The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

Incanus

was it me or did they remove the "you havent changed a day?" line"

Yeah it was not there I think.

Like AUJ it's nice to see Holm, but he looks nothing like the Bilbo in FOTR

Age has finally caught up with him. ;)

If you think about it, the film really has a rather downbeat ending. Bilbo lies to the wizard, loses all his belongings and becomes ensnared by the One.

But this is not the end! The end of the story is ROTK!

Note that the words "The End" do not appear at, well, the end of BOFA, unlike in ROTK, where they did appear!

Good point! Story continues still.

I try to limit the amount of thinking I do yes. Especially when writing. Do you think I would have so many posts today if every time I wrote one I would think first about if the content would be decent, contribitive....or even relevant to the thread I'm responding to?

I hate censorship. And thinking can lead you to censor yourself.

Anyway...

Did anyone grin when Bard said "Winter is coming" (or something quite similar) toward the beginning of the film (in the Shores Of The Long Lake scene)?

Actually I completely missed that chance to grin at the film. Darn.

Do you get tired of the line "They were bred for a single/one purpose[dramatic pause]. War."? I think it was used at least three times in these films. They could liven it up a little with some other answer sometimes. Like "to disco", "weddings" or "be nice and polite".

Do you get tired of the line "They were bred for a single/one purpose[dramatic pause]. War."? I think it was used at least three times in these films.

Twice : in TTT and in this one.

Well, that didn't really bother me, to be honest (well, at least, it's not one of my major problems with the film). The dialogue between Legolas and Tauriel right before the bats show up, on the other hand...

All this talk of Angmar and these elven personal issues was awful. Tauriel and Kili scenes milking for emotional response were also gringe worthy. Oh and that last exchange between her and Thranduil. Super awkward! It just didn't ring true.

I am glad we had Bilbo and Thorin scenes to balance those out as both Freeman and Armitage were great in their scenes individually and together. I think the way they depicted dragon-sickness was very on the nose and near hypnosis but they wanted to get their message across in a reasonably short time so it was ok.

Yeah there were more lines that sounded like a variation of lines from the previous two films or LOTR.

Question

In DoS Gandalf battles Sauron and has his ass handed to him on a plate.

but in TBOFA Galadriel strives with the Dark Lord and defeats him, driving away to the East where we will take refuge in the ruins of Barad Dur. This suggests Galadriel is more powerfull. An Elf, even a high Elf who has worked in the light of the Two Trees should not be more powerfull then one of the Maiur, methinks.

Yeah there were more lines that sounded like a variation of lines from the previous two films or LOTR.

Question

In DoS Gandalf battles Sauron and has his ass handed to him on a plate.

but in TBOFA Galadriel strives with the Dark Lord and defeats him, driving away to the East where we will take refuge in the ruins of Barad Dur. This suggests Galadriel is more powerfull. An Elf, even a high Elf who has worked in the light of the Two Trees should not be more powerfull then one of the Maiur, methinks.

Yes the scene left me scratching my head. She is not supposed to be that powerful by any means, even though Sauron has not fully gained his strength. Besides she is all drained after springing Gandalf from his cage. Sauron btw retreats but it is never said if he went to Barad-dûr then or into the East. He arrives at the Dark Tower next year in the Tale of Years in LotR appendices. I would have expected that the combined power of the three elven rings would have repelled him but now Galadriel went nuclear and Sauron decided to split.

Spoilers are allowed in this thread. You can post non-spoilery general observations in the Last Film You Watched or Hobbit Trilogy thread if you like, but in this thread feel free to just discuss the film without worrying about it.

I would have mentioned all that in the main post of the thread, but GKG started the thread before the film was out for some reason, so there you go :P

I am glad we had Bilbo and Thorin scenes to balance those out as both Freeman and Armitage were great in their scenes individually and together.

Yeah. Thorin's death scene was pitch perfect (not talking about his fight scene with Azog here, just his moment with Bilbo). Superb acting by both actors here. Made me shed man tears (and I didn't think I would feel that way at any moment when watching those films!). I honestly can't say PJ fucked up that scene!

Yes that final scene was wonderfully staged and handled by all, director, actors, the composer. Really touching.

Yeah. Thorin's death scene was pitch perfect (not talking about his fight scene with Azog here, just his moment with Bilbo). Superb acting by both actors here. Made me shed man tears (and I didn't think I would feel that way at any moment when watching those films!). I honestly can't say PJ fucked up that scene!

I also thought the duel between Thorin and Azog was well done. Quite epic. And I liked the way Thorin used strategy rather then just aimlessly hacking at his opponent, which is usually what we see in these fightscenes.

I also thought the duel between Thorin and Azog was well done. Quite epic. And I liked the way Thorin used strategy rather then just aimlessly hacking at his opponent, which is usually what we see in these fightscenes.

That one final piece of strategy was almost humorous and got chuckles from the audience.

I thought the battle was rather meh, with a few good bits here and there.

The arrival of the eagles during the duel felt completely mishandled, by the way. It's almost treated like a non-event, really.

The battle was somewhat choppy at times but I preferred that they went to the close quarters instead of just showing the grand scale manoeuvering all the time.

Yes the eagles worked like the army of the dead in RotK, mopping up the rest of the enemies basically.

Yes the eagles worked like the army of the dead in RotK, mopping up the rest of the enemies basically.

Yeah, but at least the arrival of the army of the dead had a better build-up. Here, it really happens in about 30 seconds. It's just thrown in the middle of the duel between Thorin and Azog, and as such, makes no impact.

I think it would have been better, had they arrived after the duel. You know, Thorin is dying, Bilbo is next to him, he sees Bolg's army approaching, everything seems lost... And then, he hears an eagle approaching, looks up in the sky and here there are!

It just doesn't work for me, as it is, in the middle of the duel.

Yes it feels very strange and kind of thrown in there along with Beorn. I know Gandalf told Radagast that he needed to gather their allies, birds and beasts alike, but we don't get to see this at any point and then they stay for a minute or 2.

And PJ was saying prior to the film how the arrival of the eagles would not feel like deus ex machina and that they would be part of a plan. Well if the plan is what Gandalf said above it is not much is it.

True. Really at no point in the film does the battle seems lost. Unlike ROTK the big battle kind of disappears in the background after a while. Focusing on the grudge matched between Leggy and Bolg, Thorin and Azog and the Kili and Tauriel stuff.

I did really like the scene after the b attle with Gandalf and Bilbo, together but saying nothing. The Wizard trying to light a pipe.

I did really like the scene after the b attle with Gandalf and Bilbo, together but saying nothing. The Wizard trying to light a pipe.

Yeah, another great moment! Absolutely loved that bit!

As I said above a really nice gentle scene of great unspoken camaraderie and support.

Proof that PJ didn't not COMPLETELY lost it. ;)

Well I begrudgingly admit that! Barely!

Spoilers are allowed in this thread. You can post non-spoilery general observations in the Last Film You Watched or Hobbit Trilogy thread if you like, but in this thread feel free to just discuss the film without worrying about it.

I would have mentioned all that in the main post of the thread, but GKG started the thread before the film was out for some reason, so there you go :P

You guys want to write some none spoiler stuff in the other thread? Too many potential spoilers to waft through.

Will I hate this movie or no?

I requested spoiler tags for something in a post earlier, but that was because my question was something that KK had specifically asked not to be spoiled on, and I didn't want to come across as demanding "Tell him! Tell him!". :devil:

I've changed my mind now. Tell him everything!