What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Agreed about the final bit being overblown, but that midfilm battle though, it's one of the best action sequences of the last few years.

Definitely. Even with the super slowmo. It was as grounded as a fight involving a super hero could be. It's a bit of a pity that they got carried away for the end battle. I really liked the way they were able to tie in the reality and greyness of WWI in with the message of the film. You couldn't do that with WWII because the good guys and bad guys are so clearly definied. The first is much greyer. Excellent story decision. 

is the WW theme actually Robert Plant's Immigrant Song snarl played by an angle grinder? Because that's what it sounds like. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Does Wonder Woman's finale action sequence involve spaceships?  

What are you talking about? Spaceships? Talking monkeys? That's Saturday morning serials. Get out of here.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Develop!

Wonder Woman is just really unremarkable. The best thing I can say about it is that the film is probably better than the previous 3 DC movies. It is directed with more confidence, the story actually feels like it has some structure, some action scenes are decent. But then, it doesn't seem to matter all that much. Is Gal Gadot a good Wonder Woman? Yeah, she's fine. It's all about the material suiting her abilities rather than her giving a good performance.

The film itself is more old-fashioned and straightforward, which is probably a good thing, but it goes to the point of cliche. Ultimately, Wonder Woman is just a mash-up of Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor. But longer. So essentially it's a impossibly good and selfless "fish out of the water" who also needs to "learn an important lesson" about the real world before the find out about the "true nature of heroism". Funnily enough, just as it seems she will finally get somewhere...it just doesn't play out as well as expected. Or, to be even more specific, it plays out exactly as expected.

Wonder Woman ultimately doesn't even really ever save anyone. Not really. Even when she seems to, it doesn't matter as she isn’t even the hero of this film. Her own quest is just somewhat tied to the salvation of human race, something she proclaims to care so much about. She is merely a child who doesn't understand anything about anything and that became bit annoying to me at certain point. Intellectually, the viewer is always miles ahead of her and that doesn't seem to change much when the credits start rolling. Also, I think that finding about the transformative and unbeatable power of love through...merely having a boyfriend... is not so progressive and flattering to women after all. Especially when set against a backdrop of the ridiculous World War I carnage and wastefulness. Just doesn't feel right.

Karol

A lot of well made points which I agree with. 

I do think the film was more more enjoyable than you let on though.

I think it's a solid 3/5 blockbuster. Some of the reviewers are getting carried away though. As reviewers tend to do. 

50 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Also, I think that finding about the transformative and unbeatable power of love through...merely having a boyfriend... is not so progressive and flattering to women after all.

Wait, they made her with no experience relative to that at all before meeting Trevor?

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Wonder Woman is just really unremarkable. The best thing I can say about it is that the film is probably better than the previous 3 DC movies. It is directed with more confidence, the story actually feels like it has some structure, some action scenes are decent. But then, it doesn't seem to matter all that much. Is Gal Gadot a good Wonder Woman? Yeah, she's fine. It's all about the material suiting her abilities rather than her giving a good performance.

The film itself is more old-fashioned and straightforward, which is probably a good thing, but it goes to the point of cliche. Ultimately, Wonder Woman is just a mash-up of Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor. But longer. So essentially it's a impossibly good and selfless "fish out of the water" who also needs to "learn an important lesson" about the real world before the find out about the "true nature of heroism". Funnily enough, just as it seems she will finally get somewhere...it just doesn't play out as well as expected. Or, to be even more specific, it plays out exactly as expected.

Wonder Woman ultimately doesn't even really ever save anyone. Not really. Even when she seems to, it doesn't matter as she isn’t even the hero of this film. Her own quest is just somewhat tied to the salvation of human race, something she proclaims to care so much about. She is merely a child who doesn't understand anything about anything and that became bit annoying to me at certain point. Intellectually, the viewer is always miles ahead of her and that doesn't seem to change much when the credits start rolling. Also, I think that finding about the transformative and unbeatable power of love through...merely having a boyfriend... is not so progressive and flattering to women after all. Especially when set against a backdrop of the ridiculous World War I carnage and wastefulness. Just doesn't feel right.

