How's your hearing?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How's your hearing?

• Perfect, no problems...
    • I've got a little hearing loss...
    • I've got some hearing loss...
    • I rely on implants/hearing aids...
    • I'm completely deaf.

According to the ENT's tests I'm noticeably muffled basically ~100-500 Hz and ~8000 kHz progressively getting worse to 20 kHz.

You can pull up an equalizer and turn down those ranges and simulate for yourself what music sounds to me right now.

TGP really can be a charmless, insulting knobhead and is fast becoming one of my least favorite members.

Not quite AI level, but still

I don't like you either.

It has more to do with your penchant for playing the role of self-righteous defender for anyone on here who I mock in the same way that we all mock each other all the time, rather than anything about you personally. Otherwise I like you.

It always seemed people that listen to rock music (or go to rock concerts) always play music much louder than soundtrack geeks. Maybe I was spared for appreciating instrumental music

Do you seriously not listen to anything else though? I feel like we've been through this but it still amazes me.

I turn up the orchestral music louder than the normal stuff. I need to hear all the details, so I resort to blasting.

It always seemed people that listen to rock music (or go to rock concerts) always play music much louder than soundtrack geeks. Maybe I was spared for appreciating instrumental music

Do you seriously not listen to anything else though? I feel like we've been through this but it still amazes me.

I don't think it matters, at least I have a defined musical taste and it constitutes a passion. Most people just go through life listening whatever on the radio or whatever "tune" is popular at the moment. Other people might just listen to a type of music to "self define" how "cool" they are to others, or how it sounds in a conversation with friends or the opposite sex.

You make it sound like I have very narrow and limited interests but there's almost infinite music I can listen to within my genre.

Also I think it makes sense that if you like classical/orchestral/film scores, then rock might rub you the wrong way. To me most pop music (rock, hip hop...) just sounds like loud noise. The sound of someone banging away on a drum kit does not please me. It's only purpose is as background noise in night clubs.

I don't think it matters, at least I have a defined musical taste and it constitutes a passion. Most people just go through life listening whatever on the radio or whatever "tune" is popular at the moment. Other people might just listen to a type of music to "self define" how "cool" they are to others, how it sounds in a conversation with friends or the opposite sex.

You make it sound like I have very narrow and limited interests but there's almost infinite music I can listen to within my genre.

Also I think it makes sense that if you like classical/orchestral/film scores, then rock might rub you the wrong way. To me most pop music (rock, hip hop...) just sounds like loud noise. The sound of someone banging away on a drum kit does not please me. It's only purpose is as background noise in night clubs.

That sums up how I feel about other genres too. I'm generally okay with a lot of pop music but none of it grabs me the way film music does.

I also get attacked for having "limited interests" and being "narrow minded" in the videogame thread too, because I play only Role Playing Games. But these are the games with the highest variety and complexity and I go through more titles from start to finish than anyone else here, while people accusing me of this play the mass market pleasers (Call of Duty, Halo..)

The thing with me is that I have a lot of hobbies and interests, but I trend to specialize in specific sub-genres.

The videogame thread is the most oddly cluttered thread on the MB with disconnected replies between each posts

Basically it's me (playing RPG's), Koray and Quint(playing latest online shooter), Marian(waiting for the next point and click adventure they'll never make), Wojo(re-starting his Skyrim game after a computer crash) and Jay playing some game on the Nintendo 3DS

Yeah, so? Nobody's playing your games and you're not playing the same games as anyone else, how can a conversation be sustained? Lee and Koray have their games, and weave conversations around. I have my games, which are one to twenty one years older than what anyone else plays, but I provide comments from time to time, pretty sure I'm not going to sustain conversation with anyone other than Marian about them, or you rolling your eyes about them, but I don't get petulant about it anymore. And of course, we have Stefan, who posts like Jojo the idiot handicapped dancing flower girl about how lame the entire thread is.

, but I provide comments from time to time, pretty sure I'm not going to sustain conversation with anyone other than Marian about them, or you rolling your eyes about them,

I'm just trying to nudge you towards buying a console because I see you in the same living nightmare of PC gaming I was stuck in pre-2006.Though you don't seem to realize it.

, but I provide comments from time to time, pretty sure I'm not going to sustain conversation with anyone other than Marian about them, or you rolling your eyes about them,

I'm just trying to nudge you towards buying a console because I see you in the same living nightmare of PC gaming I was stuck in pre-2006.Though you don't seem to realize it.

Nudge? Is that what you call it? Nothing about the way you celebrate consoles over PCs can even begin to resemble a constructive comment. You fear PC gaming because it's too expensive and daunting to you. You hate it, and just be I have some learning adventures along the way, you want me to abandon the fortune I've invested in the hobby and jump ship over to a console, where I won't be able to play the games I want to. When I want your advice, I'll let you know.

