What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

He's a good (drama) actor but not too many directors want to give him a chance so he keeps on doing these clown parts.

Maybe he's simply not interested in drama roles and prefers to goof around?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah right!

Why doesnt he chose to produce drama?

The world wants him to be Adam Sandler. He's trapped in that clown corset.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Maybe he's simply not interested in drama roles and prefers to goof around?

p194002_p_v8_al.jpg

And written & directed by Apatow!

To be honest, it probably falls into the bittersweet category... sorta like an Alexander Payne movie.

1ddddcb6f91ce05fc5aea6245a8a7608.jpg

Alexander

Funny People is disappointing if you're expecting an Apatow comedy, and it ended up being more drama than comedy (like all his movies, really).  If you go into it knowing its a drama film with some funny parts maybe it would play better?

Saw Fate of the Furious.

Had never seen a movie in this franchise. I wasn't expecting much but I really liked it. I thought the action sequences were well filmed and pretty thrilling . They seemed within the realm of real physics which made them more believable than some action sequences in similar movies. It also had the right balance of humor and drama

Then I walked into Power Rangers. It was ok, not as terrible as the reviews say. I've seen worse superhero movies. the big fight at the end was the weakest point

Other movies I saw recently:

Ghost in the Shell: Looked great, boring story. My friend who watched the anime series liked it more than I did

LIFE: Pretty good alien knock off and some tense moments but the creature wasn't scary at all

King Kong Skull Island: Again the movie looked good but I just didn't get into the story and I didn't care for any of the characters .Most of the time it seemed all the actors were doing was reaction shots to stuff happening, especially Brie Larson

Logan: Quite good , but a bit too downbeat. It felt like Hugh Jackson was playing an alternate Wolverine character

Moonlight :I can see why this film won the Oscar for  "political reasons" and last years Oscar backlash, but It was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. 98% on RT but I think critics are too scared to shoot it down .Was it filmed with an iphone? Why the heck did that guy win best supporting actor?

John Wick 2 :Pretty good action film. Looking forward to Part 3

The Great Wall : Passable time waster .I kind of like these campy CGI movies

Manchester by the Sea. This movie should have won best picture

The Founder. Interesting but i wanted to learn more Mc Donalds secrets. and the chronology of events in the film wasn't well explained

Resident Evil:Final Chapter . It was better than I expected. I didn't see a couple of these films including the first one but they did a good job of re-capping the story

SPLIT . It was pretty good but the acting is a bit overrated in the reviews.

-Assassin's Creed. I played a few of the games so I thought it was fun. It was an alternate take on the story of the first and second game

-Passengers: A bit boring and it could have done less with the love story and  more Sci-fi. But Jennifer Lawrence looked great

That's it for 2017

I almost saw that today actually as the second movie but the timing wasn't right. I'd have to wait 45 minutes after Fate of the Furious and Power Rangers was starting right away.

yes, i pay for 1 ticket and usually watch 2 movies at the cineplex

oh and I didn't see LaLaLand and you'd have to pay me to see it

Beauty and the Beast would be strictly for Emma Watson, but she has this other movie coming out soon

The Lord of the Rings trilogy had recently completed its theatrical run and even though I loved Howard Shore's astounding scores, John Williams was still my favourite musician. Hence why I joined up at JWFan, under the handle of TheGreatEye (2005 was the year I first got online). 

10 hours ago, king mark said:

Saw Fate of the Furious.

Had never seen a movie in this franchise. I wasn't expecting much but I really liked it. I thought the action sequences were well filmed and pretty thrilling . They seemed within the realm of real physics which made them more believable than some action sequences in similar movies. It also had the right balance of humor and drama

Then I walked into Power Rangers. It was ok, not as terrible as the reviews say. I've seen worse superhero movies. the big fight at the end was the weakest point

Other movies I saw recently:

Ghost in the Shell: Looked great, boring story. My friend who watched the anime series liked it more than I did

LIFE: Pretty good alien knock off and some tense moments but the creature wasn't scary at all

King Kong Skull Island: Again the movie looked good but I just didn't get into the story and I didn't care for any of the characters .Most of the time it seemed all the actors were doing was reaction shots to stuff happening, especially Brie Larson

Logan: Quite good , but a bit too downbeat. It felt like Hugh Jackson was playing an alternate Wolverine character

Moonlight :I can see why this film won the Oscar for  "political reasons" and last years Oscar backlash, but It was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. 98% on RT but I think critics are too scared to shoot it down .Was it filmed with an iphone? Why the heck did that guy win best supporting actor?

John Wick 2 :Pretty good action film. Looking forward to Part 3

The Great Wall : Passable time waster .I kind of like these campy CGI movies

Manchester by the Sea. This movie should have won best picture

The Founder. Interesting but i wanted to learn more Mc Donalds secrets. and the chronology of events in the film wasn't well explained

Resident Evil:Final Chapter . It was better than I expected. I didn't see a couple of these films including the first one but they did a good job of re-capping the story

SPLIT . It was pretty good but the acting is a bit overrated in the reviews.

-Assassin's Creed. I played a few of the games so I thought it was fun. It was an alternate take on the story of the first and second game

-Passengers: A bit boring and it could have done less with the love story and  more Sci-fi. But Jennifer Lawrence looked great

That's it for 2017

Awesome post KM, thanks for finally contributing!

I saw the original two F&F films back in the 00s, but haven't seen a second of any since.  Supposedly the newer ones are practically a different genre than the original two so maybe I'd like them; Who knows.  How was Charlize Theron?

GITS - I will watch at home

Life - Looked dumb, good cast though...

Skull Island - Brie Larson's talents were completely wasted

Logan - Agreed that it was more of a downer than I was expecting, not really enough fun moments to make it rewatchable in my opinion

John Wick 2 - I hated the first, did you like the first one too?

Founder - REALLY want to see that one!

Passengers - I thought it was decent but overall kind of a waste of time.  And Pratt's character was kind of a creep.  I liked the robot though

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I saw the original two F&F films back in the 00s, but haven't seen a second of any since.  Supposedly the newer ones are practically a different genre than the original two so maybe I'd like them; Who knows.

The first 3 movies are basically street racing movies, the 4th one is more of an action movie (cop vs bad guys), all 4 are mostly "realistic" (with occasional over-the-top moments) and none of them are particularly good. I'd say the first two are the worst (especially 2). 3 and 4 are slightly better but still not anything I'd call good.

From 5 onwards, they turned into heist/action movies and started going more and more over-the-top with each new entry, and as a result, they ended up being more fun (the fact that they revolve around a team makes for better/funnier character interactions too, whereas in the first 4 movies, there was basically just a duo or trio of characters in each one). The 5th one is actually a pretty damn good movie! 6 is rather decent, too, and so is 7. I think you'd like those three films (you should still watch the first 4 if you plan on watching the following ones, though, as basically from 5 onwards, these are team-up movies reuniting all the characters introduced in the previous 4 movies, and you'll appreciate them more if you know the characters beforehand. Plus, there are things happening in the later films that are linked to what happened in the first 4 films).

Yea, I thought they got more over-the-top as the series went on, but KM says above that the 8th one "seemed within the realm of real physics which made them more believable than some action sequences in similar movies."?