Beauty and the Beast (2017 Live Action)

Jay

Well, here's the trailer:

My initial thoughts:

- Menken clearly had nothing to do with this trailer (at least I hope not, because yuck)

- Ewan McGregor is no Jerry Orbach

- Practical Beast makeup with CGI embellishments would've been better

well at least they corrected the error in the original film that had the torn picture of the prince with him looking the same as in the ending...while it should have been painted when he was a child... :P

The music might save the film...the designs look too much 'trying to be realistic' therefore the characters dont look like the original version at all...

Yea that's what I didn't like about those earlier pictures posted, the "trying to look realistic" feel they had

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Wut? Didn't the prince (as an adult) got turned into a beast because he refused to let an old woman come into his castle? That's what I remembered...

The timeline in 1991's Beauty and the Beast is a bit wonky. The rose is supposed to bloom until Beast's 21st year and we see it drop its last petal, so we know Beast is 21 by the end of the film. But Lumière mentions they've been enchanted for ten years, which would mean Beast was 11 when he turned the beggar lady away.

It gets even more confusing when you realize Chip (Mrs. Potts' son) looks like he's about eight years old when the spell is broken.

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend has already decided she's going to love this film, but I grow more weary of it with every bit of footage that's released. It looks like a whole lot of expensive nothing.

It's by far the worst, most tiresome Disney trend.  I'm mostly on board with Pixar, Disney Animation, Lucasfilm, and Marvel.  But this line of remakes of their animated classics is fucking awful.

At best, the movie will be well-made but pointless (Cinderella) and at worst a boring abomination (Jungle Book).

I liked The Jungle Book when I saw it that made for a more coherent film than the original.

Cinderella was a pointless clone of the original.

1991's Beauty and the Beast is great as it is, so why even bother?

Totally agreed

That was one of the biggest problems with the Hobbit films; Apart from a few gorgeous shots clearly shot outside in New Zealand, EVERYTHING looked like it was obviously filmed indoors

I didn't mind it as much in The Hobbit because the sets themselves were really cool.  Great production design.  I think I had this discussion before with someone about Hook, but I actually like the heightened reality of obvious sets.  Guess it's why I enjoy classic films a lot.

I'm not saying I want every movie to be like that or anything.  But yeah, I don't enjoy CGI sets very much.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

That was one of the biggest problems with the Hobbit films; Apart from a few gorgeous shots clearly shot outside in New Zealand, EVERYTHING looked like it was obviously filmed indoors

I was watching The Two Towers the other day and noticed how one of the major strengths of The Lord of the Rings was the huge amount of location work and the stuff shot on outdoor sets. There's a simple excitement to seeing Mortensen, Bloom and Rhys-Davies (or his scale double anyway) race across vast open fields. And it's not just the fact that New Zealand has beautiful landscapes, but the fact that these are actual people in actual costumes exposed to actual sun/wind/rain/whatever.

It makes for a much more tangible experience than a lot of the very set-bound Hobbit scenes.

I watched last year's The Jungle Book again yesterday and it is still quite brilliant in my book.
Probably my biggest surprise of 2016 and it may actually be my favourite film of the year.

So far I've enjoyed pretty much all their animated film remakes.
Though Pete's Dragon that I watched last week was decidedly less inspired than the others.
Not a bad film; just nothing at all special either. Music sounded surprisingly decent though.

On the other hand, I honestly haven't a clue why they're bothering with this The Lion King remake now.
That really does strike me as being particularly pointless.
Half of the cool stuff from the original animated film already made it into The Jungle Book, so what are they going to do now?

I wouldn't say no to a John Debney score for it though!

But I'd much rather see a live-action remake of Mulan (WITH good music "on par with" Jerry Goldsmith's original!).

That could definitely lead somewhere very cool. And at the very least it'll make for some awesome visuals!

It might become especially interesting if they try to tie it in as much as possible with actual Chinese history. Somehow.

A live-action version of Aladdin, with the focus less on songs and more on the Arabian adventure could be cool too.

They could do something very worthwhile with that film, with portraying the Arabians as actual Arabians and doing it all very tastefully.
And for the composer, they can choose someone who is NOT Alan Menken! :D

On 6-1-2017 at 5:25 PM, BloodBoal said:

I think a big problem with many CG environments is that they lack depth. Too often CG is used to depict vast environments but it just doesn't work because you don't feel the depth of them. It all feels "flat" (a big reason for that is another major pet peeve of mine with recent movies: fake skies. God, I hate these guys). Fake lighting doesn't help in that regard.

One of the things I found really cool in The Jungle Book is that, despite the film being obviously mostly CGI,

they often deliberately did NOT make the skies look "too impressive". Which I do reckon added to the believability of the film.