Indy DVDs

Ricard

From The Digital Bits:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

This would normally be posted in The Rumor Mill, so take it with an appropriate grain of salt. That said, we've got a look for you this morning at what we believe is Paramount's tentative DVD cover artwork for the Indiana Jones Trilogy. We have pretty good information that this set is coming late in 2003. The art below was allegedly scanned from Paramount's European 2003 DVD promo sheet to retailers (it comes to us via DVDDOO.dk  - a retail site based in Denmark, which apparently obtained it from studio reps in Europe). We're waiting for official confirmation from Paramount, but we do believe that this is the real deal. Keep in mind, this art is very tentative... just a mock-up for the retail sell-sheets. We expect the final package design to be pretty special. But this does seem to support what we've been hearing from a LOT of sources, which is that the films are coming to DVD before the year is out. And if the text on the discs is accurate, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles may be coming to DVD as well.

Click on the link for a larger version of the scan

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ind...ndydvdscan.html

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil is going to have a heart attack when he sees that horrid picture.

Joe, who would buy it anyway, but knows that the true title is Star Wars, err, Raiders of the Lost Ark. :mrgreen:

Does anyone know why the title to Raiders was changed? Did they think that people thought Raiders was not a part of Indiana Jones or something? Or just for the sake of all the movies having similar titles?

I believe it was changed for when someone is looking at a movie store for the Indy movies. Temple of Doom and Last Crusade are together, but Raiders is far away, so I guess people are too lazy to go to the R section to pick out Raiders. With the title changed to Indy and the Raiders, all three movies are in the same location, so no one has to do any more work to find them all.

~Harry :mrgreen:

I'm sure these are just mock ups. They are essentially the VHS covers spruced up to look like DVD's.

I'm also sure I'll be able to get alternate artwork when these are released that more accurately reflect the films title.

Neil

I worked at a video store when all the Raiders of the Lost Ark titles were changed. Believe me, there were lots of people who were too lazy to walk the extra three feet to the R part of the Action section.

I would expect these to be fake as well. The DVDs are bound to have new artwork.

Jeff -- who will probably watch "Temple of Doom" first, not because it's technically the first one, but because it's the best one

Jeff -- who will probably watch "Temple of Doom" first, not because it's technically the first one, but because it's the best one

Amen to that!

I agree: those covers are just fake (I am amazed, having read this topic in many forums, how people believes it's actually the future cover of the trilogy).

It's nothing confirmed yet, but all the rumors point to a trilogy release, together -not separately (as Spielberg wanted) and one per year.

This could make the DVD editions be worse, as they might not be 2 DVD sets for each movie :|

:mrgreen:

Does anyone know why the title to Raiders was changed?  Did they think that people thought Raiders was not a part of Indiana Jones or something?  Or just for the sake of all the movies having similar titles?

Notice the "chapter" numbers as well. The whole deal here is really to get people to buy the Young Indy series and to make it more obvious that Raiders is a part of that whole scene.

Remember a few years back when they had those "fake Indy DVD" promos. That even promised a commentary track featuring George Lucas and Harrison Ford together.

:mrgreen:

As if that would actually happen. I don't think those two could stand to be in a room together for more than 5 minutes.

Hmmm...i prefer the Indiana Jones & The Raiders Of The Lost Ark title, makes a lot more sense.

Stefancos-  :mrgreen:

Well Morn!!! :angry:

I'm a big Harrison Ford fan, but could anyone stay awake listening to this guy speak for about 5 minutes let alone the entire course of a 2 hour movie?

If these films do have commentaries, I hope that they are edited together from various interviews with several participants (Spielberg, Lucas, Ford, Williams, Kasdan).

Neil

I'm not too familiar with commentaries on DVDs. The only commentary I've seen is the one on the Ghostbusters DVD, where most of the movie is playing, and at the bottom are shadows of Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, and another guy. They talk through the movie and comment and joke about certain things. Is this what you all are talking about for Indy?

~Harry

No, Harry. The "Ghostbusters" commentary is very unusual. About 99 percent of commentaries are voices of people talking about the movie offscreen. What they do is sit in a small room and watch the movie, then record their thoughts while watching. You never see the people who are commenting.

There isn't one commentary out there that stands out for me. I'm still waiting for Williams to make a track abou this music.

Jeff -- who hopes Williams participates in the "Star Wars" commentaries

I still think that if they had to change title it should be Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark.... (please do not make a discussion on this, we already had)

I just hope that they do not have the 'chapter' thing, since i could not afford the whole Young Indy series.

I tink that eventually i'll buy the tetralogy (if they make more movies, i'll wait, then)

The artwork is fake

You're stuck in 1981! :roll: It's quite frankly silly to have a trilogy with inconsistant titles.

None of the James Bond movies have a common name.

Another example would be Romancing the Stone and The Jewel of the Nile. In the US (not sure about other places) Army of Darkness was the title of the third Evil Dead movie. There is no "Alien II", just Aliens. Even today, Gods and Generals is being released. It's a prequel to Gettysburg, yet they have different names.

What very small point were you trying to prove?

Neil

The Alien series is very unusual in those regards anway. They don't have numbered titles (it's even Alien³ ("cubed") instead of Alien 3), different directors, different composers, different styles etc.

About the Bonds...this does make it a bit difficult to find them in shelves. Still, that's no good reason to change the titles IMHO.

I still agree with Morn somewhat though: Since the other two movies are both called "Indiana Jones and", it IS a bit weird that the first has a title that doesn't fit that pattern. If they were simply called The Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade (perhaps subtitled "An Indiana Jones Adventure"), things would be different. So I kinda see their point.

