What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps it's time you returned to something more interesting?

IMG_0202.JPG

Oh no, the budget X-Men!

Karol

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You're not. Many people (on this forum and elsewhere) liked it.

I just scrolled up to see recent posts but forgot it's been out for a week abroad.

Question, BB.  In general, are you someone who enjoys comedies?  Like just straight comedy films.

Thing with Guardians 2 is you can feel it 'straining to entertain' at times ... when baby Groot brings the wrong thing the first couple of times, it's funny. By the fifth or sixth, it's not even raising a smile. And that 'who's got tape?' thing during the climactic action was a drag too. 

I certainly don't think people who enjoy comedies will automatically like this movie, but I do know people who generally don't often enjoy films that are mostly meant to be comedic.

The film was just joyful, inviting, and charming for me from beginning to end and I had no issues with the pacing because I never once found myself thinking "Let's get on with it already."

I went to a Sneak Preview showing tonight (for those who don't know: it's when you buy a ticket and they don't tell you ahead of time what's playing - usually a film that isn't out for a few weeks).

I ended up seeing Kidnap.

So you don't have to.

Shallow, overscored to within an inch of its life and poorly directed from a lousy script. Stars Halle Berry, but she appears to be in this just to get a producer's credit. Avoid this movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2

Not anywhere near as good as the first one, but I still liked it. The problem I found was that it still tried to be a comedy, but the plot wasn't comedic enough itself. The "serious" nature of the plot didn't mesh well with the comedic tone. They should have just gone balls in with the comedy.

Guardians 2 may have been strained at times but I enjoyed all the running gags and how they all paid off in some way at the end, and despite Gunn's tendency to undercut most scenes with a "Just kidding!", I still felt more engaged with the characters than I have in any of the other MCU movies, including the first Guardians. So it's probably my favorite one so far.

Solid 7/10, a minor triumph when most of these things are as 5 as a 5 can be....

Oh and Tyler Bates's score was surprisingly not so bad. It was even listenable sometimes.

Btw, passing resemblance to Liar Liar at the beginning there? That's what it reminded me of, anyway. Something or other from Horner too, probably.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed. I'll see this, as a matter of course. The only way I won't see it, is if I'm dead, or I get waylaid by a gorgeous, bikini-wearing, blonde (well, I can dream, can't I? ;)).

CJ?

50 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I'll probably see it anyway.

Well, at least this is an improvement on saying you're not going to see it even though you have every intention of doing so. Progress! 

Tbh, even if everybody said this was awesome I'd still not bother to go and see it. Lost all interest in Scott's approach to the Alien fiction a while ago. This is another movie which will disappear into obscurity before the year's out. 

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Well, at least this is an improvement on saying you're not going to see it even though you have every intention of doing so. Progress! 

When did I say that?

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Tbh, even if everybody said this was awesome I'd still not bother to go and see it. Lost all interest in Scott's approach to the Alien fiction a while ago. This is another movie which will disappear into obscurity before the year's out. 

I won't take that long. I already forgot about it.

Karol

Just now, Godzilla said:

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated

"It doesn't matter who's wrong or right." should practically be the slogan of the JWFan forums.

14 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

If you're going to watch it expecting a good-looking film with dumb characters, a story with a few interesting ideas sprinkled here and there but ultimately rather boring, without any memorable and/or exciting moments, maybe you'll be fine with it. Maybe.

Well that's depressing :(

I'll go today ... there can't be anything in it as dumb as that bit in Prometheus where Charlize Theron forgets that the way to escape being crushed by a rolling spaceship is to run off to one side, out of its path.  

Can there? 

Well... How about a group of scientist landing on a planet they know absolutely nothing about without any protection. Like, you know, some protective suits or stuff you'd normally do if you know nothing about the flora, fauna or other bacteria in this environment. But no, they just take a stroll instantly, splitting into groups and doing all sort of dumb shit.

Karol