Video games can never be art

Obviously Stefancos started this as trolling thread since he's never played a videogame and seems to consider them a waste of time

Yep.

I'm split. A lot of hard work goes into creating the visuals for modern games. The illustrators and animators are the artists in the video game world.

On the other hand, when neckbeards refer to them as art, I can't help but to think that they're just trying to justify the fact that they're wasting their fucking lives away playing the things.

Sensible Person: "Hey, neckbeard, why don't you go to a fucking museum or a concert hall, instead of wasting your time shooting people in a video game?"

Neckbeard: "VIDEO GAMES ARE ART!"

As I said, there's a distinction to be made. I don't think video gaming as sport is art. Not up to now, anyway.

But played alone, in an intricately designed world? That's another story.

A great single player game world (and narrative) can be visionary art. I've experienced it, on occasion. There's nothing else like it.

How do great visuals in a game which you may consider art differ from excellent special effects in a movie. Since it is essentially the same technology these days, CGI.

Not trolling, genuinely curious.

And what is the first brilliant looking game?

If Journey isn't art, I don't know what is.

I know its visual style was strong artistically, but would you say the gameplay aesthetic itself was extraordinary and even profound?

Yes. It's one of my favorite gaming experiences. Euphoric.

I think it's a mistake to automatically attribute 'art' to visuals, including in games.

Indeed, level design is a whole other level of masterful manipulation. How do the developers create their worlds to draw your eye to a particular location? How do they influence the way you think and move? All fascinating stuff.

As I said, there's a distinction to be made. I don't think video gaming as sport is art. Not up to now, anyway.

But played alone, in an intricately designed world? That's another story.

A great single player game world (and narrative) can be visionary art. I've experienced it, on occasion. There's nothing else like it.

How do great visuals in a game which you may consider art differ from excellent special effects in a movie. Since it is essentially the same technology these days, CGI.

Not trolling, genuinely curious.

And what is the first brilliant looking game?

Hmm, could be misunderstanding you, but did you mistake my use of the word "visionary" to mean "visual" here?

oscar-robertson-cincinnati.jpg

"I believe basketball is an art. When the game is played as it should be played, you'll see athletes perform with precision, finesse, rhythm, flair, and grace." - Oscar Robertson

Is the sport art or was the photographer just really good at capturing the cool moments?

Sports aren't art, nor should it be their goal (see what I did there?) to be seen as such. Art is the attempt to relay a message, idea or feeling from its creator to his or her audience. Sports do not contend with art in this way.

I agree with the last two posters. Sports is nothing but war with referees. However, if you change the focus or goal, you could easily make art out of sports, I think.

I agree that sport isn't art. Never has been, never will be. Sport is only ever talent and technique.

There are also no geniuses playing sport.

I'm sure many of whoever you class as 'geniuses' will play sport.

Like Wayne Rooney.

I like Journey. I wish thatgamecompany could make games more oftenly but I guess most people don't like artsy projects. They just wanna kill in realistic conditions and environments. Sigh ...

Of course, nothing can beat:

original_zps098fd87f.jpg

Alex

It's not even an irrelevant question by the way, since copyright laws sometimes depend on a work belonging to a type of media officially classified as art for certain clauses.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I feel things like Grim Fandango aproach the level of art. And even if they aren't art per se, at least a game like that proves that the medium can aspire to something greater

I like Journey. I wish thatgamecompany could make games more oftenly but I guess most people don't like artsy projects. They just wanna kill in realistic conditions and environments. Sigh ...

I've just looked on their website and they have a new title in development ! :drool:

I'm not much of a gamer, but I feel things like Grim Fandango aproach the level of art. And even if they aren't art per se, at least a game like that proves that the medium can aspire to something greater

Isn't there a remake of that game underway, heard something about that during the E3 news bulletins. Never played Grim Fandango but I'm aware of its artistic achievements and that it has its fans.

I expect it's a technological remake, with identical content, like with the remastered Monkey Island versions.

Grim is the one game which I'm confident to call art. At the very least, if we can call Hollywood films art (not all of them, but certain ones), then we have to consider it for this game. The way the character, story (drawing influences from folklore and film noir, but bringing them together in its own unique way), visual design, music and storytelling (much more relevant in this respect than it is for film, because with games, telling an actual story is a much more dynamic and flexible process than with films) all work together to create one organic whole is remarkable. And what stays with you when you've finished it isn't the puzzles you've solved, but rather the world and the characters and their experiences.

I expect it's a technological remake, with identical content, like with the remastered Monkey Island versions.

Grim is the one game which I'm confident to call art. At the very least, if we can call Hollywood films art (not all of them, but certain ones), then we have to consider it for this game. The way the character, story (drawing influences from folklore and film noir, but bringing them together in its own unique way), visual design, music and storytelling (much more relevant in this respect than it is for film, because with games, telling an actual story is a much more dynamic and flexible process than with films) all work together to create one organic whole is remarkable. And what stays with you when you've finished it isn't the puzzles you've solved, but rather the world and the characters and their experiences.

Agree 100%.

The immersion alone is outstanding, and without resorting to any technological or sensorial gimmicks.

They are computer GAMES!

So like chess, darts, cardgames etc

More and more video games (and please stop referring them as computer games because they are not all played on the 'computer') are interactive storytelling experiences, with complex stories and rich mythology that rival books and film series.

Tell me how those are like board games ???

More and more video games (and please stop referring them as computer games because they are not all played on the 'computer') are interactive storytelling experiences, with complex stories and rich mythology that rival books and film series.

Tell me how those are like board games ???

So there are video games that are like Dungeons and Dragons, or LOTR roleplaying.

I still don't see where the art is!

Because that would be his seventh today and he's already very tender.

Stop checking my webcam is you dont like it!