Marian - who still doesn't like the new title though.

Another example would be Romancing the Stone and The Jewel of the Nile. In the US (not sure about other places) Army of Darkness was the title of the third Evil Dead movie. There is no "Alien II", just Aliens. Even today, Gods and Generals is being released. It's a prequel to Gettysburg, yet they have different names.

Indy is much more serialised :) And I second Marian's point.

The Indiana Jones films are not serialized. They are all separate stand-alone adventures. The Evil Dead films or the Alien films are serialized. Each of those films picks up exactly where the last one left off.

Neil

You're stuck in 1981! :roll: It's quite frankly silly to have a trilogy with inconsistant titles.

That's a completely ridiculous comment. Please think before posting.

And there's NO REASON *WHATSOEVER* why Raiders of the Lost Ark should change its title to Indiana Jones and... whatever.

That's a completely ridiculous comment. Please think before posting.

I love Ricard! He can post what I'm thinking without fear of being banned or warned. :)

Neil

put me down as another who prefers the name change for consistancy sake. but i can't stand those chapter numbers!

i've never heard of the young indiana jones movies (tv show?) before this, are they any good?

but whatever they are, i would like them to be destinguished from the three movies, because, i believe, they are two entirely separate things.

put me down as another who prefers the name change for consistancy sake.

banghead

i've never heard of the young indiana jones movies (tv show?) before this, are they any good?

How old are you? :)

i'm 17, and that is probably why i haven't heard of this series.

it is a tv series right? are they good? are they like indiana jones, the movies, or are they like with kids just running around saving the day sort of thing? i'm kind of interested.

i also didn't grow up with the indiana jones movies, so i don't necessarily hold the titles dear to my heart or anything, but why didn't they name the first movie "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark" in the first place?

i also wouldn't mind if they took away "indiana jones and the..." from the other two movies. it's just kind of weird having the series being inconsistent when you didn't grow up with going to the theater to see them when they came out.

why didn't they name the first movie "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark" in the first place?

Simply because the title Raiders of the Lost Ark makes much more sense. Indy is one of the raiders, but the new title makes him sound like he's a separate entity.

Neil

The indy movies work more like a TV series than your usual movie triology. Besides I think trilogy title and movie title is much cleaner and fitting for the type of movie it is.

Traditionalists.... :roll:

Just release both versions of the titles. I mean come on it's like Widescreen and full screen. It doesn't matter what you say the original version is just better. :)

Justin

Is it possible that the Indiana Jones DVDs will contain isolated scores? If this path is not taken, I hope they make available the trilogy of COMPLETE scores on DVD-Audio and/or SACD (as well as CD).

If the music industry wanted to boost the popularity and exposure of the new, higher-sound-quality disc formats, they could release the IJ scores on DVD-A or SACD only. The discs, however, could be made to play on our current disc players - but also give the public an incentive to purchase new, superior equipment. The DVD-A's of the full IJ scores could have Dolby Digital/DTS layer in addition to the Advanced Resolution multichannel. If they were released in the SACD format, a CD layer would be provided, of course. (These backwards compatible hybrid discs are a given on all current DVD-As and most SACDs.) For those of us that don't have the player to hear the new formats in their best form, we could look forward to hearing these masterpiece scores in better quality - without having to buy another disc.

I currently have a DVD-Audio player and feel that the Indiana Jones scores should see DVD-A treatment. These discs (unlike SACD) could support video extras including slideshows, behind-the-scenes footage of recording sessions, and interviews. They could put this stuff on the DVD movie disc(s), but DVD-A would do the films' music justice.

To make the long wait for the official, complete releases of the IJ scores worth it, the record labels should do what I described above! I see no reason for them not to. The people who are planning on buying the expanded soundtracks will not be put off by having to shell out a few more bucks for extra good stuff on the discs. Plain CDs are ok, but think about what the future holds for music! Believe me, DVD-A and SACD blow away CD.

As you can see, I'm very passionate about this topic.

As for the Raiders titling issue, I'm indifferent. There are advantages and disadvantages to all three ways to name the movie. I rarely find my self saying the full title of any of the three films. It's either Raiders, Temple of Doom, or Last Crusade. I'll go along with whatever is ultimately decided, but will always know the original IJ film as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Hey I don't care if the title of the first film is "Indiana Jones Runs From Big Boulder and Other Stuff" provided I get my friggin DVD!!!

Come on Lucasfilm damn you!!!!1

BTW Justin where is your Indy Avatar??

Dr. Jones has become very upset these past few weeks since you switched.

Alright, well the "ad" is now officially bullshit.

From DVDfile:

In other Paramount news, you may have heard word on an overseas release of The Indiana Jones Trilogy debuting this November. Seems an advertisement for the Trilogy began to circulate on the web the past few days, but according to Paramount Home Entertainment head of publicity, this mock ad is "a fake." While Steven Spielberg has made some public comments recently regarding fourth quarter release for one of the most anticipated DVD releases of all time, there is still no official release date released as of yet. Of course, stay tuned...

Nah, it ain't all in the bin, they're definitely coming, all's that's official is that the advertisement was bogus.

Hmm....kinda like what I said to begin with.....I'm Kevin Skinner, Trivial Psychic!

Well If were ever going to get expanded scores of the trilogy,it has to be this year with the DVD's because after there won't be any better reason to release them than the last 20 years.

K.M.Who wants the scores more than the DVD'S