Close Encounters OST also being reissued - on SACD November 27

Jay

I've developed a real fetish for old albums on CD

Also, Home Alone 2 is a better listen on the OST than the complete/chronological score.

I'm one of the victims that bought the expensive Home Alone 2 Deluxe Edition. :(

I've noticed that lately I've been more inclined to listen to the original albums (and the original sequencing - omissions be damned) rather than opting for the expanded/complete releases

So Thor has been right all these years and we can finally see the light.

I didn't have an issue with Williams albums until the 2000s. I think it was because at that time, we had the privilege of expanded or complete releases of his scores, so we suddenly felt entitled to all the music.

I've had issues with Williams albums since the late '70s.

Every score should get an album arrangement done by the composer, and a complete version released down the road. Then the consumer can decide which one they prefer.

Thor is an OST fanatic. But that's balanced out by the C&C fanaticism of the rest of the film score community. Both sides seem to be dismissive of the other's tastes.

But as for Williams, I think his album presentations are generally superior to the expansions. Although he does make errors in judgement, like unnecessarily microediting the shit out of Desert Chase.

Every score should get an album arrangement done by the composer

Why? The composer is hired to create the music for the film, not to produce an album based in the original score.

I should have clarified: an album arrangement overseen by the composer, if he or she wants to.

Also, Home Alone 2 is a better listen on the OST than the complete/chronological score.

Agreed.

The LLL-version sounds great though.

But since a lot of tracks on the OST are created by edited versions of a recorded track (or a combination of tracks), and the LLL-version presents the tracks in their recorded form - this makes it impossible to re-create the OST from LLL by simply making a playlist in your iTunes.

Unless you've got some mad editing skills, and are able to re-create those edits yourself in a wav-studio. Then you could enjoy the OST with the remastered sound. Otherwise, the choice stands between a "better listen" and "better sound". Oh, the torment.

Modern JW OSTs can be frustrating. Part of the problem is that he isn't composing perfect scores anymore. So back in the day, he could leave off bigger moments and it was alright because every second of the album's running time was comprised of perfect music. Nowadays, a lot of autopilot/filler music makes the OST and much of the good stuff gets left out.

The big problem now is that he feels like he has to fill up a 70 minute disc, which can become tedious as a listening experience. But before, he was content with 40 minutes and that seems like the magic number for a good OST.

Double albums worked for Star Wars, Superman The Movie and The Empire Strikes Back.

I think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi should have been double albums.

The LLL sounds better than the Varese.

I thought LLL said they kept "the composer approved mastering" or something to that effect. Pretty sure this is the first I've ever heard of it having improved sonics, including in the press release.

Just listen to Return of the Jedi, then compare it to all later releases, including the Anthology, which doesn't even sound bad (except to Alexcremers). It's like, what the fuck happened?

Double albums worked for Star Wars, Superman The Movie and The Empire Strikes Back.

They were sort of OK for the time they were released.

I think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi should have been double albums.

No kidding.

And some people think there's nothing wrong with the '97 sound quality!

Everything is wrong with it. For crying out loud, the original 1983 CD album sounds as though it was released after the RCA version, which sounds like a horribly compressed bootleg.

Star Wars is one of the best OSTs ever and if I wanted to introduce someone to film music for the first time I'd use either that or ET. But I find that I've been gravitating toward the ROTJ OST a lot lately because of its taut editing, concert suite structure, and rapid pacing.

When Sony's hold on the Star Wars scores is finally over, am I very hopeful that the powers that be at Disney will hire Mike Matessino to do a full re-do of the original scores. If that happens I am sure that a new version would have better sound quality than any prior CD version, and he would likely include the appropriate bonus tracks such that the original LP programs can all be replicated, if an entire disc isn't dedicated to reproducing them that is.

My issues with the ROTJ OST aren't so much the exclusion of music, but the inclusion of zany source music that wasn't even used in the film. You know, Lapti Nek and Ewok Celebration. I love Ewoks, but even I can admit that cartoon sounding version of the song is pretty jarring when listening through the original album. Same goes for the Jabba's Palace Band disco song.

If Polydor/RSO could fix its ESB to have the whole 2-LP album, and release it with matching artwork with the 80s CDs, I'll be very happy.

My issues with the ROTJ OST aren't so much the exclusion of music, but the inclusion of zany source music that wasn't even used in the film. You know, Lapti Nek and Ewok Celebration. I love Ewoks, but even I can admit that cartoon sounding version of the song is pretty jarring when listening through. Same goes for the Jabba's Palace Band disco song.

I love all those tracks as they are on the album.

Shame there was never a complete Japanese release of TESB's OST.

It should be noted that if you rearrange the ESB CD album tracks into their intended order, the truncated 40 minute program is still a fairly good summation of the score.

:music: Return of the Jedi OST...yep, a perfect listening experience, although I skipped Lapti Nek.

I don't hate it or anything, but I frequently leave it out so as not to interrupt the orchestral music.

