What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can someone explain to me what was happening at the end of the movie then, or would it spoil the sequel for others here?

You are ready for the sequel?!

Note the part where I said others here.

Any movie is vulnerable to plot holes. Seek and you will find. However, that's not how I want to watch movies.

Nolan movies are a special case, because they ask you to be 100% attentive to what's going on to understand anything

I don't usually care either. But there is one soo big, once its pointed out to you atleast, that it really takes the film down a notch. Because it's the kind of plot error that ruins the foundation of the films story.

For a film that preposes to be as accurate as possible its almost unforgivable actually...

I don't know if i can watch it in the same way ever again. :(

Any movie is vulnerable to plot holes. Seek and you will find. However, that's not how I want to watch movies.

Nolan movies are a special case, because they want you to be 100% attentive to what's going on to understand anything

And as long as you are, you realize how there are no plot holes!

Nolan movies are a special case, because they ask you to be 100% attentive to what's going on to understand anything

Yes, that's true.

I don't usually care either. But there is one soo big, once its pointed out to you atleast, that it really takes the film down a notch. Because it's the kind of plot error that ruins the foundation of the films story.

For a film that preposes to be as accurate as possible its almost unforgivable actually...

I don't know if i can watch it in the same way ever again. :(

Keep fishing!

Oh you're serious? God knows we don't need more of that talk polluting the board, PM me or something!

Nolan movies are a special case, because they want you to be 100% attentive to what's going on to understand anything

Everything in Prometheus can be explained by fan theories on the Internet too...

Everything in Prometheus can be explained by fan theories on the Internet too...

That film *needs* fan theories to even be remotely intelligible though.

I guess if you're that type of moviegoer. As Alex said, I don't want to be one of those. JWFan forced me last year.

A good remedy for being a fiction plot hole fetishist is to examine your own life. You will find that there are plot holes.

What plot hole?

The biggest one that I can't wrap my head around is the foundation of Hans' grand plan. He waits for the FBI to cut the power to the building so that the vault would open. But what if the FBI never showed up? The FBI's presence hinges on the fact that McClaine called the police, and Hans never anticipated that McClaine would be in the building to cause trouble. Unless Hans planned to call the FBI himself? Why couldn't the terrorists just cut the power to the building themselves?

Also the other dumb thing is Hans' line "if you steal $600 million, they will find you unless they think you're already dead". Obviously Hans planned on fleeing with the money in the ambulance, therefore the authorities would have instantly known that the terrorists were alive and would have tracked them down.

Joel Silver action films often have plot holes.

Lethal Weapon 2 is stupid. Since there no way a South African consulate (which has far less diplomatic importance then a embassy) could run a drug empire simply because of diplomatic immunity.

The US would simply have them sent back.

What plot hole?

The biggest one that I can't wrap my head around is the foundation of Hans' grand plan. He waits for the FBI to cut the power to the building so that the vault would open. But what if the FBI never showed up? The FBI's presence hinges on the fact that McClaine called the police, and Hans never anticipated that McClaine would be in the building to cause trouble. Unless Hans planned to call the FBI himself? Why couldn't the terrorists just cut the power to the building themselves?

Also the other dumb thing is Hans' line "if you steal $600 million, they will find you unless they think you're already dead". Obviously Hans planned on fleeing with the money in the ambulance, therefore the authorities would have instantly known that the terrorists were alive and would have tracked them down.

I'm sure the same argument could be levelled at the likes of Skyfall, where Silva's plan depends on everything happening EXACTLY as he has anticipated. Doesn't stop it being one of the Bond franchise's very best entries (or Die Hard being brilliant, for that matter).

Why didn't McClaine just take the stairs down to the car park and meet Argyle and use his cell phone?

When he got the detonators, why didn't he just hide in some elusive spot in the building? See, McClaine is an attention seeker. Instead of being stealthy, he just had to be a cowboy. He did more damage by acting as bravado as he did. He really is the antagonist in this movie!

Nah, you're a bond apologist, we know that. The perfectly convenient denotation on the London underground is one of the biggest bullshit moments I've ever seen in movies full stop. I've packed in tv shows for less bs than that.

The Maze Runner:

mazerunnerimage-720x509_zps0acf56a0.jpg

I don't understand the fairly positive praise the film has received. If you are 10 years old and it's your first film (after being brought up by Nickelodeon and Disney for 10 years) then maybe The Maze Runner might impress. Shallow, cliched, and very improbable. 4/10

Alex

I read the book a long time ago, and found it very formulaic, predictable and boring. So this rating sounds about right.

Nah, you're a bond apologist, we know that. The perfectly convenient denotation on the London underground is one of the biggest bullshit moments I've ever seen in movies full stop. I've packed in tv shows for less bs than that.

What's denotation?

I'm not disagreeing. But for some reason this film was scrutinized far more when it comes to it's plot then any other Bond film. Like suddenly Moonraker, You Only Live Twice, Octopussy and even Goldeneye were perfectly plotted and plausible stories.

Bond films have always had preposterous and convenient plot contrivances, Skyfall is no different

It's not really "for some reason" though.I distinctly remember the reaction to Skyfall was a case of Ooo look how unusually sophisticated it is, fawn fawn.

The train station detonation when Bond is in pursuit of the baddie i meant.

Yeah that scene is pretty weird. The baddie having explosions in place just in case 007 catches up with him on that moment, so he can create a diversion.

Also pretty weird to blow up a subway line right under the place you are staging your assassination. Because you obviously wanna lure as much police to the scene as possible....

Silva's plan really doesnt hold up to intense scrutiny. And I guess the more sophisticated tone that Skyfall does have makes people pay closer attention to plot contrivances.

Werent you the one that hatede the film because in a few shots on top of the train you suspected they replaced a stuntman's face with Craigs via CGI? I dont recall

They definitely scanned Craig's face over the stuntman's during parts of the motorbike chase. Personally, I wish the technology to do it had existed in the time of the later Moore films - the lack of even a passing resemblance to him of some of the stunt perfomers in the likes of Octopussy and AVTAK is all too noticeable.

It's essentially no different that shooting a exciting stunt scene on location with highly trained stunt people and occasionally inserting a shot of Connery, Lazenby or Moore taken in Pinewood studio's with an unconvincing bit of back projection.

Some of that really takes you out of the movie.

Werent you the one that hatede the film because in a few shots on top of the train you suspected they replaced a stuntman's face with Craigs via CGI? I dont recall

I enjoyed it, which was good because I went out my way to see it (at the cinema). But yeah, I also had my criticisms of certain aspects, the weird Daniel Craig cgi included.

It's essentially no different that shooting a exciting stunt scene on location with highly trained stunt people and occasionally inserting a shot of Connery, Lazenby or Moore taken in Pinewood studio's with an unconvincing bit of back projection.

Some of that really takes you out of the movie.

Seeing Dalton throw himself into the stuntwork was refreshing. A lot of what he does during the LTK tanker-truck chase in particular looks genuinely dangerous.