Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Well, Star Wars has a very pre-established sound so people like when it sounds "old-fashioned" so to speak, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Still, I keep hearing this in my head when the Raptors are released with Pratt:

Speaking of which, I really hope Giacchino goes for a mix of the two first scores. I wanna hear lots of wild percussion, please.

I lol'd at the end of the trailer, with Pratt driving a motorcycle alongside some raptors. It's one of those things that's on the boderline of awesome and totally ridiculous, almost like a Chuck Norris joke.

CGI looks like trash, too, but I'm guessing that'll improve by June. Otherwise, this should be fun. I'll gladly check it out in IMAX 3D.

I dunno, looks a bit better than JP3. Even TLW isn't that great a film so

I don't know, it entertains me more than the Disneyfied first movie - though both look like masterpieces next to this. I still maintain that within the frame of a very thin story and badly written characters, the two Spielberg JP's feature some of the best action sequences ever put to film and with dozens of action movies coming out every year, that's saying something. JP4 looks just idiotic.

Maybe it's a Hainosaurus variant. Or maybe the same scientists that brought you a genetically modified smart dinosaur simply injected the equivalent of human growth hormone into their show beasts.

They made the Mosasaur so absurdly big.

Like the raptors...

Lets face it... i think they are going with the series more towards 'theme park monsters' than real dinosaurs.

Because dinosaur knowledge has advanced much in late years, but to keep a consistent look for the dinosaurs..it is neccessary to maintain the same designs.

I for one love the original concepts so i dont care if the series continues in the same way. I also grew with the 80s-90s dinosaur look.

They can create more accurate films if they want, but please let them be not children oriented like walking with dinosaurs!

And scientists are so confident they've discovered every possible dinosaur that ever lived because they have successfully mapped one hundred percent of the fossil record, right?

Usable DNA doesn't survive for the time and quantities necessary to clone dinosaurs. Period. After that, it's science fiction.

And scientists are so confident they've discovered every possible dinosaur that ever lived because they have successfully mapped one hundred percent of the fossil record, right?

No, they give names to the gaps in the record.

The 80s-90s dinosaur look? How are they depicted now?

colourfully feathered for the most part.

I'm just thinking... even if Nublar is U.S. territory, is it legal to send two kids on a trip thousands of miles away from the country alone, without a legal tutor? It would have made more sense if one of the brothers was over 18...

The only explanation I see is that they are Miss Howard's or other park crew nephews.

Why are people so resistant to the notion of feathered dinosaurs?

I don't know. But they later will complain that this keeps being the same all over again. What would seem like the expected evolution of these films has been constantly abandoned after the first film. The cool stuff in the first film was the result of listening to 80's nerds (nerds in several areas), but nobody wants to listen to the nerds anymore, it seems. That's why we don't get more unkown and "odd" dinosaurs (and non-dinosaurs), no feathers or feather-like structures, no correctly positioned hands, no "cute" theropods and scarier non-theropods, not so much of animals as monster movie logic (I preferred a more adventure movie thing), hell, they could even use Cenozoic stuff, it would make perfect sense in the base idea of the series. Yet people want to be "surprised" by something like in 1993.

What was that line about the seventies, "the lunatics running the asylum"? What if "the lunatics" made a Jurassic Park these days? Maybe you'd get well written characters. Maybe you'd get fantastic action moments like in the first film. Maybe you'd get, like, fucking feathers.

And the "it's a movie" attempt at a justification actually makes no sense whatsoever.

Or like John Conway puts it: "ha, ha, stupid nerds, caring about stuff we don't care about, they're so funny." ;)

All this talk about feathered dinosaurs, does it extend to every single species from the Triassic through the very end, including all ornithischians as well as saurischians, or only a select few theropods and coelurosaurs in the late Cretaceous?

Because I can see the reason for feathers on Ceolophysis and Velociraptor or Troodon as they or similar bipedal species evolved into Archaeopteryx and later birds. I just can't see the point for animals like Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus, Triceratops, and other quadruped dinosaurs to have feathers, assuming that they had diverged from the bird ancestors millions of years prior.

Otherwise saying "all *dinosaurs* have feathers" is like saying all surviving reptiles lay eggs, or all modern mammals have live births, or all modern birds fly.

All this talk about feathered dinosaurs, does it extend to every single species from the Triassic through the very end, including all ornithischians as well as saurischians, or only a select few theropods and coelurosaurs in the late Cretaceous?

I think you're an asshole but I'm answering you.

Feathers seem to have been there from the beginning. Feathers, fur and feather-like structures seem to have been present in many clades of theropods also from very early. And not a select few theropods, theropods well removed from birds had this stuff too. No evidence of this has been found in Sauropods. Some ornitischians did have stuff like this.

Some things to take into account: the difficult conditions necesary for feathers to fossilize (although sometimes you can find evidence in the bones, like Velociraptor's arms), dinosaurs superior vision and worse hearing than the mammals we might take as a reference, and dinosaur growth and body changes, and so on.

My own feelings are that there was a little bit of everything. A group could have proto-feathers or feathers, and lose them later in time, because I find the idea of several independent origins of feathers within dinosaurs hard to grasp.

You know what I'm gonna do?

I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible

Hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps

And all leather cow interior

And big brown baby seal eyes for head lights (yeah)

And I'm gonna drive in that baby at 115 miles per hour

Gettin' 1 mile per gallon,

Sucking down Quarter Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonald's

In the old fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers

And when I'm done sucking down those greaseball burgers

I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag

And then I'm gonna toss the styrofoam containers right out the side

And there ain't a goddamn thing anybody can do about it

You know why, because we've got the bomb, that's why

Two words, nuclear fucking weapons, OK?

Russia, Germany, Romania, they can have all the democracy they want

They can have a big democracy cakewalk

Right through the middle of Tiananmen Square

And it won't make a lick of difference

Because we've got the bombs, OK?

John Wayne's not dead, he's frozen

And as soon as we find a cure for cancer

We're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off

You know why

Have you ever taken a cold shower?

Well multiply that by 15 million times

That's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be!

I'm gonna get the Duke, and John Cassavetes

And Lee Marvin, and Sam Peckinpah, and a case of whiskey

And drive down to Texas and

(Hey! You know, you really are an asshole!)

Why don't you just shut up and sing the song, pal?

I'm an asshole (he's an asshole, what an asshole)

I want to see several Raptors with PhD in this next movie, helping the scientists in lab coats and discussing genetics with them.

labcoat.png

Philosoraptor: The Movie. That's what we need.

Karol

Stephen Fry could do the voice and Andy Serkis the motion capture.