PC gaming is like a cash sink hole, and you just don't realize after years of fiddling with PC components,upgrading drivers,optimizing windows, adjusting graphics options, messing with game files..how good it feels to just put in a disk and have the game instantly work 100% of the time

PC gaming is like a cash sink hole, and you just don't realize after years of fiddling with PC components,upgrading drivers,optimizing windows, adjusting graphics options, messing with game files..how good it feels to just put in a disk and have the game instantly work 100% of the time

PC gamers are a lot like car enthusiasts. They like to tinker a lot, forgetting that the vehicle is just meant to get you from point A to point B, and then so on to point C.

I realized that in 2006, after 2 months of playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion, I was still mostly concerned about adjusting the shadow detail sliders than playing the game. That's when I said fuck this and never went back. Plus it made me hate Elder Scrolls Oblivion so much that I never completed it on the xbox360 afterwards.

It's true, I have serious hatred for PC gaming but it's not out of ignorance or fear as wojo claims since I was doing it back the 1980's when just getting a game to run was a feat in itself (Ultima VI). I too sank an an obscene about of cash into it and I used to buy magazines to compare the various components in detail and meticulously plan my upgrades

Then just laugh at me for having spent the money to make my system the way I want because, you know what, it works. My system does not crash every five minutes trying to play Skyrim like you get so much enjoyment from suggesting happens. I actually did not play the game at all in its vanilla state after a few months because it got boring. It was not until I got a great video card that my system became strong enough to allow me to mod the game, and now it holds my attention. I would rather play a heavily modded Skyrim on a machine with keyboard and mouse and low risk of crashing than vanilla Skyrim on a machine with gamepad and zero risk of crashing. My cost of living is low enough that I take pleasure in buying a $300 video card, it's not a burden to me.

A PC gaming machine that truly works costs 3000$ ,and needs to be replaced every 2 years .These are the people on the forums that claim their games run perfectly.

And it's always been 3000$. It was back in 1985 and now it's the same.Everything else they sell cheaper ends up not running the latest games properly

So now I know, if I ever get another gaming PC I'll shell out the 3000$ from the get go

To be fair, Bethesda RPGs have a ton of glitches and crashes on consoles. I couldn't play all the Skyrim DLC I bought because my PS3 would freeze every time a dragon showed up.

I don't think it matters, at least I have a defined musical taste and it constitutes a passion. Most people just go through life listening whatever on the radio or whatever "tune" is popular at the moment. Other people might just listen to a type of music to "self define" how "cool" they are to others, or how it sounds in a conversation with friends or the opposite sex.

I'm not doubting your passions, KM, but I also wouldn't say that you have a huge variance in tastes within film music ;)

See, you're dismissing entire genres of music as noise that's only purpose is background music in night clubs. What club have you been to that plays Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd? Cause I want to go there. I just find it odd that as a music lover, you don't find anything of value in other genres of music. It's all just rhythms and melodies using different instruments, to me.

I also get attacked for having "limited interests" and being "narrow minded" in the videogame thread too, because I play only Role Playing Games. But these are the games with the highest variety and complexity and I go through more titles from start to finish than anyone else here, while people accusing me of this play the mass market pleasers (Call of Duty, Halo..)

The thing with me is that I have a lot of hobbies and interests, but I trend to specialize in specific sub-genres.

I don't have a problem with your RPG gaming. Again, it just stems to lack of curiosity in other genres. You ignorantly judge a lot of games without every playing them, as well as Lee and I by saying all we play are FPSs, which is simply not true.

A PC gaming machine that truly works costs 3000$ ,and needs to be replaced every 2 years .These are the people on the forums that claim their games run perfectly.

And it's always been 3000$. It was back in 1985 and now it's the same.Everything else they sell cheaper ends up not running the latest games properly

So now I know, if I ever get another gaming PC I'll shell out the 3000$ from the get go

That's great, that's what those people do. Christ, they have more disposable income than me. When I built my current gaming rig, right before Fallout 3 came out, it cost me $1500 for new parts, but I had a lot of old parts too. I've added an SD, some hard drives, the new video card, a second monitor, new keyboard and mouse, and some USB accessories, but nowhere near the missing &$1500. It's also my do everything machine. And when I build a new machine, likely a small dedicated Steam box for the living room, I assure you it won't cost $3000. I don't need to have the most cutting edge system, I don't over clock, and I don't count fps. I have other passions. Movie soundtracks, rock music, SLR photography, and I have a serious gf. That alone means my days of deciding to invest hundreds into a machine that is only good for gaming, and all the games that never get cheap, could be winding down. That doesn't mean I'll stop gaming.

Well, it the replacing parts option that doesn't work for me. Something always seem to drag it down, like the motherboard becoming obsolete or the power requirements not being adequate. Or like when they decide to change the slot format for Graphics Cards meaning the rest of your PC is useless

Maybe if your lucky you bought your PC right before they institute a major format change. I bought my last one when they decided to dump AGP slots