of people out there who are by and large ignorant to the significance of film music, and to any number of them who might tell you they don't see what is so artistic about "music in the background"? What if they laughed at you for claiming Jerry Goldsmith showed great artistry in Star Trek TMP?

You would quietly dismiss them. That's what you would do. You wouldn't take their ignorance seriously.

Now do me a favour and sod off with your petty double standards ;)

Hmm, not sure Tetris is the right example, it's a pure skill game and the opposite of the ones I can think of

So?

Indeed gaming is an activity. Something one does for fun. Like competing in games or cycling, It's a pass time.

Some of you think I am taking the piss, but i really, genuinely don't see where the "art" side of it comes in.

In the design of some games? But chess is a simple but wonderfully designed game that has lasted for hundreds of year or longer now. It generally isnt considered a form of art.

Ok, you are just trolling. Either that, or you have me blocked and don't see my posts.

Marian, have you played Thomas Was Alone?

I'd never heard of it, but it sounds very interesting.