Video games can never be art

I have not personally attacked anyone in this thread, yet have been insulted and belittled.

On the other hand, you've started a discussion you had no intention of having any objectivity about, and mostly ignored any comments challenging your (as far as we can tell, mostly unfounded) claims.

Of course that's what's happened. It's Steef!

To be fair, he did at least openly lay out his agenda early on in the thread (and in doing so singlehandedly undermined his whole objective and views, lolz), which is why I for one never once engaged with him on the matter in a serious or productive way.

I sometimes like to feed the trolls, but I only ever throw them peanuts (and just enough rope).

But the great Oscar Wilde is speaking for your case, Steef. Or have the personal attacks and the public pressure changed your mind?

You unwashed heathen bastard! You charlatan!

But the great Oscar Wilde is speaking for your case, Steef. Or have the personal attacks and the public pressure changed your mind?

Definitely the latter I reckon beyond doubt. I see he eventually joined the JWFan herd in response to his initially unfashionable love of Man of Steel! The sheep, BAAAAAAHHH

oscar-robertson-cincinnati.jpg

"I believe basketball is an art. When the game is played as it should be played, you'll see athletes perform with precision, finesse, rhythm, flair, and grace." - Oscar Robertson

I've long believed that baseball, particularly pitching, at it's best is performance art.

The point of basket ball is to beat the others. It's war without the killing. While running from the enemy, a soldier might do an acrobatic split while jumping over a fence but we wouldn't call it art. He just ran away to save his life and spread his legs in a flexible way.

Wait - is that photograph supposed to be the single strongest 'proof' of sport being art? Lol.

Putting a face to a name. Oscar Robertson wore #12 at the University of Cincinnati.

To suggest that gaming can *never* be art is to suggest a total is *always* less than the sum of its parts. A game may contain hand-drawn sketches and storyboards, orchestral music, A-list voice work, complex rendering and level design, among other artistic things.

Absolutes are simply childish tantrums.

To suggest that gaming can *never* be art is to suggest a total is *always* less than the sum of its parts. A game may contain hand-drawn sketches and storyboards, orchestral music, A-list voice work, complex rendering and level design, among other artistic things. Absolutes are simply childish tantrums.

The things you mention are artistic elements within the product. The game itself, by definition, will always have a hurdle to get over, or a mission to accomplish, or a task to complete. That's what a game is. This is completely different than what art is trying to accomplish.

Why?

If you add a kiosk mode to a game, where you can just watch it play itself in a store front, does that make it art, since the interactive element is removed?

I didn't say it had to be interactive. A game playing a game doesn't make the game any less of a game.. Like watching someone play checkers.

Another example of the devastating effects of video games! Thankfully not fatal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/year-shoots-injures-year-colorado-24843373

Police said the 9-year-old who first took the gun said he learned how to handle the weapon from video games.

Another example of the devastating effects of video games! Thankfully not fatal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/year-shoots-injures-year-colorado-24843373

Police said the 9-year-old who first took the gun said he learned how to handle the weapon from video games.

You know what, I should've been a mass murderer by now, sentenced for the chair, 10 times over, with all the violence and carnage and bloodshed I've caused / been through in video games.

But no, in the real world, I'm totally against violence.

And maybe, just maybe liberal gun laws may have something to do with that unfortunate accident...

The second American Civil War will begin when they really start to try to make that happen. And from Vietnam and the terror Wars, the revolutionaries know how to win.

The second American Civil War will begin when they really start to try to make that happen. And from Vietnam and the terror Wars, the revolutionaries know how to win.

Americans have become pacified and obedient to government rule. The bureaucrats are in charge now.

Political discussion is not allowed!

This.

Then don't bring up another anti-gun news article in a video game thread, idiot.

This this this this this.

No, it isn't. It simply says "Police said the 9-year-old who first took the gun said he learned how to handle the weapon from video games." No spin, no agenda. It's the news reporter's prose representation of what the police said the child told them, so we're getting a third level he said/she said memory. You are the individual who feels obligated to tie it to an agenda.

I'm actually surprised a child that young would attribute knowing how to "handle" a gun from a video game. Most of the common shooting video games use an object that bears no resemblance to a real gun: a gamepad.

gamepad_diagram.png

Now I'm no guns expert, having only shot at a groundhog and missed, but I don't really see where I load the bullets, fill the chamber, and fire the trigger on that. Maybe the family owns one of these, instead:

wii_zapper_3.jpg

That looks more convincing. If the child played with one of them, then maybe I would believe the video games taught him how to "handle" a gun. I have one of these Wii gadgets (the better version, actually, the Cabela's model) and it's pretty good at recreating what it's like to hold a gun. Not something you'd want to forget is in your hand when you walk into a bank.

But a gamepad? Gimme a break. Keyboard and mouse? Get real.

Video games teach people how to "handle" guns no more than hunting shows on cable TV or violent movies that show people using actual guns. Do video games desensitize people on the effects of their bullets? Sure, if these people are weak and can't tell right from wrong, real from fake, death from "insert another quarter to continue." So do books, so does TV, so do movies.