Karol

I agree with a lot of this, but just really liked it.  It's all standard-issue, Screenwriting 101, Joseph Campbell shit, which is fine.  I half-expected her to break out into a song from Moana in the opening part on the island.  It's all in the execution!  It was well-paced with very enjoyable lead performances from Gadot and Pine.  Like seriously, Gadot embodies Wonder Woman just as much as Christopher Reeve embodied Superman all those years ago.  She might have a hard time being taken seriously in other roles, much like Reeve.

Also, it was not "merely having a boyfriend."  It was witnessing his sacrifice, the goodness that existed in him, that showed her the power of love and the capacity for good in all humans.  It showed her that humans are worth protecting, as he was willing to put everything on the line to protect others.  I'm not saying it 100% worked, but I think you're being inaccurate and reductive in summarizing it that way.

15 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It's like a less boring version of the first Captain America film. 

Captain America 1?  Boring?

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Wonder Woman ultimately doesn't even really ever save anyone. Not really. Even when she seems to, it doesn't matter as she isn’t even the hero of this film.

What?  Is this true?

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

I think that finding about the transformative and unbeatable power of love through...merely having a boyfriend... is not so progressive and flattering to women after all. Especially when set against a backdrop of the ridiculous World War I carnage and wastefulness. Just doesn't feel right.

Oh my, that sounds terrible.

59 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, it was not "merely having a boyfriend."  It was witnessing his sacrifice, the goodness that existed in him, that showed her the power of love and the capacity for good in all humans.  It showed her that humans are worth protecting, as he was willing to put everything on the line to protect others.  I'm not saying it 100% worked, but I think you're being inaccurate and reductive in summarizing it that way.

Oh, well that makes more sense.  It's been done a million times before (ie The Fifth Element), but makes more sense than what Karol said.

57 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

How do you pronounce Gadot? Is it like "dot" or how you'd say Brigitte Bardot?

Listen to her say her own name here:

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Captain America 1?  Boring?

Oh God yeah. 

Captain America is a pretty boring character in general.

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's my favorite MCU character.

Well there isn't really much on offer. It's either him or Iron Man. 

25 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

The first one is weird how they always try to keep the swats sticker out of view or veiled in artificial darkness. What the hell is with that?

I never noticed anything like that

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never noticed anything like that

Pay attention next time you watch it. Whenever actual Nazis are on screen (not Hydra agents), the filmmakers seem to go to some effort to conceal any Nazi iconography like armbands etc., whether by Austin Powersing it or shrouding it in darkness. And it's awkwardly done.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Spoiler

I get what you're saying and the film might indeed make this point (very clumsily).But the fact all the the misery and suffering Diana encounters along the way doesn't seem to be a motivation strong enough I find to be quite telling. Plus I don't think that her and Trevor having sex earlier in the film helps the matters any. Makes the resolution seem really cheap. Just doesn't come off as genuine to me. I didn't feel anything at the end.

Karol

I JUST SAW THE MOVIE

SHE PICKED UP A TANK AND THREW IT

OH MY YES

VERY YES

So, yeah, I'm staying out of this discussion, thanks.

Movie made me happy. 

This was the very first superhero movie I've ever bothered to pay money to see in a theatre.

The score actually served the movie quite splendidly, even if the desire to buy a CD ain't strong. 

Wonder Woman - 8 / 10 - it kicked some real ass. Aside from a typical CBM epic dark climax, there was a lot to like about it, the action sequences were great and Pine and Gadot had some really great chemistry too. Thumbs up to DC and WB for doing something right for a change!

The Mummy

Yes, I saw this. So you don't have to. The zero G stunt is impressive, but it's been used to advertise the movie everywhere you go, so there's a good chance you've seen it already. Other than that, the movie is a fucking train wreck. Avoid.

8 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The Mummy

Yes, I saw this. So you don't have to. The zero G stunt is impressive, but it's been used to advertise the movie everywhere you go, so there's a good chance you've seen it already. Other than that, the movie is a fucking train wreck. Avoid.

No need to help me, Breathy, I saw the trailer.

In A World - 7.5 / 10

On 6/6/2017 at 10:25 PM, Godzilla said:

Will WW make more money than BVS, I wonder?

I doubt it, it'll have much better legs though. 

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

You might like them a bit thicker like Meghan McCain?

That name doesn't ring any bells. I'm just not a fan of the anorexic look.