Ah, but another big reason I love that OST is that it's a more colourful musical experience, with Lapti Nek and Ewok Celebration being those short breaks from traditional orchestra.

When Sony's hold on the Star Wars scores is finally over, am I very hopeful that the powers that be at Disney will hire Mike Matessino to do a full re-do of the original scores. If that happens I am sure that a new version would have better sound quality than any prior CD version, and he would likely include the appropriate bonus tracks such that the original LP programs can all be replicated, if an entire disc isn't dedicated to reproducing them that is.

I'll say Amen to that.

Here's a little recap of the different US editions of this legendary score over the years.

p_al9500.jpg

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1977, Arista, AL 9500)

Main Title And Mountain Visions; Nocturnal Pursuit; The Abduction Of Barry; I Can't Believe It's Real; Climbing Devil's Tower; The Arrival Of Sky Harbor; Night Seige; The Conversation; The Appearance Of The Visitors; Resolution And End Title.

(Also issued for Promo with a Complimentary Single, Arista, AL 9500/AS 9500)

(Reissued in 1977, Arista, AL5-8078)

(Reissued in 1977, Arista, ALB6-8365)

(Reissued in 1988, Arista Records, ARCD 8365)

p_vsd5275.jpg

(Reissued in 1990, Varèse Sarabande, VSD-5275)

Main Title And Mountain Visions; Nocturnal Pursuit; The Abduction Of Barry; I Can't Believe It's Real; Climbing Devil's Tower; The Arrival Of Sky Harbor; Night Seige; The Conversation; The Appearance Of The Visitors; Resolution And End Title; Bonus Track: Theme From Close Encounters of The Third Kind (disco version).

p_106435547.jpg

(Reissued in 2004 as a DVD-Audio, Classic Records, 106435547)

Main Title And Mountain Visions; Nocturnal Pursuit; The Abduction Of Barry; I Can't Believe It's Real; Climbing Devil's Tower; The Arrival Of Sky Harbor; Night Seige; The Conversation; The Appearance Of The Visitors; Resolution And End Title.

p_ce3k_sacd.jpg

(Reissued in 2015 as a SACD, Audio Fidelity)

Main Title And Mountain Visions; Nocturnal Pursuit; The Abduction Of Barry; I Can't Believe It's Real; Climbing Devil's Tower; The Arrival Of Sky Harbor; Night Seige; The Conversation; The Appearance Of The Visitors; Resolution And End Title; Bonus Track: Theme From Close Encounters of The Third Kind (disco version).

p_07822190042.jpg

Close Encounters of the Third Kind [The Collector's Edition Soundtrack] (1977) (1998, Arista, 07822-19004-2)

Opening: Let There Be Light; Navy Planes; Lost Squadron; Roy's First Encounter; Encounter At Crescendo Summit; Chasing UFOs; False Alarm; Barry's Kidnapping; The Cover-Up; Stars And Trucks; Forming The Mountain; TV Reveals; Roy And Gillian On The Road; The Mountain; "Who Are You People?"; The Escape; The Escape (Alternate Cue); Trucking; Climbing The Mountain; Outstretch Hands; Lightshow; Barnstorming; The Mothership; Wild Signals; The Returnees; The Visitors/"Bye"/End Titles: The Special Edition.

Here's a little recap of the different US editions of this legendary score over the years.

p_al9500.jpg

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1977, Arista, AL 9500)

(Also issued for Promo with a Complimentary Single, Arista, AL 9500/AS 9500)

(Reissued in 1977, Arista, AL5-8078)

(Reissued in 1977, Arista, ALB6-8365)

(Reissued in 1988, Arista Records, ARCD 8365)

p_vsd5275.jpg

(Reissued in 1990, Varèse Sarabande, VSD-5275)

p_106435547.jpg

(Reissued in 2004 as a DVD-Audio, Classic Records, 106435547)

p_ce3k_sacd.jpg

(Reissued in 2015 as a SACD, Audio Fidelity)

p_07822190042.jpg

Close Encounters of the Third Kind [The Collector's Edition Soundtrack] (1977) (1998, Arista, 07822-19004-2)

Opening: Let There Be Light; Navy Planes; Lost Squadron; Roy's First Encounter; Encounter At Crescendo Summit; Chasing UFOs; False Alarm; Barry's Kidnapping; The Cover-Up; Stars And Trucks; Forming The Mountain; TV Reveals; Roy And Gillian On The Road; The Mountain; "Who Are You People?"; The Escape; The Escape (Alternate Cue); Trucking; Climbing The Mountain; Outstretch Hands; Lightshow; Barnstorming; The Mothership; Wild Signals; The Returnees; The Visitors/"Bye"/End Titles: The Special Edition.

<>

I have the extremely rare Alhambra version as well!

Let the bidding start!

(Also issued for Promo with a Complimentary Single, Arista, AL 9500/AS 950)

Again, it was not just a promo, but a commercial release in most countries.

Well, I specified US disco only.