What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe WB didn't want JL to look stylized, even less so that BvS. Maybe this is Zack Snyder giving WB a 'normal' looking movie? :huh:

BTW, is it the first green-teal movie that you think looks alright, Drax?

It mostly looks like some kind of green to me. But have it your way, Drax, is this the first grey and some orange teal movie where you say: Hey, this actually looks alright!!

For the record, I don't have a problem with green-teal movies. It's certainly not the reason why I think JL promises to be one of the worst looking movies in history. 

1 minute ago, Godzilla said:

Worse looking than:

Independence Day: Resurgence?

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem?

AvP: Requiem is probably the worst looking movie ever but JL has a good chance of getting close to it. I haven't seen Independence Day: Resurgence.  

5 hours ago, KK said:

Yes. Great film.

"Silence" is one of the most unbearable movies I've ever seen which is rated 12 in Germany! It's use of absolute silence throughout is such a unique stylistic mean. The redundance ( which was one of the aspects people complaint about) of the torture scenes just intensifies the effect of helplessness and despair. Nevertheless it is so nuanced and not polarizing at all. I was so impressed when the end credits set in and couldn't speak.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Agreed. It's the emotional and intellectual content that's more important than how a film looks, or its SFX.

It would appear that a lot of film makers, these days, are forgetting the most important part of a film.

I think how the content looks is equally if not more important. If Alien or Blade Runner didn't look the part, or if they looked like AvP: Requiem, those films would not have been what they are today. It's what Quint never understood and now it seems you don't either, Richard. It's what makes JWfan such a charming place.

JL will never be an Alien or Blade Runner anyway and I think you're exaggerating how bad you think it looks. Sounds more like an emotional reaction informed by your brief love affair with the director's earlier films.

Firstly, look at Ridley Scott without a good script. Then look at the visually unremarkable Billy Wilder comedies, or Neil Simon adaptations; look at countless other rather ordinary looking movies which have superb, legendary scripts. A lot of beloved and iconic movies to choose from, one could fire their names off with ease. Network, Glengarry Glen Ross, American Werewolf in London, Jaws. Now try to think about the visually extraordinary movies which were unfortunately sent out to die with their mediocre or plain bad scripts... it's much more difficult isn't it. The truth is nobody remembers striking visuals over a good story and engaging dialogue apart from Alexcremers. He thinks that's what normal is. That's because the real standout person here who has never understood has always been Alexcremers. This argument goes waaaaay back here.

I was just trying to recall the name of an impressive looking movie which came out quite recently actually, but I just couldn't remember its title. Had to google the setting and themes to find it: 'A Cure for Wellness'. Well, it seems to have vanished into obscurity. Pity, because it was praised for its strong visual style, "but it's wasted on a derivative and predictable story whose twists, turns, and frights have all been more effectively dealt before." Sounds familiar. 

Another overlooked thing is editing. Even the best script won't save a badly edited scene. And many famous scenes were drastically altered in editorial. Like, the infamous interrogation in Basic Instinct.

Karol

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

I might argue that 'The Apartment' has quite a few striking images to its credit:

apartment-3.jpg

Which even inspired Welles' The Trial:

hqdefault.jpg

1853b1b288b87b21a43bcaf0860fad26.jpg

2 hours ago, publicist said:

I might argue that 'The Apartment' has quite a few striking images to its credit:

apartment-3.jpg

Good point well made this, but The Apartment is fondly remembered for its apartment scenes. Photography wise they're practical more than anything else. 

Also, I agree with Karol about editing. It's crucial to me actually and it's something I think about quite a lot. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I think how the content looks is equally if not more important. If Alien or Blade Runner didn't look the part, or if they looked like AvP: Requiem, those films would not have been what they are today. It's what Quint never understood and now it seems you don't either, Richard. It's what makes JWfan such a charming place.

Dear Alex. Dear, dear Alex. My friend, of course I understand the importance of the technicial aspects of a film. Sometimes the technical aspects are (sadly) the only contents of a film that it's worth paying any attention to.

I do, however, agree with Lee; an engaging story which is well told, can eschew weaker aspects of a film.

Case in point: ST:III. I love it, but it's visual style is flat and unengaging. No matter, because I like the story.

Of course, this is just my opinion of one film. 

Film is, primarily, a visual medium; one is telling a story with images, but these images mean little, if they do not enhance the story, if they don't mean something. There's no point in having a film that engages people's eyes, if their minds and hearts aren't invited along for the ride.

Modern cinema ignores, constantly, the most important aspect of a film.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

surely there's no need anymore to bookend your contributions with "in my opinion". We all know how it works by now. 

Thank you someone else sees the redundancy of that tired old "in my opinion" disclaimer. I'm so sick of hearing it and being blasted for not using it.

Thinking about The Apartment again just now, I couldn't help but compare it Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, which takes place in a similar setting. Except I think that film is visually striking throughout, and in a way which The Apartment's apartment scenes just aren't. But it doesn't really matter either way - when all you really remember about both films is the dialogue and the characters. 

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

We're all friends here Richard, surely there's no need anymore to bookend your contributions with "in my opinion". We all know how it works by now. 

I was merely trying to be respectful. I believe in owning my feelings, and I dislike, strongly, those who say

"everybody knows", or "it's common knowledge", etc.

I do, however, concede that there are alternate ways to state "IMHO", and I will attempt to engage these.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Dear Alex. Dear, dear Alex. My friend, of course I understand the importance of the technicial aspects of a film. Sometimes the technical aspects are (sadly) the only contents of a film that it's worth paying any attention to.

I do, however, agree with Lee; an engaging story which is well told, can eschew weaker aspects of a film.

Case in point: ST:III. I love it, but it's visual style is flat and unengaging. No matter, because I like the story.

Of course, this is just my opinion of one film. 

Film is, primarily, a visual medium; one is telling a story with images, but these images mean little, if they do not enhance the story, if they don't mean something. There's no point in having a film that engages people's eyes, if their minds and hearts aren't invited along for the ride.

Modern cinema ignores, constantly, the most important aspect of a film.

Dear Richard, my old friend, I'm not talking about the technical side of things either but the artistic aspect. JL might be a technical marvel but its artistic presentation is butt ugly. And yes, that is solely "in my opinion", nobody else seems to have a problem with it. 

Alex

JL? Only the trailer is released, Richard.

The Engineer Mountains are okay, I guess (hard to screw up beautiful mountains of course) but everything after that ... :huh:

Alex seems obsessed in this thread with proving how bad Justice League looks. I think he's gonna be the one first in line. Not to see it, of course, but to tell everyone else waiting just how bad it'll be. 

On 2017-6-9 at 2:34 AM, Sally Spectra said:

At least the Fox presenters are lively and animated, the topics discussed are interesting, the news itself is exciting, etc.

Because that is the point of news...